VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SOHO VILLAGE FESTIVAL 5/IX/21
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:30 am 

And so, forever in search of Eddie Rifff, the usual intrepid crew of Jocelyn + other Siren, Mr & Mrs Smudge, Princess Alison, yours truly (and many others) made their way to St. Anne's in Dean Street for the second (?) outing of the Soho All Stars.

The Emperor Himself, son Percy on drums, Guy Pratt on bass, et al, produced the following forty-five minute set:

Sunny Afternoon
Comanche (by the Revels, think Wild Weekend on a surf board)
Get It On
Ashes To Ashes
Whiter Shade Of Pale (King Curtis instrumental version)
More Than This
Remake/Remodel
Love Is The Drug
Virginia Plain
Perfect Day

WOW!!! What a treat :D

Surrounded by seasoned musicians, our hero just showed us what we have craved in recent years. Clear, powerful, soulful and raunchy when required, Andy was on the top of his game. Left hand little finger notwithstanding, this man was on fire, along with the band bringing the whole audience to a rousing singalong climax.

Amiable and approachable as ever, Andy and Lucinda thanked those they knew for their support most generously.

Always a thrill to see my hero play, this exceeded my expectations, and some!!!

(With luck, photos should be forthcoming asap)

Last edited by Stabbs MacKenzie on Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SOHO VILLAGE FESTIVAL 5/IX/21
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:16 pm 

I can only echo Stabbs' comments; Andy's playing was more robust than anticipated, especially on Comanche and Re-Make/Re-Model. The old lion can still muster an impressive roar!

He played alto, soprano and what we assumed to be a EWI (electronic wind instrument); it looked rather like a spare part for a cordless vacuum cleaner and was capable of a range of saxophone sounds from soprano to baritone.

Although I live within half an hour of the venue, I was blissfully unaware of this event until late on Friday evening, when I was alerted to it by a friend in Japan! I rather think our own emperor enjoys flying under the radar these days...

Andy was kind enough to sign a photo and a small promo poster for me afterwards; the latter was for Resolving Contradictions and he volunteered that it is still his intention to re-release that album and Eddie Riff on CD.

He nimbly dodged around my comment that his reappearance on stage would send into a frenzy those hoping for a Roxy 50th anniversary reunion gig, however! ;) We'll just have to wait and see, but I think it might be unwise to hold our collective breath...

As requested by Stabbs, I've attached some iPhone pictures; whether fellow VRM member Bobby Moncur can be persuaded to share a video clip or two remains to be seen... :)

Attachments:
IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5589.jpg [ 125.92 KiB | Viewed 90694 times ]
IMG_5585.jpg
IMG_5585.jpg [ 151.54 KiB | Viewed 90694 times ]
IMG_5579.jpg
IMG_5579.jpg [ 143.12 KiB | Viewed 90694 times ]

Last edited by Smudge on Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SOHO VILLAGE FESTIVAL 5/IV/21
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:04 pm 

Fabulous account and pictures guys. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:41 pm 

Great info and pictures. . Thank you !!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:18 am 

As the lads said, a fantastic day out at the Soho Village Fete a couple of weeks ago. Andy was on top form despite a completely inactive left little finger. I think he explained when the Roxymphony tour was cancelled, that the little finger covers the lower end of the scale (forgive me musos, for I know not what I'm talking about), so I'm guessing if you move everything up a bit, you don't need that finger as much??? Ironic, that now Andy has to play in a higher key and Ferry needs to drop everything down.
I'll post a few pics and then attempt to get my videos uploaded, but don't hold your collective breath, the files are enormous and I'm a techno numpty, but I'll give it a whirl. Btw, the electronic Dyson attachment is a programmable Roland Areophone (I am reliably informed by one Mr Sullivan.)
Interesting trivia fact, the set list was made up from tracks all recorded within a square mile of St Anne's Gardens in Soho - Trident is literally round the corner and Command is just down the road. Right, photos ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:32 am 

Can't even upload the photos! Apparently they're too large, even though I've resized them to the smallest format. Not a hope in hell of getting the videos up. So sorry. Might try via someone else who knows what they're doing later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:10 pm 

I won't ever claim to know what I'm doing, but here (hopefully) are Bobby Moncur's photos... :D

Attachments:
AM3.jpg
AM3.jpg [ 125.85 KiB | Viewed 89897 times ]
AM2.jpg
AM2.jpg [ 52.63 KiB | Viewed 89897 times ]
AM1.jpg
AM1.jpg [ 44.89 KiB | Viewed 89897 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:12 pm 

Photo attachments appear to be restricted to three per post, so here, as a postscript, is Bobby Moncur's snap of Guy Pratt...

Attachments:
GP.jpg
GP.jpg [ 39.07 KiB | Viewed 89897 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:30 am 

Thanks for posting for me Smudge. Much appreciated.