VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: edinburgh 3rd september
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:35 pm 

yeah, sounds good.
lets just meet at 4pm at the entrance and then search for a nice pub.
come whoever wants to ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:23 pm 

Good plan Steve!
How do we recognize you? 8-) Are you wearing a dark woolen scarf like Bryan :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:27 pm 

This is the nearest pub to the Castle entrance

http://www.ensignewart.demon.co.uk/

To be honest though, you'll likely be having to slowly move up the Johnston Terrace hill to get into the Castle rather than spending time in the pub. Afterwards though, there are plenty pubs nearby.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:29 pm 

yeah, i will ;)
black leather jacket and dark long scarf.
but i am 40 years younger than bryan :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:37 pm 

roxydude wrote:

To be honest though, you'll likely be having to slowly move up the Johnston Terrace hill to get into the Castle rather than spending time in the pub. Afterwards though, there are plenty pubs nearby.

Yes, I would advise not too much drinking before you go, leave it till afterwards. Even if the weather is kind there can be the wind chill factor and I'm not sure how good the toilet facilities will be, expect long queues I would imagine! It does take some time to get in and out so don't be tempted to leave it too late to get up there. All pubs in the area will be really busy with tourists and people going to the concert so bear that in mind.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:43 pm 

Thanks for the advise Roxy and Roxydude! :)

roxydude wrote:

So, shall we meet afterwards in this pub? :?: Or are there any other pubs in town? Stupid question :D , but I guess this one will be crowded afterwards, being nearby the Castle.

Maybe we are in the area of that pub around 4pm for a quick bite (and not a drink! ;) ) . We'll see! It's indeed better to go into the Castle in time!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:47 pm 

okay, afterwards...if you dont mind!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:18 pm 

Deacon Brodies is a great pub and very close.

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/deaconb ... edinburgh/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:50 pm 

If you haven't been to Edinburgh before then you owe it to yourself to check it out. It is a truly charismatic city. If you have only a few hours available before heading to the concert then I would suggest prioritising the Old Town. This is the original Edinburgh from Medieval times and is where the castle and the Royal Mile are to be found. This area is full of history as well as good pubs and eateries - so you can pop into the odd hostelry for a quick one in between exploring the nooks and crannies.

It is a compact city and nothing is far away. The New Town just behind Princes Street is an architectural gem. It dates back to the 18th century and is also worth a visit if you have time. The shopping up there is also pretty good should you have cash to splash!

If you get lost then you can always hop on to a tram - these are Edinburgh's pride and joy. :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, this is a wee joke at the expense of the locals. If you see a tram moving around then you have definitely been in one pub too many

Hope you enjoy your visit to Scotland ! Mile failte !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:51 am 

Again many thanks for all the information Avondale and Roxydude!

I have been in Edinburgh once, but that was ca 17 years ago and I was on a cycling holiday (well "I am Dutch, so I cycle" :D ) and staying on a campsite near the city. I remembered I visited the Castle and some monuments on a hill (? :oops: I don't remember anymore). What I do remember was the great atmosphere and indeed the historic Old Town and that I wanted to come back sometime and see some more! Well being an archaeologist/museologist and interested in history and also a longtime fan of our Bryan, I can only predict it will be a splendid two day visit to Edinburgh! :)

So Steve and others: shall we meet afterwards in Deacon Broadies on 435 Lawn Market :?: When its rainy and cold I will wear a lightblue coat and I am with a friend (I don't know the colour or her coat :) ).
We will look out for a 25 year old Bryan with a black leather jacket and a dark long scarf :D ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next