VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Current Tour.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:02 pm 

Perhaps the presence of Tara behind a second set of drums is off-putting to some. Assuming that he is filling the role of Julia Thorton, would there be the same amount of criticism if he were standing upright behind a set of percussion instruments?

Quote:
I was at Kew and Arboretum and me and mate noticed that Tara didn't smile at all and don't think he wanted to be there!
The press leveled similar criticism at Bryan at a young age, something Bryan has attributed to his own shyness. Could be in the genes!

From the clips I have seen, Bryan's band sounds tight and professional - I can't wait to see him in Los Angeles this October.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:11 pm 

Isn't Ollie Thompson a mate of or went to school with Tara or Isaac ? Although he justifies his inclusion on talent alone ! Even if he only got in because of his connections.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:35 pm 

Isn't Ollie Thompson a mate of or went to school with Tara or Isaac ?

Not sure about the schooling, but Ollie & Tara are bandmates outside Roxy.

It's a shame if Ferry Jr. has lost interest or confidence of late because when I caught up with the tour in Paris he was playing significantly more purposefully than on the winter Roxy dates. Indeed, on a couple of the early numbers Andy N. seemed to be playing supportive percussion behind Tara's drumming before they reversed those roles for the later tunes.

Can't really offer a Kew view, as I was almost in the next field! :( Good to hear/read that Thetford was so positive, though, and looking forward to Thursday's broadcast.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 pm 

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum :D

Just wanted to say that I was at the Westonbirt gig and thought it was the best I'd seen BF perform in along time. Had a great view right down the front.

However, agree about Tara's performance in the concert. He looked very sulky as he if he definetely didn't want to be there. (or perhaps that's just his 'moody look'? I noticed when Bryan gestured to him to come in on the next song he didn't give him any eye contact. I also did notice him chewing gum but thought maybe a lot of drummers do that for concentration or something - :lol: My main concern is that they've never ever needed two drummers before, so why now? Nepotism? Or then again just to give him experience for playing in his own band? I thought it would have been the other way round though!

Ah well can't complain he's quite a looker so....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:37 pm 

Now Neil Hubbard's back on board is he playing the second solo on my only love which he originally played (his playing on the 1980 Wembley concert is sublime) assuming Ollie Thompson is doing Manzanera's parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:27 pm 

- prairie rose - DCJ - True To Life - Madman85

It is unfair and wrong to accuse me of playing the drums without passion, I put everything I have into the music. Music is my life. What makes you think you have the right to say that? Do you know me? Do you know what I feel? No, you don't. I'll tell you its a great honour and privilege to play music alongside my father, I love and respect more than anyone.

Andy Newmark and myself have different drumming styles, some songs are more in keeping with his style and others better suit me. Aiming to add variety, texture, power and greater contrast to the show. You should be able to work that out. This is the underlying reason why there are two drummers in the show. I am very lucky to be playing with a master like Andy, its the best experience one can get. He is one of the best out there, never failing to impress on and off the stool. We complement each other well with different playing styles, we have a great chemistry. Ask Andy if he thinks I deserve to be playing on the tour, if you get the chance and see what he says. You might not like the answer you receive.

I played the drums on the whole of the 'Olympia' album not because I am Bryan's son, but because he likes my playing. I should remind you, he can call in any musician he so desires into the studio - Mani, Greenwood, Flea, Gilmour to name a few. He chose me to play both on the record and on the tour because he likes my drum playing, not because of my blood.

If you don't like my style of playing thats your prerogative, but don't question my efforts.

Tara

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:26 am 

T:
For the record, I didn't question your effort. I simply haven't found what you add to the sound to be very interesting or compelling. That's simply my opinion -nothing more, nothing less.

Glad to see your input on the forum!

DCJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:29 am 

Viva Tara!
Good to see you on this site.
I think it is so nice, and great fun, to see you on stage with your father!
Lucky you, lucky Bryan!

Kari, Norway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:33 am 

WOW, talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. Gotta get a thicker skin Tara, if you're going to make it in the industry. And do you really think Andy Newmark would say anything negative if asked? I would actually like to ask Paul Thompson his opinion, TBH.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:07 am 

Bill wrote:
WOW, talk about throwing your toys out of the pram. Gotta get a thicker skin Tara, if you're going to make it in the industry. And do you really think Andy Newmark would say anything negative if asked? I would actually like to ask Paul Thompson his opinion, TBH.

That's just being churlish. The guy gets criticised (unfairly in my view) by self appointed "experts" and quite naturally defends and explains his position. What more could you expect?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next