VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jools Holland performance of You Can Dance - Two drummers...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 am 

Here's a youtube link to BF's recent live performance of You Can Dance on Jools Holland/Later. A very heavy and loud rendition of the song that pretty much overwhelms his (not very strong) vocals... But Ollie T sounds good if nothing else!

Interestingly, it also features TWO drummers (Andy Newmark and his son Tara) something that seems unusual for BF. My interpretation is that he didn't want to take on such a prominent gig with only Tara on drums. But that's just me reading the tea leaves from out in the peanut gallery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqDkiwrRys

Post subject: Re: Jools Holland performance of You Can Dance - Two drummers...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:05 am 

Having been sceptical as to how such an over-produced track would sound live I must say that I was quite impressed with the performance (only viewed it once so far). It sounded powerful and far better than the album. Bryan's voice was fine. I just wish he'd done this type of more spontaneous recording for the album rather than the over-produced effort he has released.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:14 am 

Did he perform any other songs on the show?
In my opinion the song worked very well played live, even though Bryan's vocal was a bit weak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:04 pm 

In my opinion, the performance got better as it went on. Bryan’s voice sounded pretty tired in the first few bars but seemed to find another level towards the end. DCJ’s observation about the two drummers is valid, though I must say I only noticed Andy Newmark towards the end. Rather than not having faith in his son, perhaps the song warrants two different drumming styles – not that I’m an expert or anything. Both Andy and Tara are credited on several of Olympia’s songs, so perhaps they were simply present to recreate the sounds of the album. The JH version of last night was welcome in its originality, and at least etched out the memories of several badly-dubbed covers (Strictly/Titchmarsh/Loose). The sound was very rocky and loud – which is a feature of recent Roxy/Ferry shows I happen to like a lot. If Bryan’s voice is in fact on the wane, his ability to conduct a band and create great music can be by no means underestimated. Looking forward to Friday’s extended play.. any idea what else he sang?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:09 pm 

Just a question : who is this Stewart who composes this song with Bryan and others in this album and other albums of Bryan ? Is it Dave Stewart?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:27 pm 

Dave Stewart of Eurythmics, yes.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:55 pm 

Ty Roxy ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:10 pm 

I guess I should know this, but who was the second guitarist (on the the opposite side of the stage from Ollie T and next to the bass player)? I presume his presence had something to do with the heavy/rock sound of the performance.

Overall, it was a powerhouse performance by the band that got me to think of Roxy's 1975 live version of Out of the Blue in which BF's vocals are set atop an incredibly intense and heavy instrumentation (it represents John Wetton at his finest IMHO and Eddie J is certainly pulling his weight not to mention TGPT...).

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9QpI3wVvek

Of course OOTB is a far more compelling song than You Can Dance but that's a different story...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:39 pm 

I was hoping he would play another song from the album but I was very impressed with this last night. BF's voice sounded better than the album version and the guitar playing from Ollie was excellent...yep, sounded great all round. Just a pity I watched the despicable Holland and the rest of the garbage that was on the show but it was nice to see a band of white guys with beards, longish hair and acoustic guitars for a change.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:18 pm 

Quote:
I guess I should know this, but who was the second guitarist (on the the opposite side of the stage from Ollie T and next to the bass player)? I presume his presence had something to do with the heavy/rock sound of the performance.

It looks like Chester Kamen who played with Bryan in the late 80's eearly 90's.

8-)