All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Aarhus Set List
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 am 

Sounds great to me!
Can't wait for Kew and Gloucester!

Nick

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:51 pm 

We all have opinions and if we didn't there would be no forum. It's good to hear everyone's opinions on the set list and what should be played and what shouldn't. Hopefully, this forum won't turn out like YouTube where people call each other all sorts of things for no real reason !

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:58 pm 

He tried out a whole load of songs on the early part of the Frantic tour before the choice of songs settled down so we may have a load more of chopping and changing

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:49 pm 

Here's "What Goes On" from Aarhus if anyone's interested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5z4folzx7fck9kp

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:54 pm 

I am not one to moan about the set lists, I'm fairly happy with whatever the man does and always happy to go and see him.
But if I am allowed one comment that would be that I would like to see a set of only Ferry songs, drop the Roxy ones. There are plenty to chose from. Personnaly I'd like to see the following added:
I Thought, This Island Earth, Can't Let Go, This Is Tomorrow, Party Doll, In Your Mind, Funny How Time Slips Away, Bete Noire, a few more from Olympia.
I could go on, but I'll stop there.
Anyway, looking forward to the concerts in Paris and Lyon.

Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:16 pm 

Bryan's version of What Goes On is an amalgamation of 2 Velvet Underground songs, one of which was What Goes On and the other wss Beginning to See the Light. So, I'm not suprised he forgot the words ! He probably couldn't remember which words he changed in 1978 !

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm 

thnx to all those who have posted clips.

listening to many of them, i can't help thinking how much stronger bry's voice sounds. it was getting to sound very weak (and i'm very sad to say that); the recent gig clips sound great, lots of punch.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 am 

It's difficult to figure out exactly what BF is up to with a big Olympia Tour that only includes two songs from the namesake album. And three songs from The Bride Stripped Bare that hit the racks 31 years ago and has largely languished ever since...

He's assembled a big supporting cast and this can't be a cheap tour to finance. I guess he'll make out OK, but only if he stays healthy and gigs don't need to be cancelled or "postponed."

So I'm wondering: Why put some much time and energy into this "promote the catalog" tour rather than do something new with Roxy??? Sigh...

DC

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:53 am 

Well, it could be that he can't come up with great songs any more and he doesn't want to ruin the Roxy name with a bum album.
It may be financial. Manzanera and Mackay want more than the session musicians and the royalties have to be shared out, leaving less for Bryan.
It could be musical. Thompson, Manzanera and Mackay are not the best in their field and I don't think Bryan rates them that much.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:10 am 

IanS wrote:
Well, it could be that he can't come up with great songs any more and he doesn't want to ruin the Roxy name with a bum album.
It may be financial. Manzanera and Mackay want more than the session musicians and the royalties have to be shared out, leaving less for Bryan.
It could be musical. Thompson, Manzanera and Mackay are not the best in their field and I don't think Bryan rates them that much.

i think this is spot on, and likely all three factors are at play. from my fan's point of view, the first is laudable, the second understandable, but regrettable, the third predictable (given Bry's many allusions) but imho, mistaken - nearly all Bry's best work has been with these guys. TGPT is the best Paul Thompson, Andy the best Andy Mackay, and Phil the best Phil Manazanera out there.