VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Drums
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:15 pm 

We've heard different drummers on different tours over the years. What does everyone think of Paul Thompson's replacements ? Andy Newmark, Michael Dawe., Steve Ferrone, Alvino Bennett and John Sutton have played drums on different tours. Did they add anything to the old songs ?

Post subject: Re: Drums
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:25 pm 

Ian

Nice post and I am replying as a drummer.

I think you have to remember that they are all drummers of different styles

TGPT - Bonhamesque
Newmark - funk soul session cat
Michael Dawe - played with Robert Palmer
Steve Ferrone - funk guy with Average White Band et all
Alvino Benett - US funk dude
John Sutton - old jazzer

TGPT is the Roxy drummer and IMHO Roxy is only Roxy when he's behind the kit

Andy Newmark - perfect for Avalon era stuff - a real pro and the only Roxy drummer after TGPT - different style but as close to Paul as you get

Michael Dawe - just used for the second part of the F&B tour - capable with a strange style - brought some nice touches

Steve Ferrone (didn't tour) and Alvino - great precise drummers who did great jobs in the studio (SF) or on tour (AB) - they did what they were asked to and nothing more

John Sutton - specifically used for the ATGB era - IMHO didn't fit with the Roxy Ferry tunes but was perfect for the ATGB stuff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 pm 

Steve Ferrone played drums on the '94 leg of the mamouna tour.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:45 pm 

being a drummer myself i must say i felt steve ferrone was the least effective .... his heart wasn`t in it :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 pm 

I can't play any instruments so I can only only comment on what sounds they brought to te songs. I thught Paul's drumming had a slighly muffled sound but that may have been due to the era that they were recorded in. Andy Newmark had a nice crisp sound which was perfect for the Avalon era and perhaps Paul's style wasn't quite right at that time. Although he sounded great on the 2001 tour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:07 pm 

wrighta wrote:
Steve Ferrone played drums on the '94 leg of the mamouna tour.

Thanks for that info

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:02 am 

i liked steve ferrone's style a lot on that tour...and i liked his contribution on mamouna too.

whilst i have liked andy newmark's drumming when i've seen him over the past few years with BF and Roxy, his drum solo in Dance Away (F+B) tour, was very sad, and i really didn't enjoy his contribution then.

TGPT is the one and only RM drummer. I prefer him playing any RM material. Without him, Roxy aint Roxy. When he plays on the later material live, it always sounds better to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:00 pm 

Yea, I'm a big Paul fan but try not to be biased. Things just don't sound right if Paul isn't on drums. AN is without any doubt, a fine and very accomplished drummer. As for the others, I'm not sure what they played on so can't comment.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:41 pm 

I have seen TGPT,Andy Newmark and Steve Ferrone live. Ferrone was impeccible on the Mamouna tour. I was in the front row next to the speaker bank. That particular show was one of the best concerts i have ever been to. My older brother saw BF for the first time that night. He leaned over to me during the show and said "I think he is better than Bowie". It was a perfect show all around.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 am 

Michael Dawe was a strange looking character, I saw him 30 years ago today (13th Jan. '81) at the Manchester Apollo when Roxy played the re-scheduled dates from the F+B Tour.

He was hunched over his kit and had this permanent grimace (kind of like "Animal" from the Muppets) as if every hit gave him an electric shock, a bit of a tub thumper too if I remember correctly.

I wonder what became of him and where BF first saw him?