VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Where Is Our Hero ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:10 am 

Hipsters,

W2 is becoming a little concerned by our hero’s prolonged absence.

Does anyone know how he is ?

Windswept only seeks reassurance that he is well and happy.

If has decided to hang up the mic obviously we will all be disappointed but would fully understand.

He’s given us so much pleasure over the years but non of us are eternal and W2 just hopes he is fit, happy and enjoying life.

Salutations,

Windswept

Post subject: Re: Where Is Our Hero ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:22 pm 

There have been one or two social media posts over the past few months from musicians who were apparently working with him, so hopefully all is well at Studio One. :)

Apart from any shielding that BF himself has deemed necessary, touring or full rehearsals would have been impossible for quite some time, if he wanted to retain the same band, i.e. Tom would have been locked down in Belgium and Neil, Fonzi & Tawatha in the USA. Hopefully there will be something next year...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:54 am 

Cher Windswept

Listen to this interview about the (excellent) Manzanera Finn collaboration.

Listen from about 15:00. Phil says that Bryan lives near him and he has worked on 12 of his (Bryan's) tracks and that Roxy should do something for the 50th.

Methinks our hero has been far from idle.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... h-tim-finn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:28 pm 

Manifesto wrote:
Cher Windswept

Listen to this interview about the (excellent) Manzanera Finn collaboration.

Listen from about 15:00. Phil says that Bryan lives near him and he has worked on 12 of his (Bryan's) tracks and that Roxy should do something for the 50th.

Methinks our hero has been far from idle.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... h-tim-finn

Cher Manifesto,

Bravo - just what W2 wanted to hear.

You’ve made a young Ferryista very happy - hopefully our hero has a new album in the hopper - W2 is indecently excited!

Salutations a tous,

Windswept.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:03 pm 

Thanks for the link Manifesto. Based on those brief comments there does seem to be some genuine warmth around the 50th anniversary. It would've been far easier to simply close down the question with a 'we're done with that' response. Time will tell what they have in mind. Ploughing their own furrows for a decade seems to have thawed the frostiness of 2011 which can only be welcome.

The interview also corroborates what Smudge (and others before) have said about Studio One activity. I wonder how many of those 12 tracks will see the light of day and how many others might be in development without a contribution from Phil? Maybe lockdown has helped BF rediscover his creative and recording mojo after a 7 year hiatus (conveniently overlooking the live albums and Bitter-Sweet).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:33 am 

Yeah ... good and great news !

Thank you Manifesto.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:21 am 

why do other musicians give interviews all the time when they talk about bryan ferry and his new current work?
Wouldn't he have to classify that as his own task, or is it a tactic?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:45 am 

I entirely agree. You would expect Monsieur Ferry to be quite careful about who is to say what to whom, where, and when, so it’s quite surprising to have these apparently throw away comments from (the revered) Phil et al. Unless, as you hint, BF says they can chuck a few references around to whet our appetites?

Interested to know what weight the cognoscenti attach to Manzo’s remarks about the 50th anniversary. Never sure whether he’s just trying to goad BF into doing something, or whether something’s really being discussed.

Oh my goodness, I wish I could find a more forthcoming band to occupy my thoughts!

All good wishes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:07 am 

It's clear BF has always been pretty controlling (to put it mildly), but it's a bit of a leap to suppose that something happening in Studio One, involving countless musicians/technicians, can be kept under wraps in an age of so much reporting and social media.
Still further, whether it need be at all? Whatever's forthcoming will be extremely welcome but it's not going to be something that sets the musical business alight, is it? Those days are long gone, not only for BF but many (much more 'contemporary') artists.
This isn't an official secret or something that anyone in their right mind should ever consider to be the subject of a NDA. It's just BF doing his job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:15 pm 

Thank you Manifesto for the interview link. I wish we would see another Ferry album, with Manzanera, Mackay, Eno or whoever could contribute to this :D .

I don't know if it's realistic but let's wait and hope. Our hero is 76 now and he is not obliged to produce another album just because his fans want him to do so :? .

For Your Pleasure Deluxe is expected until 2023 (50 years!). It would be a big surprise and very welcome in my/our house 8-) !

Let us all hope that we stay healthy and "the virus" will stop some day! - Peter - :P .