VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: In defence of the "In Your Mind" album
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:38 pm 

I seem to be in a minority in liking this album. I got into Roxy/Ferry in the mid-70s just as the 4-year Roxy hiatus was beginning and so the "In Your Mind" album was the first chance I had to buy an album of new original Ferry material rather than cover versions.

Even Bryan himself seems to have little time or fondness for it as an album. According to David Buckley's book Chris Thomas quit as producer during the sessions and so it seems its creation was somewhat, err, troubled. Yet in recent times one or two songs from it have returned to the set lists - "Tokyo Joe" on the Frantic tour and the great lost gem "Love Me Madly Again" on the Dylanesque tour. I only waited 30 years to hear that live.

Certainly the songs come across as more traditional in structure and less experimental than in the golden days of Roxy, but it has great brass and string arrangements and the Chanter Sisters (whatever happened to them ?) on backing vocals. All it needs is for "This Is Tomorrow" and the title track to be played in concert and perhaps its rehabilitation will be complete.

Post subject: Re: In defence of the "In Your Mind" album
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:30 am 

Hear hear. One of my faves too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:53 am 

Never been able to understand why In Your Mind hasn't received a better press; it has some great songs (e.g. Love Me Madly Again, All Night Operator and the title track) which hang together really well.

When it became clear that the current tour featured few songs from Olympia, I was hoping for a career retrospective and This Is Tomorrow (probably best if we avoid acronyms on this occasion... ;) ) was high on my wish list of songs which have rarely been played live.

Oh, well; maybe one day...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm 

It is the greatest Roxy album never made. I heard, away back after the album was released, it caused financial problems within the band and that, it was a Roxy album all along. It basically is, bar Andy. In Your Mind, the title track, is Roxy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 am 

Ive always liked In Your Mind, especially the last three tracks of Side 2 and Love Me Madly once the strings get out of the way. I think IYM the song features some of BF's most evocative lyrics, the intro to Rock of Ages is superb, and Party Doll is definitely one of the great lost classics in the BF catalog. This Time Tomorrow and Operator never did much for me and Tokyo Joe is borderline OK - but I do think the line "Bird and Diz puttin' on the moan" is quite memorable (I'm a big Charlie Parker fan)

Sway me, trade me, your philosophy,
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:31 pm 

Can it really be true that this is not highly regarded by RM/BF devotees? If so, then I just don't get it. In fact, it vies with The Bride Stripped Bare for the accolade of being my favourite BF album.

It has 4 great tracks (i.e. This Is Tomorrow, Love Me Madly Again, Rock of Ages, and In Your Mind), 3 "good to very good" tracks and Tokyo Joe - which is good in sections but makes me squirm a little when the oriental touches come in. Funny though, I don't remember feeling that way about TJ when it first came out - it just seems to have crept in there somehow. It sort of triggers an association with the shocking "Japanese Boy" - funny how the mind works sometimes !

I knew that BF didn't value this album much but I assumed that this was more to do with the mainstream tendencies than any "trouble at mill" scenario during its creation. Mr Rifff makes a similar point about the seemingly disowned "All I Want Is You" in the recent string on this song - so maybe Bryan just doesn't take so much pride in this type of output. If so, I think he underestimates what he has achieved with these offerings. He should be able to take satisfaction from doing stuff better than others as well as doing something different from others. AIWIY is a cracking single and IYM is a belter of an album.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:48 pm 

I'm fairly certain that Chris Thomas wasn't available to finish the album due to it and the original autumn tour for IYM in 1976 being postponed due to Mr.Ferry contracting glandular fever.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm 

Love the album and the strings on LMM are devine. Bryan toured this album in Australia and broke box office sales for venues in Sydney and Melbourne at the time. The brass and string arrangements are quite possibly the best that have featured on a RM/BF effort. Hugely underrated.