VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Lock-Down Favourite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:28 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Bitter-Sweet for me. It still surprises me with its creativity and scope. The arrangements and musicianship stand up so well , the album is both of its time and of the past, and its context is a reminder that the world needs artists to get us through dark times.

Hipsters,
avalon_eyes a choisi les bon mots !
Bitter-Sweet is a masterpiece and we do indeed need artists to get us thru’ any times. Let alone these dark ones.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:28 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
I've been delving into the back catalogue during lockdown 2 .......it was wonderful to reacquaint myself with The Chosen One - such a powerful opener for side two and a brilliant groove. The dizzying days of our hero at number one. Where did the intervening 35 years go?

Philosophical Philanderers ,

No sooner had W2 read the ever tasteful UKRichard’s words, he found himself reaching for ‘Boys & Girls’ to give ‘The Chosen One’ a spin.

What a great chanson this is and is there another artist on the planet with a back catalogue as diverse as friend Ferry ?

More lock down favourites please.

Salutations,

Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:16 pm 

Very interesting threads, Lock-Down Favourite and To Make The Cognoscenti Think. As Windswept likes to put it, Roxology is a broad church. While one VRM member loves a song or an album most of all another member would never again listen to it or asks himself how Roxy/Ferry could ever write or record that one.

I noticed that especially when Windswept named some songs from his lock-down favourite Olympia. He likes No Face No Name No Number (so do I), he dislikes You Can Dance (so do I, at least in the album mix), he likes Reason Or Rhyme (nothing special to me) and he dislikes Song For The Siren (my favourite from this album, maybe because Andy plays oboe). Pardonnez-moi, M. Windswept ... But I remember that we both like Robert Palmer, Ray Davies etc.

Oberon often wrote here that he likes Mamouna (the album) very much. Well, to me it always was a strange beauty. I only play it as a whole because I have still difficulties to keep some songs apart ... But Flesh + Blood is really a good album as Oberon wrote recently. Especially No Strange Delight is pure Roxy.

Enjoy Roxy/Ferry and take care of yourself in these times

- p -

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:52 pm 

pianoman wrote:

“I noticed that especially when Windswept named some songs from his lock-down favourite Olympia. He likes No Face No Name No Number (so do I), he dislikes You Can Dance (so do I, at least in the album mix), he likes Reason Or Rhyme (nothing special to me) and he dislikes Song For The Siren (my favourite from this album, maybe because Andy plays oboe). Pardonnez-moi, M. Windswept ... But I remember that we both like Robert Palmer, Ray Davies etc.”
- p -

Fellow Roxologists,
Pianoman raises an interesting point. How can we be so harmonious in our appreciation of some tracks but not others ?
‘Song For The Siren’ is an interesting case. It is one of Windswept’s all time favourites and when he heard that it was on ‘Olympia’ he was indecently excited.
Indeed the initial listenings went well and W2 liked it. After a while, when it started to loose its lustre, Windswept went back and listened to other versions - particularly Tim Buckley’s original and Robert Plant’s take. They exposed the problem, Ferry had over worked the production to a ridiculous extent that he’d taken the soul out of it.
A rare misstep. Had he approached it in the way he approached ‘Carikfurgus’ we could have had something exceptional.
In a strange way W2 felt let down. Does that seem bizarre.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:50 pm 

A Lock-Down Favourite? I think I Thought...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:09 pm 

True2Life wrote:
A vote here for In Your Mind, the perennial bridesmaid of the Ferry solo work, rarely represented in recent live setlists. Why? Perhaps it represents an unhappy personal time for Bryan, plus if I recall correctly it was supposed to break him in the US as a solo artist but the US record company didn't think there was a single on the album and he lost a fortune on the US tour.

Love Me Madly Again - how delighted was I when it returned to the ranks on the Dylanesque tour? And the title track could well enjoy the treatment given to Boys and Girls on Bitter Sweet.

Unlike you WS2 Olympia has never connected with me, it struck me as being Ferry bringing in young and hip collaborators to remain "contemporary" but coming across as too much grandad at the disco. Avonmore was far more to my liking. Although of course the 9 credited guitarists on One Night Stand may be 6 or 7
more than are strictly necessary.

And Bitter Sweet. An unexpected jewel of an album and one that, while maybe not reaching his largest audience, deserves live performance when these dark times end.

I agree with you about In Your Mind. Chris Spedding was excellent on this album and for me made it what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:31 pm 

I've only listened to Avonmore Bryan-wise during lock down.

Otherwise it's been completely Devo...check out the 1996 Lollapalooza live gig when they supported and destroyed Metallica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:53 am 

On Saturday I played in reverse chronological order , “Let’s Stick Together”, “Another Time, Another Place”, and “These Foolish Things”, altogether a real nostalgia trip . And of course they all stand up to any musical standards of any age, particularly Ferry’s vocals, the creativity at play, the musicianship, the arrangements, the players, and the sheer eternal joy of the songs. Re-visit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:03 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
On Saturday I played in reverse chronological order , “Let’s Stick Together”, “Another Time, Another Place”, and “These Foolish Things”, altogether a real nostalgia trip . And of course they all stand up to any musical standards of any age, particularly Ferry’s vocals, the creativity at play, the musicianship, the arrangements, the players, and the sheer eternal joy of the songs. Re-visit.

I love all of the Roxy/BF/PM/AM/Eno albums made in the early to mid 70s. With the exception of Mainstream, all of the albums have a Roxy sound IMHO. Not really surprising!

Let's Stick together is a very good offering considering what it consists of. Again Chris Spedding is at his best. My only compalint is the fade out of 2HB, which cuts out some great work by TGPT.