VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Royal Albert Hall 2020 Out on Friday
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:07 pm 

Quote:
The setlist overshadows the performance itself. RAH 20 is a torture for Roxy/Ferry-trained ears.

Can't say I have any idea what this means. Maybe SF could be a bit more succinct?

I've listened to the album and it's a great reminder of the most recent tour, which was generally well received here and by those music journo types. The refreshed set list was so welcome, especially having avoided any spoilers beforehand.

Musically it's hard to fault, there are some interesting arrangements and some brilliant contributions, not least from Jorja Calmers who is really rather outstanding.

I think vocally it starts off somewhat weak but BF is in his stride once he's got the opening number under his belt. He knows his limitations and when he needs help from his backing singers, but equally he still knows too how to carry a song himself - to no finer effect on the Dylan numbers. The voice may be delicate now, but some songs are positively enhanced by the additional emotion and vulnerability that conjures up. And he can still pull it off by delivering more understated renditions elsewhere, not least Just Like You, Dance Away and Your Painted Smile.

If BF returns to the live circuit, I'd love him to be bold and go for the stripped back arrangements W2 advocates where the voice doesn't have to compete with too much and can be appreciated to the full. We all know it's different to the BF of yore but, as he proclaims here, "nothing lasts forever" - vive la difference!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:03 pm 

UKRichard wrote:

.....Musically it's hard to fault, there are some interesting arrangements and some brilliant contributions, not least from Jorja Calmers who is really rather outstanding.

......he still knows too how to carry a song himself - to no finer effect on the Dylan numbers. The voice may be delicate now, but some songs are positively enhanced by the additional emotion and vulnerability that conjures up. And he can still pull it off by delivering more understated renditions elsewhere, not least Just Like You, Dance Away and Your Painted Smile.

If BF returns to the live circuit, I'd love him to be bold and go for the stripped back arrangements W2 advocates where the voice doesn't have to compete with too much and can be appreciated to the full. We all know it's different to the BF of yore but, as he proclaims here, "nothing lasts forever" - vive la difference!

Hipsters,
Salient sentiments from a thinking Roxologist.
W2 violently agrees with every word.
A residency with a quintet (Good, Chalmers, Spedding,Wheatley & Sutton) would be hugely interesting.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:52 pm 

I'm looking forward to getting my CD of RAH 2020 but I've listened at length to the many tracks from the album that Team Bryan have put up on Youtube.

Old-timers on the VRM forum will remember a while back when there was discussion as to whether or not BF's solo band was best thought of as Roxy Lite. I won't revisit that debate, but in listening to RAH 2020 the notion of BF Soft comes to mind. The tunes go down easy and I doubt that they will prompt any neighbors to bang on the walls and implore "Turn That Down!!!"

The tempos are relaxed and well suited to a demographic that should have gotten their Covid-19 vaccine shots weeks ago. Just listen to the 2020 take on Limbo compared to the Bête Noire version. It's the kind of track that will help fill the time in a Club Purgatory (Limbo?) where the seats are plush, the drinks are always at the ready, and the conversation is filled with pleasant Bon Mots. Heaven can Wait... Maybe forever...

This isn't offered as a criticism, just an observation. BF Soft is not to be dissed, but rather discussed and perhaps deconstructed, all while biding our time in our own Club Purgatory. Bryan is 75. I hope to be as active as he is when I make it there...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:40 am 

DCJ wrote:
I'm looking forward to getting my CD of RAH 2020 but I've listened at length to the many tracks from the album that Team Bryan have put up on Youtube.

Old-timers on the VRM forum will remember a while back when there was discussion as to whether or not BF's solo band was best thought of as Roxy Lite. I won't revisit that debate, but in listening to RAH 2020 the notion of BF Soft comes to mind. The tunes go down easy and I doubt that they will prompt any neighbors to bang on the walls and implore "Turn That Down!!!"

The tempos are relaxed and well suited to a demographic that should have gotten their Covid-19 vaccine shots weeks ago. Just listen to the 2020 take on Limbo compared to the Bête Noire version. It's the kind of track that will help fill the time in a Club Purgatory (Limbo?) where the seats are plush, the drinks are always at the ready, and the conversation is filled with pleasant Bon Mots. Heaven can Wait... Maybe forever...

This isn't offered as a criticism, just an observation. BF Soft is not to be dissed, but rather discussed and perhaps deconstructed, all while biding our time in our own Club Purgatory. Bryan is 75. I hope to be as active as he is when I make it there...

Fanatical Fandangoists,
DJC makes some interesting points.
Windswept wouldn’t refer to it as ‘BF Soft’ but rather ‘BF Super Sophisticated’.
A while ago, a brave interrogator asked him if ageing impeded his performance (musically). Bryan replied with words to the effect of ‘Sure there are things you can’t do anymore but there are things you can do better and I focus on them.’
This is what he has been doing these past years and is what he does so brilliantly here.
Yes, his vocals are softer and lack the power of youth but instead of being completely overpowered by the arrangements of yesteryear, he has played with the intricacies of the music, lowered the tempo and jazzed the whole thing up. All to great effect.
W2 has, as is his want, listened to the album multiple times and finds much to enjoy.
He has never heard a better, more haunting version of ‘The Bogus Man’ and never have the jazz routes of that song been more evident. Chalmers’ playing is truly superb.
‘Pyjamarama’ is given a new sophistication. As is ‘The Same Old Scene’.
With regards to ‘Limbo’, DCJ’s comments are super interesting .
W2 has always thought this must be a difficult one to do live but , on this album, he manages it superbly and by dialling back the searing guitars - the VO style would have been too big a contrast with his vocals - the song maintains all of its sexy darkness and somehow just sounds more classy.
So no, for W2 this is not BF soft, it is BF maturing gracefully and making his music ever more interesting in a way that surely appeals to old and new fans alike.
He brilliantly avoids looking or sounding like the ageing rocker or a caricature of his former self and instead he jazzes up this Roxy dominated set and gives the songs an even greater sophistication.
Few, if any of Bryan’s peers have managed the evolution of their careers with such grace and creativity and this album is a great testimony to that.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept

Last edited by Windswept2 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:33 am 

Chers amis!

Haven´t got my copy of TRAH 2020 yet, but I just want to congratulate le gran W2 for his well written thoughts about BF;s excellent band. Merci beaucoup, that was a good start to the day!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:51 pm 

Oberon wrote:
Chers amis!

Haven´t got my copy of TRAH 2020 yet, but I just want to congratulate le gran W2 for his well written thoughts about BF;s excellent band. Merci beaucoup, that was a good start to the day!

Cher Oberon,
Merci Beaucoup!
W2 awaits your thoughts - bonne ecoute !
Windswept.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:00 pm 

Given the purpose of the new release this is great news from team Ferry!

"In addition, all proceeds from this release will be shared between Bryan Ferry’s band and crew members in an effort to support them until they can perform live again.

With great excitement, we've learned that the album is currently sitting at No. 5 in the UK album charts - which is a testament to your generosity in helping the band and crew with significant pre-order sales! Charting in the Top 10 would certainly bring more attention to the purpose of the release - to support BF's band and crew during this time when the creative industries are globally on-hold - so if you have been considering it and haven't yet purchased a copy, we'd encourage you to do so before Friday this week.

Thank you again to everyone for your early support, from Bryan and the touring band and crew!"

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:33 pm 

Quote:
With great excitement, we've learned that the album is currently sitting at No. 5 in the UK album charts

This is, indeed, great news. For some reason I thought the album might be ineligible for chart status as I mistakenly thought it was a 'BF store only' release. Didn't even re-think it when I saw it on ITunes.
Lets see where it ends up on Friday. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:15 pm 

My copy arrived today and I’ve been able to play it twice.
My first thought is that the tracks I thought would not come off very well in this presentation - The Thrill of it All , Out of the Blue , and The Bogus Man , actually shine, due to Ferry’s refined vocal and the players’ superb musicianship and the arrangements. Ok, they’re not Roxy Music, but they are Roxy-esque. I find it strange but oddly fitting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:47 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
My first thought is that the tracks I thought would not come off very well in this presentation - The Thrill of it All , Out of the Blue , and The Bogus Man , actually shine, due to Ferry’s refined vocal and the players’ superb musicianship and the arrangements........

Mes Amis,

avalon_eyes is correct. They do shine !

Windswept has always thought that our hero’s constant ‘Re-Making/Re-Modelling’ of his own work is a testimony to his creativity as an artist and one of the keys to his longevity.

There isn’t a duff track on this near perfect set list and careful listening is rewarded. W2 is constantly picking up on changes and evolutions to arrangements that make these songs sound so fresh and forever young.

This is time well spent as many of the new incarnations are, to W2’s ears, superior to the VOs.

Much better this approach than futile attempts at new material.

If new stuff comes, it should come naturally, as was the case with ‘Reason Or Rhyme’ , a song that is up there with his best.

Meanwhile, this is an absolute must for any thinking Ferryista’s collection.

Salutations,

W2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next