VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stockholm Review
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 pm 

The following mini review appeared in the Mail on Sunday at the weekend. I can't find it online nor work out how to paste on this site so I have typed it out longhand. They gave the gig 4 stars out of a possible 5 and it is a pretty good review - so well worth the effort to type out. Let's hope he keeps up this sort of form for the rest of the tour.

Two months ago Bryan Ferry spent a night in hospital with a mystery ailment, amid rumours that he was 'seriously ill'. You would never have known it from this performance in Stockholm.
He loves to put gifted musicians together, a habit he funds by doing gigs for the super-rich. If this makes his fans a little queasy, it has a good side: the rich tend to have short attention spans, so Ferry gives them an edit of his long career.
This show, due here next month, starts with a moody take on Screaming Jay Hawkins's I Put A Spell On You before slamming straight into Slave To Love, Ferry's solo masterpiece. With 20 tracks in 90 minutes, the evening is a fusillade of elegance. Tracks from his rewarding new album, Olympia, rub structured shoulders with a crunchy Avalon, a sultry Don't Stop The Dance and a brooding Make You Feel My Love. Adele's version may be the bigger hit, but Ferry's, all whispery seniority, is the finer interpretation.
If the arrangements are concise, the playing is still expansive, with many gleaming solos. There are almost two bands, each with a guitarist, a drummer, a pianist and a backing singer. If they could run to a second bass player, the symmetry would be complete.
There is a spring in Ferry's step and a spark in his voice, which has regained its stylised warmth. The hospital treatment clearly worked.

Post subject: Re: Stockholm Review
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:50 pm 

Great review, thanks for this. Makes me even more sorry I can't go to Edinburgh in Sept :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 pm 

You are in good company, Bob, because I can't make it to Edinburgh either. Life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes!

Let's hope that the speculation about the tour coming to Glasgow later in the year turns out to be more than just wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:14 pm 

I totally agree with the reviewer about BF's version of Make You Feel My Love outstripping Adele's hit; I assume it wasn't chosen as a single because she nipped in first, otherwise it was, in my humble opinion, an oversight by BF's team.

The next best song on Dylanesque was Tom Thumb, which also slipped under the radar at the time; good news that these two songs are the ones from that album to survive for the current tour. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:51 am 

While Adele's version is classy, our Bryan's is clearly superior. When he went into the studio to record this, the planets all lined up and a little piece of musical magic was created. I think it is one of his most beautiful recordings and deserves a lot more recognition than it gets.

Maybe his advisers did let him down here, but I am not sure that it would have made much difference. He is just not considered playlist material anymore, so his audience is always going to be badly restricted.

The result is that the public only get to hear output from "flavour of the month" artists like Adele, they pick up on her (admittedly good) version of the song, assume that this is as good as it gets and never realise what they are missing out on. I suspect that most of them don't know it is from the Dylan songbook either, but that's one for another forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:42 am 

I agree that although Adele's version is very good, in live versions I can't understand a word she says in the intro's, Bryan's is more complex and beautiful. I hate to say this but here in the US most people think Garth Brooks wrote it. What an awful version that one is in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:37 am 

Smudge wrote:
I totally agree with the reviewer about BF's version of Make You Feel My Love outstripping Adele's hit; I assume it wasn't chosen as a single because she nipped in first, otherwise it was, in my humble opinion, an oversight by BF's team.

The next best song on Dylanesque was Tom Thumb, which also slipped under the radar at the time; good news that these two songs are the ones from that album to survive for the current tour. :D

Adele didn't release it until November 2008 so Bryan had plenty of time to release a single version, I don't know why he didn't?!. He sang it at the Diana Memorial Concert in July 2007 which brought it to a lot of people's attention.

8-)