VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Rare And Unreleased
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:43 pm 

Thanks John, I like to know the background to these rare tracks.

Now I'm wondering if the arrangment was done by Bryan himself or if that would be left upto the band leader? I imagine it would be a specific task to arrange a song to suit all brass instruments.

8-)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:39 pm 

How to save these trax?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:59 pm 

I have a problem with the brass band version of When she walks in the room ... I'm not sure it's in good taste to record an arrangement of your own music from a close friend's funeral / and then release it on soundcloud ?! Also to further add to this I think it's a "you had to be there" moment - listening to it at home leaves me cold - it seems distant and empty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:00 am 

I agree with Gardner's first point. I felt uncomfortable listening to an extract from what should be a strictly private and solemn occasion for its entertainment value.

Having said that, I can understand why Bryan would want the wider world to hear this as it is quite lovely and showcases his talent as a composer as distinct from a performer. It is just a pity that he didn't record a take from rehearsal and post this instead. Forget funerals - this would make a very nice wedding march if anybody out there is about to take the plunge.

Also, while I know that it is just a bit of fun, I really enjoyed the ska mix of Beauty Queen. Who would have thought this would work - but it does. I couldn't listen to a whole album's worth though !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:03 am 

I would like to highlight that the brass version of WSWITR is not from the funeral of Isabella Blow but from her memorial service which was held in September 2007 after she died in May.

As a memorial service is often held to celebrate the life of the person concerned and not quite so solemn and private I don't feel it inappropriate to share this with a wider audience, I imagine Bryan would have considered this before doing so. I found it quite uplifting and I like Avondale's suggestion that it could be used for a wedding march.

I felt far more uncomfortable listening to the ska version of Beauty Queen :o ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up, Roxy. I feel a lot better about it now and am much more inclined to listen to it again.

Anyway, I should have known that Bryan has too much class to do something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:02 am 

Loved the alternative version of Running Wild; maybe it'll be dusted off for the Olympia tour? I'm afraid that Beauty Queen (especially) & When She Walks In The Room had me pining for the originals, though (accepting, of course, the background to the latter piece).

The Dublin version of Positively 4th Street was interesting too, as it contained solos by guitar and (briefly) harmonica, as well as violin or viola. I caught the up with the Dylanesque tour in Brighton (cheaper to pay for the train from London and attend The Dome there than to catch the Royal Albert Hall gig!) and my recollection is that it was performed there as a duet for voice & viola.