VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Listening to BF/ RM on Spotify
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:25 pm 

Just wondering how many fellow forum members use Spotify to listen to BF/ RM these days? My old fashioned ways have prevented me from progressing from iPod to Spotify until recently. I’ve found there are pros and cons but it’s been interesting in the following ways:

Ranking of most popular tracks: Not sure if this is just my own countries charts but to my surprise Slave to Love is by far the most played BF song on Spotify with over 83 million plays (wondering how much he actually earns from that?). Lets Stick Together is a distant second with only 25 million hits and Don’t Stop the Dance third with 18 million. Then it tails off again to As Time Goes By with 9 million and Kiss & Tell just over 1.5 million. Roxy’s most popular track by quite a distance is More Than This with just under 90 million hits followed by Avalon with almost 50 million, Love is the Drug is a close third, Jealous Guy some way back in fourth and then Oh Yeah with over 11 million hits.

Rare tracks not included: most of the rarer Roxy stuff is on Spotify thanks to the inclusion of the Thrill of it All boxset but a lot of non-album BF tracks are missing unless they have appeared on a compilation or soundtrack. This is a real pity as I think a lot of BF’s rarer stuff is really worth catching. Amongst the tracks that I love that aren’t on Spotify are Feel the Need, Dance with Life, Nocturne, If I Didn’t Care, As the World Turns, I Don’t Want to Go On Without You, Help Me, I’ll See You Again, This Love, and Don’t Be Cruel. Other lesser favourites that don’t appear are Broken Wings, Smoke Dreams, I Forgot More Than You’ll Ever Know, Four Letter Love, Whatever Gets You Through the Night, One Night, and Valentine. I’m still having to return to my iPod to listen to all of these

Artwork: Most of the album artwork is included on Spotify of course but I’ve always loved having control of selecting my own artwork on my iPod, particularly for obscurities. For example, I’ll sometimes select the artwork from the songs single or an overseas variation of the album artwork if I think either are nicer than the usual artwork.

Interested to hear the thoughts of fellow Spotify users anyway.

Post subject: Re: Listening to BF/ RM on Spotify
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:48 pm 
Site Owner

I am sure streaming has its place but I personally hate the idea of it.

You listed off the most popular played Ferry & Roxy tracks and it's no surprise that it's the hits. You will see that this is the same for most big names on Spotify.

Spotify in my mind creates a music listening culture of cherry pickers where people are only interested in hits and never take time to play full albums. The world has gone for convenience over quality and are happy enough to listen to music out of a 10 bob speaker on their phone than to hear the music the way it was meant to be heard on a decent sound system.

As for revenue...... it is a rip off to the musicians involved especially the lesser known.

I released a CD single in December, and it is also on Spotify. Once I reach 20,000 streams on spotify I will earn £8, enough to buy a new set of guitar strings.

The only digitised music I have is from my own personal CD collection that I have digitised and copied on to a memory stick to play in my car as modern cars don't have CD players any more.

J.O'B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:31 pm 

Well said John : I agree with every word and yes musicians are ripped off . I'm old- fashioned and stick to vinyl and CDs.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:32 pm 

I don't disagree with these general criticisms of Spotify and they're all part of the pros & cons mentioned in my original post. However, I'm also trying to get with the times and am not going to cut my nose off to spite my face forever. And I certainly don't feel guilty with regards to BF/ RM whose music I've spent a fortune on over the years. But as already mentioned, this is not the sole reason why I'm not a big Spotify fan.

On the other hand it is undoubtedly a very convenient service and perhaps the most interesting element is that it gives us the best modern barometer of the most popular songs in the canon (if not the ones that have best stood the test of time). I'd certainly never have expected Slave to Love to be twice as popular as the second most popular BF song for instance and I'm surprised that certain songs aren't more popular, such as Dance Away and Same Old Scene.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:37 pm 

Any thoughts on why BF has not yet added his name to the campaign for fairer distribution of royalties from music streaming services? Defo one of the higher profile absentees.