VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: QUEEN ELIZABETH HALL 26/XI/18
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:07 am 

STUNNING!

Can honestly say that if I never saw another gig again I'd be quite happy.

The joy of hearing orchestral versions of the likes of Out Of The Blue, More Than This, Sentimental Fool, IEDHAH, Love Is The Drug et al. The audience lapped it up.

Then the 3Psalms themselves, astonishing live, totally uplifting.

To finish? What else but Tara with Phil Manzanera taking the counter solos to Andy's sublime tune.

To see Andy and Phil together on stage, playing seamlessly and so happy was a joy.

Thank you Andy, this night will live with me forever more.

Post subject: Re: QUEEN ELIZABETH HALL 26/XI/18
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm 

Thanks for the update SM. Sounds like it was a great night!

Long Live Andy Mackay!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:19 pm 

Yes I agree with you Stabbs an amazing night of music.

The highlight for me was the encore Tara and to see Andy give a knowing smile to Phil. My friend commented how it is great to see two bandmates who obviously have such a strong connection and not just musically.

I'm sorry we only met up very briefly before the show, although it was good to catch up with Smudge again and to speak to Miranda who I first met over 8 years ago now!

The album is also a grower too and I find new things each listen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:03 pm 

Agree wholeheartedly with Stabbs . I was sat on row C and right in front of the conductor. What a performance ! The arrangements were so fresh and inventive. Song for Europe is my all time Roxy favourite song anyway and as a percussionist , it was great to hear the timpani being played both in that and in Every Dream Home. Sentimental Fool was another standout and well Tara was such an emotional encore . As I was so close, I could see Phil smiling at Andy : it was quite obvious that they have a special friendship.

I really enjoyed the 3 Psalms . If I am going to be slightly critical , I thought that the middle one, Psalm 130 , was quite repetitive however, Praise, was indeed that . Truly uplifting and Harry Day- Lewis had a tremendous voice.

I also was so pleased to finally meet Andy after 45 years ! I have met all the other members of Roxy many times, but he somehow had eluded me ! Andy Mackay was the reason that I started to follow Roxy anyway as I thought an oboeist/saxophonist in a rock band was something special . It was a wonderful evening and as it was filmed, who knows ? Maybe there will be a DVD one day .

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:51 pm 

I can only echo the previous comments of other members who attended this magical evening.

I am so pleased I made trip to London to see Andy Mackay & friends perform The Roxymphony and 3Psalms. It was quite stunning and a real pleasure to be there in the room to hear it all performed live. I met Andy at the meet & greet where he signed both my items and I shook his hand to say thank you and wish him good luck. I was seated right in front of Phil M and when the lights went down and they began my heart was racing just as it had done at the first Glasgow show on the 2001 reunion tour. When ASFE started I just welled up to the point where my eyes were so full of tears I couldn't see. I tried to blink them away but there was too much so they just ran down my face for the rest of the song. It was such a beautiful arrangement and watching Phil up close I could see how much he was enjoying it and what it meant to him. Andy was at the other side of the stage so I couldn't see him so close up but could see how much it meant so much to him also. I had to pull myself together as there was a whole show to get through! The entire show was a triumph and 3Psalms also fantastic to hear live. Lucy Wilkins, the orchestra and the choir were just fabulous.

What adds to the enjoyment of such an occasion is to meet up with the usual suspects and also to meet some for the first time......Hello Stabbs!

All those moments.....lost in wonder...

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:54 pm 

Hello 'Roxy' lovely to meet you too.

For me, the eye watering, throat tightener was 'Tara, will live with me forever!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:39 pm 

It was indeed a stunning gig and way beyond my expectations. One of my favourite all time concerts. Despite me not being able to benefit from my VIP ticket purchase (the last minute change to meet and greet timing meant that Mrs Roxysiren and I missed it and any merchandise goodies completely) I thoroughly enjoyed a truly emotional, musically brilliant concert. Literally brought tears to me eyes. Can’t wait to see some video and relive it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:57 pm 

Sounds like a great show, was hoping to see a few video clips pop up on Youtube by now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm 

cpl5938 wrote:
Sounds like a great show, was hoping to see a few video clips pop up on Youtube by now.

The venue and setup made you feel like videoing would be inappropriate for one thing, and another, security stopped people from videoing. There may be the odd one kicking around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:32 pm 

Outstanding show. It really blew me away. Had great seats front and centre. I knew Phil was going to be there, but what a bonus to have Lucy Wilkins. Andy said she did the strings arrangement - and you could tell!

I was very impressed with the whole thing, a much better attempt at orchestrating Roxy songs than Bryan himself has achieved I think. :o It worked extremely well. I couldn't help but hear Bryan's voice in my head for parts of it though.

As for the actual 3Psalms. Not particularly my thing and I wasn't impressed with the vocalist, but that aside the music was great.

Not sure about the whispering choir vocals on a couple of the songs either, but the music blew me away.