VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where Is Our Hero ?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:46 pm 

Quote:
Our hero is 76 now
....I know we're all acutely aware of our hero's age but it's a very salient point as far as a new release is concerned. The omens look good for a new album but what form will it take? New compositions, covers, a mixture of both? More interestingly, what might BF be wanting to say on this record, after 76 eventful years? More thoughtful reflections a la 'Reason Or Rhyme' and 'Tender Is The Night'? A recording swansong perhaps? It's a fascinating and tantalising prospect for sure. Who knows, maybe one of BF's most intimate works. Let's hope the wait is not too long.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:14 pm 

I understand why celebrities want to keep control/info over their private lives private, because not everybody is a friendly fan...

That said, it is rather baffling why BF has long been so reticent to communicate with fans about what he's up to creatively. A few blog posts now and again about what's going on in Studio One would help keep his loyal fan base engaged, and what would be the harm? Sigh.

If the big news for the 50th Anniversary of RM is a deluxe version of For Your Pleasure then it better be REALLY deluxe with plenty of live tracks from 73-74 and distinctive outtakes. Otherwise, YAAAWNNN...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:06 pm 

Other than after the Avalon tour and when the Roxy sessions failed to produce anything after the 2001 tour, Phil has always been positive about BF and Roxy. In the 90s he spoke about playing with Bryan again which he did at the millennium gig and of course then came the Roxy reunion.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:32 pm 

To DCJ’s comment about being baffled at the lack of any communication from BF, that is what prompted my (on reflection) rather crass, gauche and unfunny “message from Bryan” post. As a mere mortal I just can’t understand why there would be absolute radio silence for so long.

It’s almost that there’s such a heightened sense of style and suavity that to toss a casual greeting or update to the cognoscenti would be infra dig, or let unwelcome light in upon magic.

Although, of course, I sort of love BF, for everything he’s given me, there is also a comic strip running in my brain featuring a very beautiful, elegant and sophisticated vampire who slumbers in a rather plush casket until there is a product to promote, whereupon it creaks open and the occupant shuffles stylishly into the spotlight once again. Of course, I absolutely acknowledge his right to select that approach.

Having said that, isn’t there something truly depressing about the undead official sites, knocked up to promote an album some years ago, only to be left hanging in purgatory until there’s something else to sell?

Finally, and quite irrelevant to this post, has anyone heard Rod Stewart’s “Born to Boogie” track, a tribute to Marc Bolan? A bit throwaway, but quite sweet. The chorus is T.Rex singles titles. I don’t suppose he would do one for a living artist but it had me wondering about Rod penning “Doing the Strand”, as a tribute to BF. A chorus of “ Dance Away, Angel Eyes, Trash and Street Life………”.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:09 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
Quote:
Our hero is 76 now
....I know we're all acutely aware of our hero's age but it's a very salient point as far as a new release is concerned. The omens look good for a new album but what form will it take? New compositions, covers, a mixture of both? More interestingly, what might BF be wanting to say on this record, after 76 eventful years? More thoughtful reflections a la 'Reason Or Rhyme' and 'Tender Is The Night'? A recording swansong perhaps? It's a fascinating and tantalising prospect for sure. Who knows, maybe one of BF's most intimate works. Let's hope the wait is not too long.

Frantic Ferryistas,
Windswept yearns for more thoughtful reflections a la ‘Reason Or Rhyme’ or ‘Tender Is The Night’. These two tracks are head and shoulders above anything else on the last two albums and that’s saying something given the overall standard.
Hurry along Bonny Lad.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:18 am 

VivaVoce wrote:

It’s almost that there’s such a heightened sense of style and suavity that to toss a casual greeting or update to the cognoscenti would be infra dig, or let unwelcome light in upon magic.

Although, of course, I sort of love BF, for everything he’s given me, there is also a comic strip running in my brain featuring a very beautiful, elegant and sophisticated vampire who slumbers in a rather plush casket until there is a product to promote, whereupon it creaks open and the occupant shuffles stylishly into the spotlight once again. Of course, I absolutely acknowledge his right to select that approach.

Having said that, isn’t there something truly depressing about the undead official sites, knocked up to promote an album some years ago, only to be left hanging in purgatory until there’s something else to sell?

Hipsters,
W2 just loves VivaVoce’s description of our hero’s approach to the creative process.
Perhaps his next concert venue should be Whitby Abbey to celebrate this visual association with ‘The Count’.
Brilliant stuff.
Of course, ‘The Bonny Lad’ will find the pressure thrust upon him to constantly communicate in the digital world, both exhausting and distasteful.
Doubtless he misses the good Doctor Puxley who would have managed all of this with consummate skill.
Perhaps a more punctual animation of his official site would suffice to quench our collective thirst ?
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 pm 

I am fairly sure the 2020 tour will re-new in 2022 ~ a commitment to the fans, legal obligations and so forth. Watch this space.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:12 pm 

Dear W2,

Many thanks for that………….do you think the taxi drivers of Petworth, if conveying an attractive personage from the station to visit the maestro, stop at the end of the winding drive and say (in a voice as chilly as “Dreamhome”) “I go no further than this young miss……..”?

[Trying to avoid ageist, sexist, Ferryist, vampirist cracks in that one and stay woke…….but don’t wake the master……….]

Yes the funny thing is that BF has spoken so often and so eloquently about his early days studying the sleeve notes for the details of the players on an album, the studios used, the producers etc etc, so he knows that the fans hunger and thirst for information, yet we are bereft. There must be some sort of team, who could toss us a morsel every few months?

Perhaps one of the problems is that everything must remain fluid for as long as possible, so team Ferry won’t say he’s doing an album until it’s been delivered, he’s doing a tour until he’s on the bus?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:00 pm 
Site Owner

VivaVoce wrote:

Perhaps one of the problems is that everything must remain fluid for as long as possible, so team Ferry won’t say he’s doing an album until it’s been delivered, he’s doing a tour until he’s on the bus?

I think this has been the case for a long time. Bryan had said that he revealed too much about what was called "Horoscope" at one time and that became a problem eventually.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:31 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
VivaVoce wrote:

I think this has been the case for a long time. Bryan had said that he revealed too much about what was called "Horoscope" at one time and that became a problem eventually.

J.O'B.

Cher J.O’B,
W2 doesn’t think we have ever experienced such a long period of radio silence.
The ‘Horoscope’ saga was a very long time ago and things have changed in the digital age. Details don’t have to be revealed in simple communications. A few warm words for the fans costs nothing and enhances the value of your brand enormously.
Furthermore, what’s the point in having your own site if you aren’t going to animate it ?
Every major artist, except our hero, has now broken cover post covid and some are out touring - maybe The Bonny Lad will stop performing live ?
On a lighter note, VivaVoce’s assertion that our man maybe getting on a bus was an absolute side splitter. Ferry on a bus ? We are more likely to see Jeremy Corbyn driving a Bentley.
Salutations a tous,
Windswet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next