A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: BF illness report
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:41 pm 

The important thing is that Bryan is well ! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:37 pm 

If true, the comment made above that BF is "smoking again" is rather unsettling, both because it would not be good in terms of maintaining the quality of his singing voice and because if its general effect on overall health.

BF has organized a very ambitious touring schedule for the late spring through late summer. Traveling always induces stress (going through airports is never fun in the post-9/11 world) and tour logistics invariably spawn unforeseen headaches no matter how well planned.

Like others on this forum I wish him good health and godspeed as the summer proceeds...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:27 pm 

He said he had started smoking again shortly after his divorce, so I assume he's still at it. And that can't be any good for anyone. Have you heard a smoker cough in the morning !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:39 pm 

Come on Lefreak ! Have a heart. Some people are strong and can survive anything. Bryan's never been particularly strong physically. He's had numerous problems over the years on tour. Eno was the same and he refuses to tour now . Ever. Some people can do it. Some can't . I don't think I could and I'm ever so young !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:49 pm 

Smoking? Or "smoking"? Some believe that "smoking" may have been behind the "kidney stone" collapse all this years ago on the f&b tour.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:49 am 

That reminds me of an old joke.
Do you smoke after sex ? ......Can't say I've ever noticed !!! Haha !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:56 am 

Interested to read the rather puritanical comments of the non-smoking VRM membership... :roll:

Personally I rather like the idea of my heroes ignoring their critics and the Nanny State and doing just whatever they like (and to excess, if it suits them too!). BF would only go up in my estimation if they announced that he breakfasted in mid-afternoon and with a couple of glasses of vintage port included! :lol:

Makes me wonder how much effect "subliminal advertising" has on our lifestyles. Back in the mid 70s (I'd have been 14 or 15 years old) I had a poster on my wall of BF sitting in a high-backed chair and smoking a Gitanes (the rest of the iconic blue packet was also in shot...). Coincidentally (or not?) this has been my preferred brand for much of my life.

Although I love most things French (despite their inability or unwillingness to cook a steak properly!) and strong flavours in all things (food & drink, as well as cigarettes), I wonder if BF's influence has been with me for longer than I realised?

Of course, the fact that none of you pays to listen to me sing makes a difference! I'd probably sound like Serge Gainsbourg with a hangover...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 pm 

Smudge, I'm not trying to be puritanical in my comments regarding cigarettes, I'm just trying to be real. Smoking is not good for anybody'd vocal cords and the longer you smoke the more pronounced the impact is on your voice. BF's voice has definitely weakened over the years (although it has still remained expressive) and this is something that has been commented on more than a few times regarding Olympia...

On a more general health note, yes there are some people who smoke like chimneys and still seem very agile and healthy as they approach/enter their seventies. But they are the exception and not the rule. There are good reasons why doctors encourage people to stop smoking - its simply the simplest way to foster a longer, healthier life...

Anyway, I didn't mean to scold BF for smoking (and thus come across as putitanical). I just wanted to register concern if it was true that smoking had returned as feature of his lifestyle...

All the best,
DC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:36 pm 

I'm a smoker and am currently taking part in a voluntary 16 week research programme on the subject. After my first appraisal, the Dotor dealing with me found it hard to believe I was a smoker at all based on the tests taken thus far. My peak flow meter hits 856 with a big exclamation mark (856!) it say's. A sort of smoker's gold star. It's never stunted my growth. I'm not afraid to admit it but I started smoking when I was 14, because Bryan Ferry smoked. I started drinking when I was 41, because I learned then Bryan Ferry took a drink. Impressionable age and all that. Sterling Superkings for me though. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:11 am 

SB: Glad to hear you're doing well. You're one of the lucky ones...