VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Phil in the press
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:24 pm 

These have been widely posted elsewhere, but I can't remember if that has included VRM...

Can be summarised as door not slammed shut on more Roxy stuff:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... rnalSearch

and Phil still owed sampling money by millionaire rappers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... rnalSearch

Post subject: Re: Phil in the press
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:12 pm 

Interesting that Phil reckons he is owed a 6 figure sum in royalties for the sample of 'K-Scope' and that it is more than he has earned from Roxy in the last 15 years.

I checked and there are 3 other samples used and 9 other people with writing credits on 'No Church in the Wild'. I wonder if Phil is aware of this?

Two of the samples are of James Brown songs & one of 'Spooky Tooth', who I also think were on the Island label going back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:59 pm 

The Independent:
"Manzanera also said that the group had made some new material together eight years ago but they decided not to release it as it wasn’t up to the standards of their final ground-breaking album Avalon, released in 1982.
“We tried to do an album about eight years ago and the stuff is still here [in the recording studio]. It’s not earth-shattering, so thank God we didn’t release it. Its sub-standard."

He used to say it was fantastic, at least some of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 am 

Newspaper quotes are not always "reliable" - or at least the person being quoted oft times later says that something got garbled when it made its way into print.

So who knows what "sub-standard" might be referring to. But perhaps it is a subtle dig at the quality of the BF's vocals. I find it hard to believe that the the instrumental sound and the overall production quality fell short of what PM created for 6PM. So what's left to be "sub-standard?" Nothing but the vocals and the quality of the song writing/lyrics - both of which BF relied upon BF's input.

On another point, why is PM so blase about the fact that he hasn't gotten his "six-figure" payment for his contribution to Church/Wild. It's been some FOUR YEARS since Roc A Fella productions sampled K-Scope. Why the delay? And why is he so confident that the delay won't go on for another 4 years (or more). This just sounds weird and doesn't make sense. PM does indeed need a manager!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am 

Found an online Classic Rock article in which Phil discusses half a dozen of his favourite Manzanera-related albums.

Hopefully this link will work: http://classicrock.teamrock.com/feature ... era-albums