VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Jools Holland performance of You Can Dance - Two drummers...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 pm 

I think what makes the continued promotion of You Can Dance appear questionable (or at least problematic) is that the song essentially attracted no attention (or generated any meaningful buzz) when it was released back in late July/early August - and this came despite a heavily promoted video replete with a plethora of slithering babes. I guess BF and his management team keep hoping that somehow, someway YCD will catch on with the public or radio programmers. But so far, success has proven illusory....

The song that seems most plausible for radio play is Heartaches By Number, given its association with Scissors Sisters and the fact that it has a relatively catchy verse/chorus format. But the mix of HBN doesn't make it seem all that danceable - given the enormous number of remixes trundled out for YCD and Shameless you'd think that maybe BF could do something with HBN! Other than the annoying BIG CLAP motif on the chorus, the drums are buried waaaay down in the mix - popping in a crisp, snappy snare beat under the verses could do wonders IMHO. But hey, I'm just some guy out in the hinterlands with a computer connection and (clearly) too much time on my hands...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:54 am 

superb show last night, nice to see bryan given the respect he deserved with 3 songs (more than anyone else on the night). as much as i enjoyed YCD, i did question the vocals, but i have to say ferry was on top form last night. song to the siren is one of the hardest songs, vocally, on the album - and he tried it (for one of the first times live presumably) live on air, with great success. sounded great and he captured the mood of the song beautifully. a really cracking effort and nice to see him try something a bit more demanding. shameless, to me, sounded a bit flat - but again, no fault of bryan's whose vocals were pretty much faultless. all in all, a cracking -albeit brief - display and i very much look forward to the solo tour! superb for a 65 yr old..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:26 am 

I generally agree. YCD and Shameless both sounded better than I expected (but expectations were low) and Song to the Siren was brilliant. Obviously there is a vibrancy to live performances which the overcooked studio sessions kill - perhaps he should do a Dylanesque style video and perform the whole Olympic album live.

Has anyone else noticed the similarity between Manifesto and Olympic? Manifesto was unashamedly divided into East Side and West Side and Olympic seems to have a similar split: Crap Side (tracks 1-5) and Rather Good Side (tracks 6-10).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:30 pm 

Further to my previous posting, I've just seen footage of "Siren" and "Shamless" on Jools. Both brilliant I thought. I'd actually like to see him touring this fresh material with his band.