VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Mamouna/Horoscope Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:28 am 
Site Owner

HMV are taking pre-orders for a 2LP & 3CD Deluxe Edition of the Horoscope/Mamouna sessions recorded between 1989-1994.

More details here:

http://vivaroxymusic.com/albums_129.php

https://hmv.com/store/music/cd/mamouna-horoscope

https://hmv.com/store/music/vinyl/mamouna-horoscope

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Mamouna/Horoscope Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:37 pm 

Fantastic news, John, I had never expected Horoscope to see the light of day. Although Mamouna was not my favourite Ferry album I can't wait to have this 3-CD-set. Do you know if it is going to be published in other countries (such as Germany), too :D ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:31 pm 

It seems that many Horoscope tracks have previously showed up on Youtube with variable sonic quality...

This official release is something I look forward to buying when the cd version is available in the States.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:43 am 
Site Owner

Disc 2 looks like what has been previously available even if not on an official release. It will be nice to hear this at the right speed and mastered as previous unofficial versions sound like that they were off a cassette and playing slightly slow.

The material on disc 3 has never been released. I heard Your Painted Smile piano/vocal on a recent visit to Studio One and it showed how beautiful this song is when stripped down.

J.O'B

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:28 am 

So no sign of Blinded By The Life I'm Living, as it's called on unofficial versions, or Elysium as it has also been referred to? Or is it under a different title?

Pleased to see that these things are starting to emerge at last.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:52 am 

This is a fantastic surprise and great to see this getting a bit of treatment rather than just the usual remaster of the original album.
Releasing the Horoscope album is great news, especially as it’s already out there but in an inferior form, and I look forward to hearing the demos as well.

Will be getting the vinyl as I don’t have the original Mamouna album on vinyl and also the CD set for that third disc of demos.

Hopefully this isn’t the last we’ll see of Bryan re-releasing his solo albums with extra material.
Oh for an As Time Goes By 25th anniversary deluxe set next year!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:59 pm 

Will be interesting to see if the main album is remastered or maybe even remixed? I recall quotes from Bryan, maybe in David Buckley's book, where he said that he listened to Mamouna years after and found it "interesting, but where am I?" because his vocal is relatively low in the mix.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:48 pm 

True2Life wrote:
So no sign of Blinded By The Life I'm Living, as it's called on unofficial versions, or Elysium as it has also been referred to? Or is it under a different title?

It might seem that Bryan wants to use this song for another purpose. The links now show "Page not found".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:32 pm 

May just be that HMV jumped the gun ahead of an official announcement?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:17 pm 

Bon soir, mes amis!

This is the most interesting news for a very long time. Mamouna has always had a special place in my heart. When I met our hero 10-15 years ago and mentioned that Mamouna was my favourite album, he looked pleased.
One thing that always impressed me about BF is that he has been able to find such a good balance between making music that often has been fairly avantgarde and yet he has been so successful commercially. The best exemple of this is of course Avalon. With Mamouna he went a little over the top. I feel that this is an album for the connoisseurs rather than for a broad audience. It´s a chocolate made of cocoa 95% so to speak.
One thing I don´t understand, though, is that it seems to be an item from HMV solely. Why can´t we find it, for example, on BF;s own site?
Salutations à tous!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next