VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: His voice....what's left of it.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:03 am 

I have noticed that Ferry's voice has not only declined in range and overall quality - but when he sings - he actually sounds like he has a cold. Listen to ATGB - strange quality.....I am a HUGE fan but I wonder if his singing chops can hack it --- and if he is pressed to sing on a plethora of tour dates.....Well I wonder...."When the show's in full swing...!!"

Post subject: Re: His voice....what's left of it.....
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:38 am 

It is noticeably changed. was there a throat problem or medical procedure done?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:21 am 

Ferry's 64 years old in September, so it's not surprising that his voice has changed - he can still perform a great show though - and I think there's still plenty of his voice left - I say, bring on the next tour :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:17 pm 

Fersure his voice has changed, and it`s sometimes fair to say deteriorated. I think "live", he can still sound great. On "Fool For Love" on the Frantic album, his voice comes across as very weak. On Dylanesque, only the much earlier recorded "All Along The Watchtower" satisfied me, when speaking of his voice.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:03 pm 

I still think Ferry's voice is great. He was certainly still able to sing on the Dylanesque tour - I haven't heard a lot of live stuff since then but what I have heard has been great. I thought part of the point of the Dylanesque album was that it wasn't overproduced and was much more intimate and acoustic than some of the stuff he's done before.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 pm 

Ferry's voice is still great in my opinion. Sure his voice and way of singing has changed a bit over the years, but that's normal in a career of forty years!
I was pleasantly surprised about the quality and power of the voice at the Roxy comeback in 2005 and at the Dylanesque tour in 2007.
Can't wait for the next "comeback"!

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:55 pm 

Roxyfan wrote:

"I thought part of the point of the Dylanesque album was that it wasn't overproduced and was much more intimate and acoustic than some of the stuff he's done before."

Does that justify having a bad voice, which he actually had on that album?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 am 

I have read a couple of posts on various forums speaking about Bryan's vocals on the track "She" and how they found it weak, although i do like his voice on that song, i like the raspy sound of it....However i thought he struggled a bit singing it live at a recent show with Aznavour and he seemed to "Talk" it.....Did anyone see that?...I'm not knocking Bryan as I have never come away from a live show thinking his voice wasn't up to it, and i can't comment on the next show as he hasn't done one yet!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:10 am 

As someone who turned 50 this year, I still await anything starting to work better than it used to.
The fact that the likes of Bryan, Dylan, Bowie, Springsteen, Cohen, Lou Reed, Iggy etc are still working, performing, recording is to be thankful for - none of them sound like they did at 21, 30 or 40 but most of us did the things we shine at better as young people.
The fact that they can still entertain live and occasionally give echoes of their best work in recording is wonderful - a lot of contemporaries have fallen by the wayside.
The 2001 Roxy shows were wondrous - the song choice near-perfect, the playing marvellous, the spectacle, well, er, spectacular and the old fox himself was as charismatic as ever.
I was lucky enough to see both Manchester shows and also a Radio City New York gig Sat 26 July 2003 - the day after I finally married my teenage sweetheart Lesley on our first NYC trip (24 years overdue but worth the wait - our beautiful daughter arrived on 26 April 2004!).
my first Roxy show - surprise surprise - was Preston 1974 a low-key warm-up for the Siren Tour, the wonderful Sadistic Mika Band supporting.
I've seen 3 or 4 BF solo shows too.
Anything we get in terms of new music or live shows from Britain's suavest senior citizen has to be accepted as the work of a fellow who's no longer carrying the flaming torch and the fire and hunger of youth.
I wish Bryan, and all fellow fans, the best oof health and happiness.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:32 am 

Preston, I hate to have to tell you - but you might have to change your username.

Roxy didn't tour the Siren album until 1975.

They promoted Country Life throughout 1974, and I even saw them in April '75 in Australia on the Country Life tour.

The Sadistic Mika band supported Roxy from October 1975 on the Siren tour. Sorry, to inform you, Preston75.

I liked and agree with your post though...