VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rare And Unreleased
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:04 pm 
Site Owner

http://soundcloud.com/bryanferry/sets/rare-live-studio

I heard some out takes from some sessions recorded in 2004. Running Wild sounds similar in style to what I heard from those sessions.

When She Walks In The Room is taken from the memorial service for Isabella Blow, a close friend of the Ferry's who designed the hat on the '1995 compilation 'More Than This'. The Olympia album was also dedicated to her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... otion.html

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Rare And Unreleased
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:20 pm 

Interesting what you have to say about RW sounding like material you've heard dating back ti 2004. To me it sounds like TGPT drumming has been added to what otherwise sounds pretty much like the RW released on Flesh and Blood. And TGPT was BF's go to-drummer back in 2004.

I found the ska version of Beauty Queen impossible to listen to all the way through. I've always liked BQ but this version does nothing for me...

In contrast, the live version of Pos 4th St is quite good. I'm not a big fan of Dylanesque, but I can certainly see why people would like this live track. Leo A is in fine form...

DC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:24 am 

I love them all. The Ska Mix of Beauty Queen is a strange one but anything is better than nothing, to an exent. We have had Olympia, a Roxy tour, a few remixes, and Bryan tour to come. It's been a great few monrhs !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:29 pm 

Every once in a while I find a "remix" to be interesting, but most of the time they just don't hold my attention. All of the various remixes of tracks from Olympia that spewed forth last year did little more than leave me rather exhausted and wondering "Hmmm. How many people are actually going to download these tracks off the web?" A few dozen? A couple of hundred? Hard to believe it would be any more than that...

But Ian, if you like'em that's cool by me!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:30 am 

I know what you mean DCJ. Most remixes aren't up to much, and pre 1985 I would have been fairly disappointed. But these days, we get such a trickle of output that I would take anything ! But Running Wild and When She Walks are certainly worth more than a listen .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:08 am 
Site Owner

I think once you start having too many re-mixes, alternative versions etc the music begins to be de-valued. I love the album version of You Can Dance but when you consider the amount of mixes available for this track then add to that the 5 or so mixes by DJ Hell we are well into double figures for that, an album length on it's own.

There are so many official, unofficial re-mixes by many artists of Roxy/Ferry tracks that it is hard to keep track of what is Bryan/Roxy's discography. What counts as an official 'single' now?? What counts as being a Roxy/Ferry release? all very confusing.

There was a time when I bought every release in every format etc. For the Olympia sessions, I bought the double disc version only. I haven't bought the 10 track CD, LP, 3CD or Japanese version, something I would have normally done. Neither do I have any of the Re-mix promo CDs or downloads singles (mainly as I had a long spell of unemployment and just couldn't afford/justify it) but apart from that I just want to enjoy Olympia for what it is.

I am not a fan of downloads, old fashioned in that way, I prefer to buy an actual tactile object that sounds much better. I have heard some on line re-mixes but because there are so many I haven't listened to them all. I think that is because the line is now becoming blurred to when I am listening to Ferry or not.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:58 am 

I agree totally! Happy Easter.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 pm 

I think that the Mylo, Kaos, and Still going remixes of Shameless are excellent .. The Mylo remix , in particular being a great wee stomp !
...I also prefer playing the Leo Zero Alphaville to people.. which most folk seem to be caught by in about 30 seconds . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:58 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
http://soundcloud.com/bryanferry/sets/rare-live-studio

I heard some out takes from some sessions recorded in 2004. Running Wild sounds similar in style to what I heard from those sessions.

When She Walks In The Room is taken from the memorial service for Isabella Blow, a close friend of the Ferry's who designed the hat on the '1995 compilation 'More Than This'. The Olympia album was also dedicated to her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... otion.html

J.O'B.

Can I pick your your brains John?

I recall reading at the time of the memorial service that it started with Bryan Ferry "performing" When She Walks In The Room and assumed that was a vocal performance but I'm guessing now it was not.

As the service took place at the Guards Chapel in Wellington Barracks and the Regimental Band of the Irish Guards played during the service would it be correct to assume that this brass version is the one performed by them?

I think it is a lovely version of the song, very fitting for the occasion.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:04 pm 
Site Owner

<<<<As the service took place at the Guards Chapel in Wellington Barracks and the Regimental Band of the Irish Guards played during the service would it be correct to assume that this brass version is the one performed by them? >>>>

Yes this is correct. I heard this recording about a year ago and had it explained to me where it came from.

I love this arrangement on many levels. The main one is that I was brought up in a brass band family and I played brass in a band just like this for many years before I left the area.

J.O'B.