VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mamouna Horoscope Deluxe - upcoming release
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:50 pm 

I hope it’s ok to start a new strand now that the release is official.
A few observations - the LP releases are “ Half speed “ remasters.
The ,’ Sketches ’ CD may not be. The recently released on line track “ Your Painted Smile” is described as 1999 remastered.

The £32.00 price tag for a double LP , half speed re-mastered , is inexpensive compared to recent similar releases from other artists .

Is this a Ferry /HMV release only , I wonder? Not available in other record stores.

Anyone want to guess what “ Raga” is? “ S&M”.

Finally, the artwork on Horoscope looks pretty cool.

Post subject: Re: Mamouna Horoscope Deluxe - upcoming release
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:40 pm 

Bon soir!
Trés bien, avalon eyes, it's time to turn the page.
Just told my wife that Mamouna deluxe is on the top of my birthday wish list. As I have written many times before, Mamouna is an all time favourite album of mine. I've never listened so much to the Horoscope material, but I do like the funky version of Mother of pearl.
Still I have a confession to make. Perhaps it's my ears that are weak, but to me these remastrered editions never really changed the soundscape that much. I listened to an old vinyl by The Moody Blues the other night, Seventh soujourn, released in the early seventies, I must say it has a remarkable good sound. Did they know something at that time about recording on vinyl that now somehow is forgotten?
Salutations à tous!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:57 pm 
Site Owner

avalon_eyes wrote:

Anyone want to guess what “ Raga” is? “ S&M”.

the titles given for Horoscope are the working titles that were used at the time. They are:

Where Do We Go From Here
(A different version ended up on Mamouna as The 39 Steps)

The Only Face (Horoscope Version)
(A different version ended up on Mamouna)

Desdemona
(A different version ended up on Mamouna as NYC)

S&M
(A different version ended up on Avonmore as Midnight Train)

Loop De Li
(A different version ended up on Avonmore)

Gemini Moon (Horoscope Version)
(A different version ended up on Mamouna)

Raga
A previously unreleased track that had the assumed title Blinded by The Life I'm Living, or (The Death Of Me)

Mother of Pearl
This is a longer version of the version that was on the One Way Love CD single.
https://www.vivaroxymusic.com/singles_358.php

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:04 am 

Very interesting JO'B - much to look forward to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:29 pm 

Review from the latest issue of 'Uncut'. Without delving into my own 'archives' I can't be certain, but I don't recall anything quite as favourable the first time around. To me, there's some recognition here about what a quality - and underrated at the time - piece of work this album was. Additionally, there's a round of applause for the extras that make up this Deluxe Edition.

Attachments:
IMG_20231017_172516_(520_x_1080_pixel).jpg
IMG_20231017_172516_(520_x_1080_pixel).jpg [ 226.83 KiB | Viewed 250962 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:55 am 

Am wondering if there will be any new interviews in the written media with the great man to support this reissue? It's been very quiet since the Roxy tour

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:24 am 

Youtube has a new video titled 'Bryan Ferry – The Only Face (Piano and Vocal ‘93) (Official Video)' premiering soon.

If this is the same as the excerpt on the Mamouna promo video it should be absolutely superb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75cRAMGGAIc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:29 pm 

Just watched the video for The Only Face - great to see it in its entirety! Loved it when it was on the Mamouna documentary and always wondered why they never included the full version on it.

Just noticed that the song is available for streaming and, having listened to it a few times, think it’s a great version. So different from the original - just Bryan and a piano, hauntingly beautiful. Took me back to the ATGB and Frantic tours with this version.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:53 am 

Scott wrote:
Just watched the video for The Only Face - great to see it in its entirety! Loved it when it was on the Mamouna documentary and always wondered why they never included the full version on it.

Just noticed that the song is available for streaming and, having listened to it a few times, think it’s a great version. So different from the original - just Bryan and a piano, hauntingly beautiful. Took me back to the ATGB and Frantic tours with this version.

Mes Amis,
Comme toujour, le grand Scott makes a fabulous point.
As the years pass W2 becomes more and more convinced that this is one of our hero’s greatest chansons.
As to the best version ?
Yes Windswept loves this one - it just oozes style but ultimately Windswept’s sought after Premier Cru’ award goes to the version with Jools Holland. The reason being Jool’s keys are just more on point, whilst Ferry’s vocals are the equal with the real deciding factor being Ferry’s harmonica. If your timbers aren’t shivered when he whips out
his pocket rocket you should check your pulse
Salutations a tous,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:13 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Mes Amis,
Comme toujour, le grand Scott makes a fabulous point.
As the years pass W2 becomes more and more convinced that this is one of our hero’s greatest chansons.
As to the best version ?
Yes Windswept loves this one - it just oozes style but ultimately Windswept’s sought after Premier Cru’ award goes to the version with Jools Holland. The reason being Jool’s keys are just more on point, whilst Ferry’s vocals are the equal with the real deciding factor being Ferry’s harmonica. If your timbers aren’t shivered when he whips out
his pocket rocket you should check your pulse
Salutations a tous,
W2

Ah how could I forget that version! I remember when I first heard the Jools and Bryan version thinking how you could picture it being played at 2am in a darkened, basement jazz club!

I’ll need to look out that album of Jools Holland and Friends to have another listen. If memory serves me right it never made it onto one of Bryan’s albums, just the Jools Holland one.

Thanks for the reminder Windswept - a large malt is getting poured whilst I go and give this another listen!