A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 2021 Tour cancelled
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:28 am 

It's better this way.

Post subject: Re: 2021 Tour cancelled
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:51 pm 

I feel really sorry about it - for Bryan and for his musical staff, too. But Covid 19 is still around and I cannot imagine there will be a sufficient amount of fans at these concerts. Sufficient means to me that the shows won't be cost-covering when the distances between the chairs have to be kept. Sad but it's better for our health.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:25 pm 

Gyrating Geriatrics & Locked Down Lotharios,

This is disastrous news.

Un an sans Ferry is just too much !

W2 is beginning to think we are all suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

Windswept has had the jab. Is bursting with anti-bodies and is ready to fandango.

This Covid thing is going to be with us forever. We just have to learn to live with it and get on with the show.

Perhaps ‘The Bonny Lad’ could do a residency at Ronnie Scott’s instead. Windswept bets the tickets would sell out in a heartbeat!

Come on Bryan let’s have a little creativity here. A residency in London & NYC please.

Salutations a tous et un tres bon unlock !

Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:25 pm 

Seems premature to toss in the towel on the entire year as of Mid-March. In the States it appears that ALL will be vaccinated by June and many concert venues have recently announced their summer/fall lineups which are robust. I wonder if the issue is less covid as it is interest level. With no new material in sight, how many will turn out to see basically the same set (with a few changes each time)? While hard core fans like us will always come out to see BF as long as he tours, I wonder if that is enough to fill concert halls at a level that covers costs? There will be tremendous supply of entertainment options competing for customers pent up demand, hopefully he can craft something new in this downtime and bring it back on the road before his touring days are over.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:44 pm 

Nearly all dates are in mainland Europe. Given growing fears of a third wave there, a vaccination programme that has barely-started and faltering vaccine supply chains, this decision doesn't seem at all premature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:54 pm 

Mes amis.

Bad news indeed. I have to admitt that I was overly optimistic about the summer. Now I feel like that the shows at RAH last March were the last on planet Earth.
Anyway, we have the cd/vinyl from that time to look forward to.

No, not much of interest in Horoscope/Alphaville. Everything turned out so much better on the later recordings. Best, in my ears, was Mother of pearl. I like the funky version better than the original. Williams was a great guitar player.

Cher W2, I´ll listen to Palmer when the pandemic really is fading away, don´t want to associate it with this plague.

Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:45 am 

I think it was the right decision

This is what the head of Germany's largest event agency says about the current situation and the possibility of concerts:

pandemic
Bremen (dpa) - The head of the event agency CTS Eventim, Klaus-Peter Schulenberg, expects that concerts in closed rooms will only be possible in Germany in winter.

"I do not see events in halls before the fourth quarter, although I would not commit myself to the beginning of October," said Schulenberg to the news magazine "Spiegel". Open-air formats in summer are likely to take place “at most very occasionally”.

Schuleberg told the magazine that the industry was in a difficult position - around half of the private arcades were endangered. A faster vaccination campaign, reliable tests and modern technology are needed, like in the United Kingdom, where there should be big events again from June. You can take what you want from British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, said Schulenberg. “But he did the vaccination management very well. That cannot be said of the EU. "

The organizer network Eventim Live, which belongs to the concert organizer with its administrative headquarters in Bremen, announced last week that seven large open-air festivals in Germany and Switzerland will be canceled this year due to the corona pandemic. These include “Rock am Ring”, “Rock im Park”, “Hurricane Festival” and “Southside”.

© dpa-infocom, dpa: 210319-99-893402 / 2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:07 pm 

I agree with UKRichard; the state of play in mainland Europe (i.e. what appears to be a third wave of the virus, coupled with an alarmingly low and slow rate of vaccination) makes touring there seem particularly unwise at present.

This week has been like an old Carry On film, with some EC nations blocking the export (e.g. to Australia) and demanding the import (from the UK) of a vaccine which they'd just (temporarily, before common sense prevailed) banned themselves from using! :lol:

Mind you, while the UK government can claim greater success with the vaccine roll-out, let's not forget how slow we were in restricting international travel and entry through our borders; we were sitting ducks for the second wave of Covid.

And, of course, the younger members of Team BF (band, crew & management) won't be offered their vaccinations until nearer the middle of the year (unless they have underlying medical conditions which might push their names up the list). And then, of course, rehearsals would be needed and they're not possible while Tom is presumably locked down in Belgium and Neil (plus Fonzi & Tawatha, if they were signed up for this tour) in the USA.

And even when we've had our vaccinations, we don't know if we'll need Covid "passports" for international travel and, if so, how these will be administered or how long the process will take. Not knowing where it's safe to go and whether we can get there makes tour planning all but impossible at the moment.

Even when live music resumes (with or without social distancing) I think artists will be restricted to gigs in their own counties for most or all of 2021. Perhaps BF might yet be persuaded to do something in the UK, but that depends in part on which band members have travel freedom (like Windswept2, I harbour hopes of some smaller, more acoustic gigs at some point; perhaps this might be the opportunity for them?).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:57 pm 

Uwe's extracts and Smudge's pretty comprehensive summary of the ongoing Covid-related logistics facing anyone in the arts, shine a light on the dilemmas facing everyone at the moment. Compounding it all too, is the additional bureaucracy and cost of permits and visas needed for each EU country British performers have the temerity to visit, post-Brexit (another triumph). I don't think the significance of this alone can be underestimated - who would want to undertake all the work involved and part with some fairly significant amounts of (doubtless non-refundable) dosh in such uncertain times? Probably a deal-breaker in its own right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:31 am 

Another problem is likely to arise next year when all the acts who had only ever planned on touring in 2022 compete for venue space with all the postponed shows from 2020 and 2021 that they are now trying to reschedule. Already we are seeing that, of Eric Clapton's planned 4 nights at the Royal Albert Hall due this May, only 2 could be rescheduled for May 2022 and the other 2 have had to be cancelled and money refunded due to "lack of available dates". Already. Let's hope that Bryan, his band and all close to him continue to keep well and eager to delight us once again.