VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Royal Albert Hall 2020 Out on Friday
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:35 pm 
Site Owner

Things are quiet here but I am sure Friday's release of BFs 2020 Royal Albert Hall show will give us something new to chat about.

J.O'B.

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/albums_125.php

Post subject: Re: Royal Albert Hall 2020 Out on Friday
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:08 pm 

The track Hiroshima... is called just that.
On the album artwork it’s listed as Hiroshima Mon Amour . Is that me?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 pm 

Mes Amis,

Comme d’habitude, Windswept is indecently excited and Avalon_eyes, don’t worry it is ‘Horishima’. At least that’s what they played at TRAH.

Salutations et bon lancement.

W2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:13 pm 

Yes , but is it sloppy , or am I just being pedantic?

I await the live album too , in great anticipation , having ordered it on Sunday , following a veritable solo listening party of In Your Mind , Boys and Girls , Bete Noire , Taxi and Mamouna.
The Bride had to wait for another day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:06 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
Yes , but is it sloppy , or am I just being pedantic?

I await the live album too , in great anticipation , having ordered it on Sunday , following a veritable solo listening party of In Your Mind , Boys and Girls , Bete Noire , Taxi and Mamouna.
The Bride had to wait for another day.

Cher avalon_eyes,

Your listening time is well spent.

Windswept lui-meme has been ensconced in ‘The Jazz Age’, ‘ATGB’ and ‘Bittersweet ‘. That said, your mention of ‘Taxi’ has him rushing for his stylus.

And no, I don’t think you are being pedantic. It would be interesting to know if ‘Horishima Mon Amour’ was the original title that was shortened for ‘Frantic’ or perhaps The Bonny Lad has been over influenced by Windswept’s French ramblings ?

Certainly with the cancelling of this year’s Fandangos, the new album from last year’s RAH show takes on a new resonance. W2 went with Windswept Jnr and did comment, probably for the first time, that this could be the last time. The virus had arrived and there had been doubt that the evening would go ahead.

Hopefully this isn’t the case but if it turned out to be , how fitting it is commemorated by a live album. It would bookend his solo career. RAH ‘74 - RAH ‘20.

Time will tell but after all the fabulous music who could begrudge our hero taking a sunset role as the ‘Eminence Gris’ of modern art ?

Salutations,

W2

Last edited by Windswept2 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:40 am 

Quote:
Hopefully this isn’t the case but if it turned out to be , how fitting it is commemorated by a live album. It would bookend his solo career. RAH ‘74 - RAH ‘20.

I too hope it isn't the case but having retired myself, I very much hope our hero gets to relax a little more. At 75 years of age it's already somewhat overdue.

Touring is rigorous and demanding at the best of times and it seems covid will do little to ameliorate this for some considerable time to come, possibly hastening a farewell to the road? Who knows, apart from the man himself?

Whilst there's little or no money to be made from it, perhaps he can continue to indulge the creative juices - that are undoubtedly far harder to switch off - from within the Studio One bunker?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:35 pm 

My bundle arrived today, really well packaged as always with TMStores. Haven't given it a play yet but the sleeve has a great feel to it. Photography and notes are on the basic side (perhaps understandable given the nature of the release) but it looks and feels quite luxurious. The card is quite heavyweight - especially so for the vinyl - and the matt finish is perfect. Quite beautiful in an understated kind of way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:08 pm 

Oh my...The setlist overshadows the performance itself. RAH 20 is a torture for Roxy/Ferry-trained ears. Such a pity...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:41 am 

My CD arrived yesterday and is a good document of my Wednesday night visit. It doesn’t say which night the recordings are from (and somebody must know). Although it is very Roxy orientated the two Dylan covers stand out performance wise, as they did on the night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:27 am 

Hedonistic Hipsters, Ferocious Ferryistas & Lockdown Lotherios,

Windswept’s LP arrived yesterday and it is clearly a different edition to that of the ‘Sentimental Fool’.

The one sent to Windswept is a perfect sovereign of a night in March 2020 when we all still had our liberty and were fandangoing on all cylinders.

It was a great set list. The band were en pleine forme and it’s just nice to sit back and relive the moment.

That said, sans the visual frisson - with the exception of those you conjure up in your mind’s eye - you do notice things :

You notice the excellent intricate musicianship and the clever interweaving of the vocals.

You notice the slight twist in arrangements that are sometimes done to add something a little fresh or doubtless occasionally done to maximise the strengths of the band.

You also notice our Ferry’s bravery at taking on the two Dylan interpretations solo a delivering them perfectly in front of a packed RAH. Those particular renditions make Windswept dream of a stripped back residency staring our hero. Quelque chose comme Bobby Short at NYC’s Carlyle Hotel.

Of course, the new album is not designed to be ‘New or different’ but rather just a great memento of a fabulous evening and something nice to do for the band to hopefully help see them through these difficult times.

Salutations a tous,

W2

Last edited by Windswept2 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.