VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New music from Bryan Ferrry
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:51 pm 

Sentimental Fool wrote:
The phrase 'All Ferry is good Ferry' is a ridiculous one. Unfortunately, it ain't the case and Love Letters is another proof of it.

Most fans seem to love Bryan’s work but I suppose this is what fans do.
Personally I think the expression ‘All Ferry is good Ferry’ is a good one particularly when it’s followed by a caveat.
For me, ‘Love Letters’ is a perfect track but illustrates a point that my dad often makes about Ferry’s interpretations and that is sometimes they are too sophisticated for their own good.
Listening to this for the first time it would be easy to dismiss it as a simple straightforward exercise in covering a classic.
Repeated listens expose it to be a brilliantly soulful and mournful interpretation that is underpinned by some beautiful guitar straight out of the less is more school.
There is much to enjoy and I can’t wait to hear the rest of the tracks.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:50 pm 

Why the delay in the release of the 2 final tracks. ?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:48 am 
Site Owner

Amazon are saying 19th of May

J.O'B

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:43 pm 

iTunes are saying 21 May.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 2:16 pm 

Apple iTunes Germany says nothing about the release date. BTW, it's 19-05-2022 (Amazon forecast) and the remaining two songs are not available. What a pity: Only four songs, (digitally) released on different days, postponed several times. I'm longing for the good old days when an LP record or a CD was released - I went into the store, bought it and played it. Sigh ... :?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:35 pm 

The whole EP is available on Amazon now. The final two tracks are beautiful. Well worth the wait.
I agree I would love the EP as a physical product.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:47 pm 

Manifesto wrote:
The whole EP is available on Amazon now. The final two tracks are beautiful. Well worth the wait.
I agree I would love the EP as a physical product.

Available on iTunes, too. Just downloaded it - thank you, Manifesto.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:41 am 

Agree with other comments about a physical release for this EP - I'd hazard a guess those consuming BF's music in 2022 aren't exactly 'generation download', so this is so at odds with what's gone before. But I suppose it's the way of things now and, after all, the debut Roxy album wasn't released on a series of 78s or cylinders (any younger readers: ask your great grandparents!)!

Notwithstanding the manner of release, it's good to have new music from BF and let's continue in our belief it's a precursor to a more conventional album (if, that is, you can classify anything he does as 'conventional').

I'm so in agreement with MeOhMy in his assessment of 'Love Letters' - on first hearing this I liked the melancholy and simplicity of it but felt it was quite a standard interpretation by BF's standards, but with each subsequent listen I find myself utterly absorbed in that truly sumptuous - yet still simple - arrangement and production. It's everything we've come to expect when it comes to BF's take on classic love songs.

And so it is with IJDKWTDWM. The much discussed voice has such a delicious and delicate vibrato - it's just utterly perfect in conveying the sheer heartbreak in these lyrics. Period.

I'm enjoying acquainting myself with the final pair of songs - FAAFIL has a sublime groove and the lyrics are something of a juxtaposition alongside the preceding tracks. There's some occasional great, yet understated change of pitch in BF's voice that puts me in mind of when this was a much bigger part of his delivery and some of his phrasing is as ear-catching as ever - indeed his lifetime of recording injects so much ease and elegance into it now. Nowhere is that more evident than on TVTOY - though how much more magnificent this might have been had it been recorded back in 1999!

EP rather understates this release - it's a thoughtful and welcome 'mini album' to add to the canon.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 12:54 pm 

Very good post, UK Richard!

Nowhere is that more evident than on TVTOY - though how much more magnificent this might have been had it been recorded back in 1999!

Really a song that could have been a part of the ATGB album. With real trumpets instead of synthetic ones ;)

So I'm going to make myself a LL CD record with a printed cover just to pretend we are still living in the era of physical recording mediums 8-).

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 8:30 pm 

pianoman and UK Richard really sum up this great release so well. The addition of Enrico Tomasso on trumpet to TVTOY would have been sublime!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next