A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Olympia Tour Song Choices
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:33 pm 

roxydude wrote:
Windswept2 wrote:
UKRichard wrote:
Presumably the point of this tour is to belatedly promote the Olympia album - Bryan has referred to it as "touring Olympia". This being so, what do people make of the song choices? I can't recall any 'current' album featuring so insignificantly in any BF / Roxy tour - two songs! And yet BF is still wheeling out 'My Only Love' and 'Avalon' that have been done to death live. As a consequence, there is very little to distinguish this tour from much that has gone before, apart from the choice of venues.

What do others make of the set list?

Richard,
Last night, I saw the show at Vienna's Opera House and I think it's amongst his best ever.
The set list knits together superbly and plays to the band line up (no strings) and is supported by phenomenal visuals that transport you completely to 'Ferryland'.
With his huge back catalogue,the choice of songs is always going to be subjective but frankly, I'm quite happy to leave it to Geordie's favourite son - he certainly got it right last night. He was brilliant.
Don't miss it.
Regards,
Windswept

I was at the Vienna show too in the 2nd row. Thought the venue was amazing but the crowd poor. They only really got energised towards the end from "Love Is The Drug"and seemed to know very few of the songs. I'm personally disappointed at the choice of songs and the lack of change ups. What did Stockholm do right to get Reason Or Rhyme?

The concert in Vienna was over by 21.05 and my only real bonus was to grab a copy of the setlist from the stage.

For sheer enjoyment, Roxy in Glasgow in January beat Vienna hands down.

It's also been mostly cloudy and raining here in Vienna since my wife and I arrived :roll: Hopefully our next date with BF in Edinburgh at the Castle will be better.

One from Vienna.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:08 am 

More Vienna pics here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzfestwi ... 984375055/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:08 am 

Thanks for the link. I found the photos best viewed as a slideshow.

Nice snap of BF with both arms raised near the end; can't recall when he last looked so happy in a photo! :lol:

The photos of BF flanked by the dancers would have been talen during Let's Stick Together; if the Viennese patrons can remain resolutely seated during that song, maybe they should consider plugging the seats in to the mains electricity! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:29 pm 

Whow I've never seen a stage so close, there's only a small barrier between band and audience! Must be creepy for the players, so close... Seems to be a rather dull audience too - all sitting in their chairs, no waving, no dancing... What a difference with Bruges yesterday!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:44 pm 

ann laenen wrote:
Whow I've never seen a stage so close, there's only a small barrier between band and audience! Must be creepy for the players, so close... Seems to be a rather dull audience too - all sitting in their chairs, no waving, no dancing... What a difference with Bruges yesterday!!!

Re the closeness to the stage in Vienna. Yes, it was close and I thought of forum member herci on here (who sadly damaged his hearing at a show) because we were about 4 feet from the speaker stacks. Fortunately my wife had tissue which we plugged our ears with or perhaps we might have also suffered hearing damage. It was a great view though. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:15 am 

I'm afraid I'm rather disappointed by the song choices so far- only 3 songs from Olympia on "The Olympia tour" and 9 Roxy songs out of a total of 20 at Kew. I'm reminded by the wonderful resources on this site that I when I saw Bryan on the Dylanesque tour he performed 10 of the 11 tracks on that album and only 2 Roxy songs. This is meant to be a BF solo tour, three quarters of who make Roxy Roxy (if you see what I mean) aren't on this tour, why is nearly half the setlist Roxy songs?
Even if they have given up on promoting Olympia, Bryan has such a great back catalogue, why not perform more of his songs?