VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Brya Ferry - arte-tv
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:10 pm 

I found the place again where Bryan talks about a new version of his Bete Noir Album...

Maybe he's been working on it for a long time ...

Bitter-Sweet is perversely true to the spirit of everything he’s ever done, cherishing the afterlife of his classic songs and burnishing them for new ears, pulling off the remarkable feat of re-modelling the 1920s sound for the 2020s. Just as remarkably, it’s not nostalgic – there is too much life in the music. It is one model for the graceful ageing of an artist. Superficially at least, it may sound like his old rival David Bowie took a radically different route with Blackstar, but in the end, both records are about acceptance of the inevitable. And at least Ferry has more leeway to further explore the notion... “There’s not really much time to do that,” he says, with perhaps a hint of rue. “The record I’d like to recreate is Bête Noire. I couldn’t quite get over the way that sounded.” I can’t second that emotion. Even as we speak, Bête Noire is playing in all its croony tristesse.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:04 pm 

Danke Dir, Uwe, für den Link. Bryan should feel free to re-work this album. But would he use the vocal parts from 1987 or re-record them with his voice as it sounds today? Of course I'd buy a re-modelled Bȇte Noir - I am a completist 8-). But: IMNSHO it is a document of the pop/rock sound in 1987 - and should stay so (even if it contains extremely good song material) ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:58 pm 

Chers amis!

As the great W2 use to say, BF/Roxy is a broad, generous church, but please don´t let the old clown with the wig in. To me Reg is not far from Gary Glitter. But i guess we all have our "sins"!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:26 pm 

Bete Noire is far and away my least played Ferry album. If he wants to remake it that's fine by me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:56 am 

Uwe wrote:
I found the place again where Bryan talks about a new version of his Bete Noir Album...

Maybe he's been working on it for a long time ...

Bitter-Sweet is perversely true to the spirit of everything he’s ever done, cherishing the afterlife of his classic songs and burnishing them for new ears, pulling off the remarkable feat of re-modelling the 1920s sound for the 2020s. Just as remarkably, it’s not nostalgic – there is too much life in the music. It is one model for the graceful ageing of an artist. Superficially at least, it may sound like his old rival David Bowie took a radically different route with Blackstar, but in the end, both records are about acceptance of the inevitable. And at least Ferry has more leeway to further explore the notion... “There’s not really much time to do that,” he says, with perhaps a hint of rue. “The record I’d like to recreate is Bête Noire. I couldn’t quite get over the way that sounded.” I can’t second that emotion. Even as we speak, Bête Noire is playing in all its croony tristesse.

Hipsters,
What a great post from Uwe.
W2 agrees with him completely regarding ‘Bitter-Sweet’. He brilliantly describes the thrill of it all.
That said I’m firmly with friend Ferry on re-making/re-modelling ‘Bete Noire’. Windswept can imagine the renditions as he sits in this empty cafe. It will be quite brilliant
Of course Uwe, we won’t be taking your VO off you. It will still exist and you will still be able to play it.
Mais, Bryan, ‘Bete Noire’ redux s’il vous plait. Aller !
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:31 pm 

Wow !!! Thank you so much for posting this UWE. I have been transfixed and like Windswept agree that it is the best documentary that I have ever seen about our hero. Why can't British TV ( eg BBC4 ) show programmes of this calibre ? Agree with Rendezvous that I couldn't understand the narration :lol: ! I wish we could have heard all of Bryan's conversation : my ears were straining like mad just to catch the odd word. My hubby studied at Newcastle Uni and indeed that looked very familiar. I too remember attending Roxy Music concerts in the early 70's when everyone was dressed up and the men had black slicked hair and white jackets. Brilliant times ...
Although there were a lot of familiar photos there, there were some real jewels as well such as the Gas Board playing live and some lesser known photos of Bryan as a child.
Can anyone tell me anything about the French " soap opera " ? I had never seen that before. What year was it filmed etc ?
I still think Bryan would have made a great James Bond !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:15 pm 

Can anyone tell me anything about the French " soap opera " ? I had never seen that before. What year was it filmed etc ?

Prairie Rose asked the above.

It was a long running French tv soap, called Petite Dejeuner, I think the British translation would be "bed and breakfast" , but there are plenty of linguistic experts on here to put me right.

The episode with Bryan was filmed in1979 during the manifesto tour. He has a fling with the new landlady .....the original landlady allegedly looked after Bryan years earlier when He was a struggling artiste. She died in a bizarre cooking accident!

Bryan is actually very natural in this.

The Roxy musicians are played by actors in the hotel scenes.....they're crap as lookalikes go!

The episode is available on You tube.

Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:01 pm 

Don't put your linguistic skills down, Rendezvous! ;)

It was actually called Petit Déjeuner Compris (which translates as Breakfast Included) and there's a clip here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=br ... M%3DHDRSC3