VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New music from Bryan Ferrry
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:32 am 

Well there's no sign of Johnny Marr on this project which would suggest to me there's more to come!

I'm also thinking (looking at the musicians used) that this was done some time ago Waddy Wachtel for instance.

I'm not convinced this is all he's been doing and a new album is still waiting in the wings.....he's just sorting out the tour dates

Fingers crossed

Last edited by Helen on Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:59 am 

@Helen

Thanks for the hope.

I had only read or heard that Phil was on 12 Bryan tracks. But I didn't hear anything about it from Johnny Marr ... maybe there is a link to this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:06 am 

Helen wrote:

I'm also thinking (looking at the musicians used) that this was done some time ago Waddy Watchel for instance.

According to the news update on Bryan's website the tracks were started in Nashville in 2019 and completed in London in 2020.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:13 am 

Uwe wrote:
@Helen

Thanks for the hope.

I had only read or heard that Phil was on 12 Bryan tracks. But I didn't hear anything about it from Johnny Marr ... maybe there is a link to this?

Yeah, here's the link

About 18 minutes in

https://youtu.be/EuNwEnFSY4s

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:14 am 

Robertron wrote:
The only disheartening thing about this is that the press release describes him as the former singer of Roxy Music.

Not just the singer either, but maybe those are their words and not his.

Maybe Roxy has a new singer? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:19 am 

True2Life wrote:
Helen wrote:

I'm also thinking (looking at the musicians used) that this was done some time ago Waddy Watchel for instance.

According to the news update on Bryan's website the tracks were started in Nashville in 2019 and completed in London in 2020.

Ah right, I didn't know he had been working with him as recent as that.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:02 am 

Although Roxy and BF's history is replete with false dawns, it seems pretty certain BF has further work up his sleeve, as the reminders here about recent collaborations testify.

Against that background, this project is a welcome 'extra'. It's well-trodden ground so there aren't any surprises beyond the sudden release of the first track. I think the greater interest will be in the EP as a whole. Looked at in another way, it's a mini-LP, so how it all hangs together as a project and the overall feel of it is key - the whole may well exceed the sum of its parts.

Although the origins are very different, this invokes feelings in me of the rather wonderful Windswept EP - let's see if Love Letters delivers something as welcome.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:11 am 

I'm more interested in hearing his version of Elvin Bishop's Fooled Around And Fell In Love. So many cover versions of Love Letters have been done over the years, less so of the Bishop track, so it's not so over familiar. Also the original is far more recent.

Still would like to see these tracks get a physical release at some stage - judging by the vinyl reissues of the Roxy albums this year they must be aware that much of Bryan's audience is of an age to still prefer physical product.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:20 am 

I like it. Has that Taxi- Elvis covers vibe. Looking forward to the signed vinyl EP’s that I bet will come front the Bryan Ferry Shop. I’ll be first on line. Can’t wait for the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:00 am 

I’m still really hoping that, despite it being a digital EP release, that we will see some form of physical format down the line. Even a limited edition vinyl drop would be excellent.

Even better would be a full album release at some point - even if these were to be the only four new songs then I’m sure there’s bound to be cover material in the vaults that can be added to make a full album.

I used to be critical that Bryan wasn’t quite embracing the digital age - now when he does I complain that it’s not enough!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next