VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New music from Bryan Ferrry
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:32 am 

LL is OK I guess, but the mix is so clean it sounds rather antiseptic. It could use some grit/distortion IMHO but whatever...

His voice doesn't sound much different than it did a few years back so that's good. But I just can't get too excited about its "mature" sound. I fear he smoked too much in his younger days and his throat ultimately lost its resiliency. Sigh.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:39 pm 

I'm enjoying the new track.I particularly like the accompanying video on YouTube.It starts with 'Bryan Ferry in' and then parts of lines in the song are bought up as titles to movies.There is a very 'film noir' feel to it and the use of an American highway (Route 66?) during the instrumental is very, very clever.
The arrangement has a 'Taxi' style feel to it.I wonder if a similar microphone to that used in the 'As Time Goes By' recording was used..you can hear a lot of inflections in the voice.
I'm looking forward to the rest of the EP. And then thetracks that Marr and Manzanera(!) have worked on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:14 am 

Phil Manzanera and Johnny Marr. Both excellent, but very different guitar players, both very creative and both have written some excellent music. So IMHO a very wise move by BF to go back to working with them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:27 pm 

Manifesto wrote:
I'm enjoying the new track.I particularly like the accompanying video on YouTube.It starts with 'Bryan Ferry in' and then parts of lines in the song are bought up as titles to movies.There is a very 'film noir' feel to it and the use of an American highway (Route 66?) during the instrumental is very, very clever.
The arrangement has a 'Taxi' style feel to it.I wonder if a similar microphone to that used in the 'As Time Goes By' recording was used..you can hear a lot of inflections in the voice.
I'm looking forward to the rest of the EP. And then thetracks that Marr and Manzanera(!) have worked on.

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
W2 loves Manifesto’s appreciation. It sums up exactly Windswept’s own feelings.
In fact, he was listening to it on Spotify when it was followed by ‘Taxi’ in an absolutely seamless fashion. Absolutely the same vibe. Marvellous stuff.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:15 pm 

Love letters leaves me tepid.

I agree with True2Life's initial post on this stream.

This version sounds exactly like me doing a karaoke impression of Bryan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:30 pm 

I know Windswept always says " all Ferry is good Ferry " and whilst I am thrilled that Bryan has released something new, I agree with rendevous : it is rather tepid and insipid. Bryan's voice surprised us in a good way at the concerts in 2020, but here it sounds very faint. As DCJ said on another thread I do hope the sound quality will be exceptional at the O2 and the other big stadiums otherwise our hero will be barely audible ... and yes I do obviously realise that the years have rolled by. Having said that, my late mother was a professionally trained singer and she still had a very strong soprano voice at 86 as does the marvelous Shirley Bassey who belted out Diamonds Are Forever at the BAFTAs. Good luck with the tickets tomorrow everyone !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:30 pm 

prairie rose wrote:
I know Windswept always says " all Ferry is good Ferry " and whilst I am thrilled that Bryan has released something new, I agree with rendevous : it is rather tepid and insipid. Bryan's voice surprised us in a good way at the concerts in 2020, but here it sounds very faint. As DCJ said on another thread I do hope the sound quality will be exceptional at the O2 and the other big stadiums otherwise our hero will be barely audible ...

Cher prairie rose,
In W2’s defence, when he uses the expression “All Ferry is good Ferry”, he does add the caveat “Except ‘Is Your Love Strong Enough’”.
That said, he does understand your reservations and those of the normally tasteful Rendezvous, regarding ‘Love Letters’.
He had a similar reaction on the first couple of listenings. The same feeling he had on the first hearing of ‘Johnny & Mary’ in fact.
Having listened to both on multiple occasions they are now both firm favourites.
Sometimes our hero’s sophistication requires perseverance. He is always ahead.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:59 am 

Love Letters is a nice song in the tradition of the Taxi album. I mean it's nothing that knocks me out, no real chorus, but it slowly finds its way into my hearing channels ;). And it's always good to listen to new material from my life-long hero Bryan Ferry - with the prospect of another three songs to be published in May.

Yesterday I managed to get Love Letters played on my favourite radio station. When I wrote to them they didn't know the song but then they somehow made it possible 8-) .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:10 pm 

Mes amis,
Quel bonheur! Our hero is apparently healthy & creative. I agree with the great pianoman that Love letters reminds of the material from Taxi. It's a beautiful little piece. When I hear it, I see a small pond in front of me with chrystal clear water. Let's hope that the new material will be released on cd/vinyl soon.
Although I prefer to attend BF;s concerts with his own band, I have bought tickets for the O2 show. The concert there in 2011 was the only time I left feeling slightly disappointed. Hope the general mood is better this time around. I have been to O2 a couple of times to watch tennis, the "tent" seems to be more suitable for Nadal than for music.
Quand même, this is Christmas time for us all!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:45 am 

The phrase 'All Ferry is good Ferry' is a ridiculous one. Unfortunately, it ain't the case and Love Letters is another proof of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next