VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Diamond Head
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:08 pm 

Listening to this for the first time in what must be decades. Wow!
What a creative time it was - as ever, Eno is all over it. Well almost. It’s Manzanera’s record of course and he is all over it.
Thompson is credited with drums and extra drums.
How fortunate we have all been.
I wish I could find my copy of In Search of Eddie Riff now.

Post subject: Re: Diamond Head
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 am 

I remember being so enthusiastic about the Diamond Head LP, and playing/forcing it upon unwilling listeners. One person told me it was terrible (her tastes ran to James Taylor and Fleetwood Mac). Obviously, it was too "new" for her to handle.

As far as the Eddie Riff, I plunked down serious coinage for the cd a few years ago (having been late to the cd reissue party). The US and UK LPs are different (slightly). I love it, and always wished that AM would (conceptually) revisit the persona/project. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 am 

The US and UK LPs are different (slightly).

There are actually two different UK versions of the Eddie Riff LP; the original Island version had two rather forgettable vocal tracks in Summer Sun & Four Legged Friend. These were replaced in the second issue (which opened with the Wild Weekend single), which barely pre-dated the switch from Island to Polydor and almost all the copies you'll see of the reissue will be Polydor ones.

As for Diamond Head, it is an overlooked classic which comfortably stands the test of time; every Roxy home should have a copy! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm 

Re Summer Sun on AM's Eddie Riff album, I must humbly disagree that it is "forgettable." Yes, Andy does not have a "radio friendly" voice, but SS transcends that limitation and offers a very moving lament. SS is great IMHO!

The cd version of Eddie Riff released a few years back includes all the tracks that were included in the two versions of the album, and it also includes three live tracks recorded by the BBC when the album was first being promoted. These live tracks are really good!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:19 am 

Diamond Head was one of the first Roxy related records I bought, due more to John Wetton's participation and Eno who I was just getting to know having just bought Evening Star and Another Green World.

Diamond Head is a brilliant record. I find it funny how many Eno fans know Peru and Miss Shapiro and yet don't own this. It's Manzanera's best.