VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: These Foolish Things
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:47 pm 

We’ll all be aware of forthcoming 50th anniversary release dates of both For Your Pleasure and Stranded.
It will also be the 50th for the aforementioned These Foolish Things, which was a bold and innovative move by Ferry, and caused a few eyebrows to be raised at the time.

I was too young to realise just how bold a move this was by Ferry at the time. I simply just loved the album and I can still recall the unique aroma of the cover that record sleeves no longer seem to produce.

Post subject: Re: These Foolish Things
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:42 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
We’ll all be aware of forthcoming 50th anniversary release dates of both For Your Pleasure and Stranded.
It will also be the 50th for the aforementioned These Foolish Things, which was a bold and innovative move by Ferry, and caused a few eyebrows to be raised at the time.

I was too young to realise just how bold a move this was by Ferry at the time. I simply just loved the album and I can still recall the unique aroma of the cover that record sleeves no longer seem to produce.

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
A welcome intervention from the ever tasteful avalon_eyes.
This was indeed a bold and innovative move from our hero but perhaps less ‘eyebrow raising’ for those of us that had seen ‘The Gas Board’ or, who’d been part of that North East scene. A lot of the soul numbers harped back to that era.
In fact this, more than any of his other albums, reminds W2 of Newcastle. He remembers conversing endlessly with Julie’s DJ, Tony Clark and with Annabel’s John Harker about the album. They both loved it and, of course, when Ferry came into Annabel’s, Harker couldn’t resist playing ‘Hard Rain’. A bit ‘uncool’ and certainly something that made Bryan look a little embarrassed.
Halcyon days and W2 still plays the album on a punctual basis.
Salutations a tous ,
Windswept

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:11 pm 

Even 50 years on, I think anyone coming to the Roxy/BF canon for the first time or studying popular music of the period would be astonished by the quantum leap from RM/FYP to TFT. Still further by what an accomplished and thoughtful album BF achieved with his first solo outing.

It's so easy to take it for granted after all this time but it still feels fresh and the arrangements so inspired. Along with ATGB, possibly BF's most enduring (and endearing) solo work.

All of which means the inevitable unmarked passing of this milestone anniversary, will be another lost opportunity and leaves the RM/BF back catalogue wallowing in a SDE wasteland whilst musical peers reward fans with unseen/unheard riches. When we're gone, we're gone!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:41 pm 

I recall 1973 as the year when the electric shock and "newness" of the '72 minted coin - with Ziggy on one side and the Roxy debut on the other - morphed into something truly atmospheric and sophisticated, the air crackled with creativity.

This was when Bryan left all-comers in his brilliantined wake.

For your Pleasure was a masterpiece, dark and malevolent, yet in "grey lagoons" it has the light touch you will find necessary in, say, a Hitchcock movie.

And then our "Elvis Dracula" (nod to the great Ian Hunter there) reveals his boyish charming adoration of everything from Cole Porter to Brian Wilson.....and blitzing a Dylan original out of the Penshaw park.

Then a few short months the later, as the tuxedo slips into view alongside psychedelic flamingos and martinis at sunset, we get "Stranded." Arguably the band's greatest soundscape coming with "Serenade" then "A Song for Europe" ( brilliant rebuttal on the naff Eurovision song contest ) and the ultraglorious "Mother of Pearl" - Oscar Wilde would have had that as the soundtrack to "The Picture of Dorian Gray. "

And Sunderland beat the alleged greatest English team ever in The FA cup final, with the greatest ever save in the history of Wembley cup finals!!!!

Cheers and belated happy new year to all xxx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:11 pm 

rendezvous wrote:
I recall 1973 as the year when the electric shock and "newness" of the '72 minted coin - with Ziggy on one side and the Roxy debut on the other - morphed into something truly atmospheric and sophisticated, the air crackled with creativity.

This was when Bryan left all-comers in his brilliantined wake.

For your Pleasure was a masterpiece, dark and malevolent, yet in "grey lagoons" it has the light touch you will find necessary in, say, a Hitchcock movie.

And then our "Elvis Dracula" (nod to the great Ian Hunter there) reveals his boyish charming adoration of everything from Cole Porter to Brian Wilson.....and blitzing a Dylan original out of the Penshaw park.

Then a few short months the later, as the tuxedo slips into view alongside psychedelic flamingos and martinis at sunset, we get "Stranded." Arguably the band's greatest soundscape coming with "Serenade" then "A Song for Europe" ( brilliant rebuttal on the naff Eurovision song contest ) and the ultraglorious "Mother of Pearl" - Oscar Wilde would have had that as the soundtrack to "The Picture of Dorian Gray. "

And Sunderland beat the alleged greatest English team ever in The FA cup final, with the greatest ever save in the history of Wembley cup finals!!!!

Cheers and belated happy new year to all xxx

Hipsters,
Bravo a ‘Rendezvous’ . What a brilliant ode to the most creative of times. W2 bets he wrote it in ‘The Biz Bar’.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:34 pm 

Hipsters,
Bravo a ‘Rendezvous’ . What a brilliant ode to the most creative of times. W2 bets he wrote it in ‘The Biz Bar’.
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.[/quote]

It may have been Louis' Cafe or Notriannies (spelling!?!?)

Best wishes my friend.