VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: BF in Iceland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:12 am 

I hear that to get to the Iceland gig he'll be taking a newly built ocean liner on its maiden voyage to Reykjavik. Word on the street is that the ship's captain will go at top-speed the whole way and will not care about the possibility of icebergs entering the shipping lane. Oh it will be exciting as the icy brine sprays off of Bryan and his band as thye practice on the forecastle. And then Bryan will fall in love from a poor girl in steerage and they will have a romantic interlude on the bow before she is whisked away, charged with stealing jewelry from the costume of one of BF's dancers. And then, as BF is serenading the First Class passengers with Song of the Siren, a huge gash will be torn on the hull of the unsinkable ship and BF will work assiduously to find a place in a life boat for his new girl friend. But she won't agree to a non-disclosure agreement so he reluctantly watches her slip into the sea as he vows: "I'll write a song about you!" And with her last words she pleads: "Promise me you'll put it on the new Roxy album and I will die happy!"

Post subject: Re: BF in Iceland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 am 

Good story, but where's the wife & the matching parkas?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 pm 

She's flew in on a private jet and is lounging in a geyser fed hot tub when she gets news of the sinking ship. She is unperturbed as she knows Bryan will some how, some way get a seat in a lifeboat because in was stipulated in a rider to the concert contract. Later that night she and Bjork will have a romantic dinner before she breaks it off -- shouting "I love my Bryan and all the parkas he brings to me!"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:07 pm 

Oh! Thar she blows! :lol: Thanks!

Poor Bjork, I feel bad for her. Good thing the wife's a sentimental fool and just can't let go of Bryan's still beating heart, be it in furs or blue jeans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:43 am 

Amazing what passes for humour in these parts! :?

On a more serious note, is anyone else here planning to be at the Reykjavik gig? Much to my surprise, Mrs Smudge was up for a flying visit, so we'll be there from Sunday morning (the day of the gig) until Tuesday morning. It's a holiday weekend in many parts of Europe, so we must hope that there are some Icelandic attractions still open to us; if anyone knows the city and has any tourist recommendations, I'd be happy to hear from them.

As far as I could tell from the Harpa website, tickets for the 1,800 capacity hall seemed to be selling fast. There were a few cheap ones (£35 equivalent) left in the furthest balcony; the next price (£50) had only scattered single seats left; there were a few more at £70, but they were far inferior to the top price (£85) seats.

Mrs Smudge doesn't get to many gigs, so told me to hang the expense and book seats in the front row; it has seldom been so easy to utter the words "yes, dear"! :lol:

Will report back at the end of May, unless somebody else beats me to it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:55 pm 

Hammer of the gods! Going to the land of the ice & snow?
Where the hot springs blow?

Bring your furs & blue jeans! Maybe you'll run into an Eskimo,
don't think there'll be any chinese there!

Oh! My stomach hurts! Nurse! Help me! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:03 am 

Smudge: All the BF in Iceland schtick would quickly go out the window if BF got cracking on the Roxy Anniversary albums or the 1011 Tour CD! Don't blame me! It's all BF's fault!!

Perhaps the Iceland gigs means he'll be performing with the Big Band (as opposed to the Corporate/Playback Band) at a series of gigs this summer. Once he gets the band members committed under contract it makes sense to do more than a couple of shows. Not necessarily a full-blown tour, but maybe 12-15 shows spread out from June through the end of the summer... Just a possibility...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:23 pm 

Smudge wrote:
Amazing what passes for humour in these parts! :?

On a more serious note, is anyone else here planning to be at the Reykjavik gig? Much to my surprise, Mrs Smudge was up for a flying visit, so we'll be there from Sunday morning (the day of the gig) until Tuesday morning. It's a holiday weekend in many parts of Europe, so we must hope that there are some Icelandic attractions still open to us; if anyone knows the city and has any tourist recommendations, I'd be happy to hear from them.

As far as I could tell from the Harpa website, tickets for the 1,800 capacity hall seemed to be selling fast. There were a few cheap ones (£35 equivalent) left in the furthest balcony; the next price (£50) had only scattered single seats left; there were a few more at £70, but they were far inferior to the top price (£85) seats.

Mrs Smudge doesn't get to many gigs, so told me to hang the expense and book seats in the front row; it has seldom been so easy to utter the words "yes, dear"! :lol:

Will report back at the end of May, unless somebody else beats me to it.

Cher Monsieur Smudge,
Madame Smudge is clearly a lady of quality. You will love Iceland, it is beautiful and very interesting. I used to go there a lot in my previous life. If you aren't already booked up - or even if you are - try and stay at "Hotel Borg". It's a really cool ArtDeco hotel and quite a social hub. It wouldn't surprise me if our hero won't be camping out there.
There are lots of great restaurants with the best sea food on earth. The landscape is amazing and make sure you do the hot springs, a trekk on an Icelandic pony, a helicopter ride around the island and, of course, the Ferry concert.
They also have some of the most beautiful women in the world. But, that won't be bothering you because you have Madame Smudge.
Good luck and report back. I bet you'll have a blast. Meanwhile, I'll just continue to slog away on this fantasy album.
Regards, Windswept

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:36 am 

Looking forward to Reykjavik and grateful to Windswept2 for the tourist tips. We're only there for barely two days and it's a holiday weekend in Iceland (as it would have been in the UK, had it not been Diamond Jubilee year), so it'll probably just be a city tour and the hot springs to fill the time after the Sunday gig (Mrs S having drawn the line at my suggestion that we could see Monday's show too...).

Sadly, the Hotel Borg is beyond our pockets (over £200 per night), but we might see if we can afford drinks in their bar, as the hotel itself looks very stylish. We've found a good standard hotel barely ten minutes walk from Harpa, so all good on that score.

Noticed that BF's website has some info on the band for these gigs, i.e. Ollie & Spedding in tandem again, Paul Turner (in lieu of Jeremy Meehan, who I thought was pretty sound) on bass & Cherisse Osei* on percussion, as well as TGPT. No mention of Jorja, nor Colin Good, but maybe the former will be there, as I've no doubt that the latter will be...

(*CO must have made a big impression on BF for him to include a 4 min Youtube clip of one of her drum solos in his website...)

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:41 pm 

Sounds like a nice weekend in the offing. I hope you get a chance to take a nice hot steam bath!

CO does seem to have caught BF's eye Having her teamed with TGPT could prove interesting. I'm thinking that a track like Limbo could get an intense treatment if the two of them getting to pounding the skins. Far more engaging then having Tara F on another set of drums...