VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where Is Our Hero ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:00 am 
Site Owner

Windswept2 wrote:
Cher J.O’B,
W2 doesn’t think we have ever experienced such a long period of radio silence.
The ‘Horoscope’ saga was a very long time ago and things have changed in the digital age.
Windswet.

I totally agree that we are in a new era of the digital age that can very much work for you. It can also work very much against you and having Facebook etc and other social media perpetuating half truths and turning them into something they are not then shooting people down for it is not turning out to be happening is not a good world to state what you might or might not do. The Horoscope situation would have been even worse if social media was what it is now when it was being talked about as a work in progress almost 25 years ago.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:31 am 

Dear W2,

The reference to BF jumping onto the tour bus was, indeed, a bit of a joke, but I did remember something on this topic in the dim and distant……….

Google to the rescue and cue the Guardian on Saturday 1 April 2000………As Time Goes By…………..

“There are three tour buses, and Ferry, I’m told prefers to travel on the bus with the all-female string quartet (along with his wardrobe master and the sound director, Ferry’s old friend and Avalon producer, Rhett Davies). It’s the no-smoking bus. All very civilised.”

I guess Bryan’s proclivity for bus travel may have waned in the intervening 21 years, however…………although if he rolled out another string quartet if may be more of a laugh than the limo?

I know I keep going on about Rod Stewart, of whom I’m not a particular fan, but I’m struck by the difference between his approach to all this publicity stuff and that of our hero. There’s a little clip on social media of Rod and some of his family washing up after a boozy Sunday lunch and it’s fun to imagine an equivalent BF version!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:13 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
maybe The Bonny Lad will stop performing live ?

Well, that would be the wisest decision he could make.

Regarding the transport issue: in Europe mr. Ferry often travelled by train...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:16 am 

VivaVoce wrote:

Dear W2,

“There are three tour buses, and Ferry, I’m told prefers to travel on the bus with the all-female string quartet (along with his wardrobe master and the sound director, Ferry’s old friend and Avalon producer, Rhett Davies). It’s the no-smoking bus. All very civilised.”

I guess Bryan’s proclivity for bus travel may have waned in the intervening 21 years, however…………although if he rolled out another string quartet if may be more of a laugh than the limo?

Cher VivaVoce,
W2 remembers this magnificent quartet in his dreams and can completely understand our hero’s desire to board said bus - even if he had to be chaperoned by Rhett Davies !
Salutations and keep these pearls of wisdom coming.
Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:05 pm 

Time keeps on slippin', slippin' into the future...

BF wants to keep close control over his public image and these days that seems to equate to sequestering any info about anything he's doing. OK. That's his prerogative. Keep a low profile and avoid problems with being misrepresented by a pesky media and an unruly fan base.

But at this point BF is poised on the brink of cultural irrelevance by a growing population of people who think that the 1990s was a time when dinosaurs trod the earth...

Sad to say, but with all the variants of Covid that keep threatening us on a seemingly weekly basis, we'll be lucky if BF can sked a tour in 2022. Sigh...

Time keeps on slippin'

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:56 am 

You would have thought that, in the absence of any live work, some time may have been spent in curating the Roxy back catalogue. A deluxe FYP was of course hinted at many years ago, but perhaps ongoing discussions about the quality of the paper in the accompanying coffee table book may mean the project has stalled?? The determination to create new music is admirable but it seems an ever more tortuous process. There surely is much in the vaults to be released and which would delight the faithful in the meantime. If not now, then when?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:16 pm 

Quote:
...some time may have been spent in curating the Roxy back catalogue. A deluxe FYP was of course hinted at many years ago...There surely is much in the vaults to be released and which would delight the faithful in the meantime.

A 'Roxy at 50' deluxe and delightful FYP would indeed keep the faithful happy. As part of the same commemorations, a 40th anniversary edition of Avalon would probably be more widely appreciated and help bankroll the arguably more 'niche' FYP provided, of course, it was prohibitively expensive for the more 'casual' fan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:10 am 

I wouldn't be surprised if the album we all expected is a rework of the Bete Noire album ... there is a hidden signal ... besides, Bryan has, as he admitted to his band members from Roxy at the time, Problems with new lyrics

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:06 pm 

Uwe wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the album we all expected is a rework of the Bete Noire album ... there is a hidden signal ... besides, Bryan has, as he admitted to his band members from Roxy at the time, Problems with new lyrics

A stripped down Bȇte Noire album as the only result of almost 2 years of Covid? I love the album as it is. FYP Deluxe is my favourite. But a new rock album following up Avonmore would be a very fine alternative, too. Maybe he discovers some long forgotten lyrics in the basement of Studio One ;).

BTW: Our hero's colleagues are very productive these days: Rod Stewart, Sting, Deep Purple, Willie Nelson (at 88)! It's sad, but personally I'd understand if Bryan thinks about becoming an artist in retirement ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:49 am 

pianoman wrote:
Uwe wrote:

A stripped down Bȇte Noire album as the only result of almost 2 years of Covid? I love the album as it is. FYP Deluxe is my favourite. But a new rock album following up Avonmore would be a very fine alternative, too. Maybe he discovers some long forgotten lyrics in the basement of Studio One ;).

BTW: Our hero's colleagues are very productive these days: Rod Stewart, Sting, Deep Purple, Willie Nelson (at 88)! It's sad, but personally I'd understand if Bryan thinks about becoming an artist in retirement ...

Hipsters,
W2 has long opined that a re-made, re-modelled ‘Bete Noire’ would be most welcome.
What’s more our hero’s eclectic approach to constantly surprising with something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, has kept his creative output qualitatively at the forefront of modern music.
Of course, there are other mature artists doing great stuff : Dylan, Scaggs & LaVette to name but three. Whilst others have morphed into caricatures of their former selves: ‘Rod The Mod’ and Phil Collins and Elton John to name but three.
Salutations,
W2

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next