VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mamouna/Horoscope Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:36 pm 

I am really excited to listen to Horoscope and all the documents of Bryan's song "overkill" time (64 tracks ;) ). But I still don't know if it is published worldwide or not? Otherwise I'd have to order it in UK asap. Any information, John 8-) ?

Hopefully you've gleaned this from other posts in this thread, Pianoman, but Mamouna/Horoscope will be on general release, but the date for it has not been officially confirmed (it seems that HMV may have jumped the gun a bit in suggesting 25th August, but we'll see...).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:43 pm 

Thanks, Smudge. I didn't find the possible release date so far, but now I know ;) . By the way: Of course, one last solo album from Bryan - let's call it "Love Letters" or whatever - would be absolutely fantastic 8-) .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:57 am 

Oberon wrote:
Cher W2, that was great news that our hero looked to be in good shape. Thanks for sharing that. Did you approach the maestro and said thank you for the music?
I plan to spend the winter in Tokyo. The best part of the 90s I lived there. Thus I associate Mamouna with Tokyo. I think it was in 95 I attended three BF concerts in one week. If I remember right, he played only one song from Mamouna, Painted smile. I also have My only face as an all time favourite, still I think that Mamouna firts of all is a masterpiece as a whole.
Salutations à tous!

Cher Oberon,
Malheureusement no - the situation didn’t allow but W2 did merit a wave (he’s met him a number of times before) - something that earned him much kudos at his table but didn’t diminish his share of ‘l’addition’ which at The River Cafe is considerable.
Your point about the set list is interesting.
Windswept thinks that at that juncture of his career and particularly not having toured for a while, our hero felt obliged to perform more ‘hits’ in his set list when visiting far away places.
W2 saw the show at London’s Apollo and from memory it was pretty loaded with cuts from the album.
Certainly we are in complete agreement that this is his masterpiece and Windswept always considers it the third in his noir trilogy. A peerless album.
In fact W2 rates it ahead of anything he did with Roxy. Including the sublime ‘Avalon’.
There, it has been said - the brickbats will follow !
Have a superb winter in Tokyo when the time arrives.
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:05 pm 

Mamouna is a very professionally made album with a handsome sound bespeaking hours and hours of studio work.

For me the downside relates to the often sluggish song tempos that, while at times quite evocative, become a bit tiresome after a while.

I have wondered what the song Mamouna could be like if BF had brought in TGPT to drive the rhythm and give it a danceable groove...

Anyway, what's good about the album is that it is not a bunch of tracks slapped together from different eras in BF's studio history. They were conceived in the same studio environment and share a sonic DNA. That's a plus in my book...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:17 am 

DCJ wrote:
Anyway, what's good about the album is that it is not a bunch of tracks slapped together from different eras in BF's studio history. They were conceived in the same studio environment and share a sonic DNA. That's a plus in my book...

Agreed - never more evident than on Avonmore. Whilst the album was a welcome addition, it's always sounded rather cobbled together to me, for precisely the reason cited by DCJ. I know I'm doing BF a disservice there because he's self-evidently incapable of cobbling together anything, but for me that acoustic conclusion is inescapable.
Post-Taxi, I'd say the only (non-live) albums that feel like a coherent whole are Mamouna, ATGB, Dylanesque and the forays into jazz. I'm looking forward to the Mamouna/Horoscope release based on intrigue alone but have high hopes for what we're led to believe is new work in development which will, presumably, be (finally) unencumbered by anything that's been lying on the Horoscope cutting room floor these last 30+ years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:30 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
DCJ wrote:

Agreed - never more evident than on Avonmore. Whilst the album was a welcome addition, it's always sounded rather cobbled together to me, for precisely the reason cited by DCJ. I know I'm doing BF a disservice there because he's self-evidently incapable of cobbling together anything, but for me that acoustic conclusion is inescapable.
Post-Taxi, I'd say the only (non-live) albums that feel like a coherent whole are Mamouna, ATGB, Dylanesque and the forays into jazz. I'm looking forward to the Mamouna/Horoscope release based on intrigue alone but have high hopes for what we're led to believe is new work in development which will, presumably, be (finally) unencumbered by anything that's been lying on the Horoscope cutting room floor these last 30+ years.

Mes Amis,
Interesting points from learned Ferryistas.
Of course, what we never know is to what extent songs long in the making are re-made, re-modelled for release. Albeit ‘Horoscope’ gives some insight into this.
That said, the cohesion of the ‘Roxy’ albums, B&G, BN and those mentioned by UKRichard is inescapable and as DJC eloquently puts it to ‘share a sonic DNA’ is indeed a plus.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:23 pm 

If this is to be an August release we should hear more about the sale date very soon.
Mamouna is one of my favourite Ferry records , and with the addition of Horoscope I look forward to a Ferry double record that is not a Greatest Hits.
But this begs the question ,
Shall we have ever new material from Studio One?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:55 pm 

This has suddenly went a bit quiet - I expected with the HMV link that they had just put it up too soon and that an official announcement was imminent.

Three weeks later and still nothing. Please don’t tell me they showed Bryan the paper for the artwork…..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:31 am 

Scott wrote:
This has suddenly went a bit quiet - I expected with the HMV link that they had just put it up too soon and that an official announcement was imminent.

Three weeks later and still nothing. Please don’t tell me they showed Bryan the paper for the artwork…..

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,
The Great Scott’s sign off made me laugh.
Bryan’s perfectionism is legendary.
W2 rewatched ‘The Making Of Olympia’ last night and the commentary from every interlocutor pointed to a man whose work is never done. ‘Fair Le travail pour fair Le travail’ en plus, Dave Stewart’s story about the Russian Beauty Queen was priceless.
Ferry is clearly the consummate artist but haven’t we all benefited from that ? He’s entertained and educated W2 all of his musical life.
Viva Perfectionism. Viva Ferry !
Salutations a tous,
Windswept.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:00 am 

I think the Ferry examines paper scenario might be in play, and the album is not going to be released in August.
In fantasy land, 1 September is the 45th anniversary of the release of The Bride Stripped Bare, originally considered for a double album release. Now that would be a celebration if it came out, given the quality of the original album plus the Windswept EP tracks, and any others in the can.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next