VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Really cool '79 live recording
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:42 pm 

Hi all,

I just uploaded one of my all time fav live recordings to my dropbox, if you like to download it PM me, I'll send you the link. Please don't be afraid, I promise I won't bite. It's just that I'm a little shy when it comes to uploading material of which I'm not the copyright owner, which is why I don't want to display the link to the general public.

It's a live recording of the 1979 Manifesto tour that was broadcasted on a German radio station (probably NDR 2) in 1981 (or so).

I also don't know where the show was recorded, I think it was probably in Hamburg.

Unfortunately I missed the first minute of Manifesto. I remember I was sitting in our living room (I was 13) when my older brother came in and said "Hey, don't you like Roxy Music? They're playing a concert on the radio". I ran into my room, turned the radio on, threw the first best audio tape I could find into the cassette deck and pushed the record button. The recording starts with BF singing "...the corner/That takes you by surprise". Also, unfortunately, during "Dreamhome" the tape was full and I had to flip it, but still I think despite of its obvious flaws this recording is highly interesting for Roxologists.

The songs are:

Manifesto
Trash
Out of the Blue
Still Falls the Rain
Mother of Pearl
Ain't that so
In Every Dream Home A Heartache (in two parts)
Casanova
Love is the Drug
Re-make/Re-model
Editions of You

Out of the Blue and Mother of Pearl belong to my favourites. And I especially LOVE the version of "Still Falls The Rain" which Bryan Ferry sings just perfectly here (better than during the Manchester show where his voice sounded a bit hoarse during the higher parts of the song).

I don't know every available bootleg from the Manifesto tour on the market, but I do know the common suspects, and for me this is really the best show of them all. Of course the sound of my recording is not ideal - it's a more than thirty year old tape recording from the radio with a missing beginning of Manifesto and an interruption during Dreamhome :oops: - but during this show Roxy were really at their best.

I hope that someday the recording of this show will arise in perfect sound quality from the archives of either Roxy Music or the NDR radio station. It would really deserve a wider distribution. Until then my humble digitised audio tape is all I can offer. Or maybe somebody comes up with a better recording?

PM me and I'll send you the link, you don't need to register at dropbox, just klick the link and download the zip file, that's all.

Greetings,

Lonely Dreamer

Post subject: Re: Really cool '79 live recording
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:10 pm 

I've just been told that it's a BBC recording from London, 1979-05-18, Hammersmith Odeon.

Apologies if I have raised false hopes. But it is a killer concert 8-)

Now the next question is, of course, where can I get a complete recording of this show, preferably in perfect sound quality? My first attempts to ask auntie google have not been successful by now...

P.S.: in case anybody is still interested in my humble tape recording, I'm just uploading it in flac format.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:26 pm 

This show did have an "official bootleg" release on CD, pictured below.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 pm 

Forget that SGRS CD, which is in no way official.

I made a reconstruction of the Hammersmith '79 show some years ago, pieced together from several FM sources. My fellow Roxy collector, sww1975, undertook a similar project. We disagree on the correct order of the encores, but otherwise his reconstruction is excellent. You can download it here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=319563

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 pm 

I didn't mean an official Roxy release but I did buy my copy in HMV :?

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 am 

Roxy wrote:

I believe you, but I'm still surprised by that. SGRS was an Italian bootleg label that put out dozens of similar CDs, by a host of different artists, during the early '90s. These were not officially licenced product in the way the Easy Action label manages to do business. I don't recall HMV stocking the SGRS series at all, so your Roxy CD must have been a rogue release that somehow found its way onto a legit distributor's list. It happened from time to time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:22 am 

Peanut wrote:
Roxy wrote:

I believe you, but I'm still surprised by that. SGRS was an Italian bootleg label that put out dozens of similar CDs, by a host of different artists, during the early '90s. These were not officially licenced product in the way the Easy Action label manages to do business. I don't recall HMV stocking the SGRS series at all, so your Roxy CD must have been a rogue release that somehow found its way onto a legit distributor's list. It happened from time to time.

You obviously know how these things work but they were purchased in HMV. I also have the "Super Golden Radio Show No.33" and "A Song for Europe" , also purchased in my local HMV. I can't remember when exactly I bought them, long before the days of the internet and bootleg sites, maybe mid 90's.

8-)

PS, those SGRS 79 scans I posted are not actually of my copy, I just pulled them quickly from the internet. I notice that some of the print looks like it has been blacked out and replaced which is a bit odd. :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am 

Roxy wrote:
You obviously know how these things work ....

I have a friend who owned a couple of record shops in the early '90s.

Until EU copyright law was standardised, live recordings over 20 years old were in the public domain in Italy. So, releases such as the SGRS of Hammersmith '79 were legal to sell in Italy. However, they were not officially licensed from the copyright holder -- in this case the BBC -- and no mechanical royalties were paid to the artists. In other words, they were bootlegs, and they were sold as such all across Europe, including the UK. The most common place to find such releases was at record fairs and small, independent record shops, but they would occasionally find their way into larger chains as "imports".

There was one particular UK-based distributor in the early '90s who was quite open about supplying bootleg CDs as "imports". Store managers at the likes of HMV had a good deal more leeway then than they do now about what they could order in. If someone at your local HMV was a Roxy fan, or thought that such releases might sell well in your area, they may take a risk on a few dodgy titles. As I say, it was common practice, but I never saw SGRS discs in my local chain stores, only ever at record fairs.

Regardless of all that, the SGRS CD is not the best version of this show in circulation. There are several other bootleg CDs, but none are complete. The best versions are the reconstructions pieced together by me and sww1975, which contain 14 songs, as opposed to 12 on the SGRS CD.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:08 am 

Thanks for that info Peanut, it is interesting to hear how these things work.

Perhaps the manager knew they would sell in that particular store which was the main HMV store in Edinburgh. I never saw those kind of releases in any of the other record shops I used to shop in at the time. I bought the many various "Concerto" releases there too and thought they all came under the same sort of category and not the same as the iffy ones doing the round at records fairs.

8-)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:42 pm 

Peanut wrote:
Forget that SGRS CD, which is in no way official.

I made a reconstruction of the Hammersmith '79 show some years ago, pieced together from several FM sources. My fellow Roxy collector, sww1975, undertook a similar project. We disagree on the correct order of the encores, but otherwise his reconstruction is excellent. You can download it here:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=319563

Many thanks for pointing us in the direction of this download - this is a superb recording. :D