VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BF Lyrics Book
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:47 am 

Browsing Amazon, I noticed not one, not two, but three 2022 calendars for sale. The underlying information is almost identical and is written in dodgy English. Clearly unofficial, so not sure about the quality.

Far more interestingly, is the prospect of a Lyrics book in May 2022. Amongst the Amazon blurb it says:
"Lyrics collects the words written for music across seventeen albums, from the first iconic Roxy album of 1972 via the masterpiece of Avalon to 2014's Avonmore, introduced by the author, with an insightful essay by James Truman."

Whether BF is the 'author' seems rather ambiguous - one to watch...

Post subject: Re: BF Lyrics Book
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:43 pm 

James Truman was involved in an interesting 'booklet' around the time of Boys and Girls - it was an interesting and insightful publication - the cover was silvery in colour if my memory serves me right - I had one then .. but now it's lost .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:51 pm 
Site Owner

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyrics-Bryan-F ... t=WALL_ART

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:04 am 

However ....I was listening to Paul McCartney talking us through his lyrics on Radio Four and came to the conclusion that lyrics only fully create their magic when sung and in the context of the music ....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:03 pm 

On another forum [ Twitter ] , I saw a copy of Stranded with a lyric sheet included. Rather than a lyrics book, I feel an autobiography would be more welcome in these hallowed grounds.I’d dearly love to know how he got Stranded and These Foolish Things out in short order after For Your Pleasure. For the song writing and musical creativity.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:56 am 

Signed copies available to preorder:

https://www.hatchards.co.uk/book/lyrics/bryan-ferry/2928377082376

https://www.waterstones.com/book/lyrics/bryan-ferry/2928377082376

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:47 am 

avalon_eyes wrote:
On another forum [ Twitter ] , I saw a copy of Stranded with a lyric sheet included. Rather than a lyrics book, I feel an autobiography would be more welcome in these hallowed grounds.I’d dearly love to know how he got Stranded and These Foolish Things out in short order after For Your Pleasure. For the song writing and musical creativity.

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
avalon_eyes is completely correct.
Only a full autobiography will slake our thirsts at this stage of the game.
W2 can’t think of another artist of Ferry’s stature whose life and creative achievements remain so uncelebrated and undocumented.
With the exception of Simon Puxley’s early career effort we have had little other than informed and not so informed words from outsiders.
Windswept fully understands our hero’s reluctance or indeed refusal to participate in ‘Kiss & Tell’
That said, although a failure to throw publishers red meat may effect the size of the advance, it shouldn’t prohibit publication.
The creative story is just so strong both musically and stylistically, it just stands on its own.
Why he hasn’t got to it puzzles W2.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:01 pm 

Peanut wrote:

Doesn't seem available now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:40 pm 

pmctbc wrote:
Doesn't seem available now.

To be fair, the book was made available for preorder nine days ago, and I posted my heads up within about an hour of the news breaking, so the opportunity has been there for over a week. It was still available this morning, before and shortly after the Bryan Ferry mailing list finally decided to inform their subscribers. Rather predictably, Waterstones are now sold out.

All I can suggest is to keep trying independent book stores, online and otherwise. I’m a keen collector of signed books, and it’s rare that they never come back into stock somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:24 pm 

Actually the Waterstones and Hatchards offers came and went in just over 24 hours. The former reappeared today, but publicity by BF's official mailing list and by Super Deluxe Edition meant that stocks sold out quickly.

Both bookstores' websites now advertising the signed version as unlikely to return to stock.