VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Avonmore Credits
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:17 pm 

I love liner notes and a big thanks to Ferry and his team for such complete and informative ones. I also like the album - its a grower

A good examination reveals a few puzzles about a good number of tracks.

1. The presence of David Williams, who sadly passed in early in 2009 would indicate that the basic tracks for "Loop De Li", "Midnight Train" and "One Night Stand" all originate from before this time. I knew about the history of the first two but not the latter.

2. The basic tracks for "Lost" - drums, bass, keys and guitar are the originals from the Avalon sessions - the presence of Hubbard, Jason and Newmark would seem to back this up.

3. Interesting and good to see Chris "Sunset" Lawrence on double bass on "Send in the Clowns"

I also think this is Ferry's best solo work for many a year

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Avonmore Credits
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:23 am 

As with every album he's ever done it has it own subtle mood.

Having said that, mix it into a playlist with some old Roxy Music sounds, and enjoy both.

I've also noticed that some Avonmore tracks easily segue into songs from Mamouna.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:53 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:
I've also noticed that some Avonmore tracks easily segue into songs from Mamouna.

I couldn`t agree more. It leans heavily on Mamouna. I`m thinking of those abstract fluorishes you can hear in songs like "One Night Stand", "A Special Kind of Guy" and "Midnight Train". The last one falls easily into the pattern established on "Olympia", where you`ve got a less intense song following after the first track which is the single, namely "Alphaville" right after "You Can Dance".

I could add Loop De Li

Last edited by le freak on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:48 pm 

Hi Richard

Do you have definite proof 'Lost' is from the 'Avalon' sessions as the musicians you quote are also on 'F+B' and 'B+G'? If the track is from either of the two RM sessions, then can we deduce that Manzanera and Mackay's contributions have been removed and Ferry has control over RM songs including the 2005 sessions?

On 'Avonmore', Ferry has not used Manzanera, Mackay nor Eno but he did on 'Olympia'. In fact, he has gone to great lengths to distance himself from RM by employing many guitarists and saxophonists; and even an oboist! I suppose this could be why Manzanera said recently that RM were finished. Also, it stops journalists asking about RM reunions when Ferry is trying to promote his new album.

Just my personal thoughts with no evidence to substantiate!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:11 pm 

Graham James wrote:
Hi Richard

Do you have definite proof 'Lost' is from the 'Avalon' sessions as the musicians you quote are also on 'F+B' and 'B+G'? If the track is from either of the two RM sessions, then can we deduce that Manzanera and Mackay's contributions have been removed and Ferry has control over RM songs including the 2005 sessions?

On 'Avonmore', Ferry has not used Manzanera, Mackay nor Eno but he did on 'Olympia'. In fact, he has gone to great lengths to distance himself from RM by employing many guitarists and saxophonists; and even an oboist! I suppose this could be why Manzanera said recently that RM were finished. Also, it stops journalists asking about RM reunions when Ferry is trying to promote his new album.

Just my personal thoughts with no evidence to substantiate!

I think I saw that Lost was from the Avalon period on one of the threads here - it certainly sounds like an Avalon piece and was probably unfinished.

It might be either PM and AM's contribution were not used or they never got round to adding their parts at the time.

My own opinion is that BF learnt the lessons of the 'Reunion' Olympia press coverage and wanted to make a lean break from using Roxy musicians - I think the last time that happened was on B&G and BN but my memory might be going. I think they appeared on everything since BN apart from the Jazz Age thing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:36 pm 

Among the more intriguing credits on the Avonmore alum are Tara and Isaac Ferry being listed as "Executive Producers." That's interesting. In truth BF himself is the real executive producer of the album (NOTHING transpired without his approval) but I can only presume he wanted to give his sons a bit of a boost....

So this got me thinking as to what the 1974 photo on the cover is meant to represent. It is a stand-in for Tara and Isaac, who are now essentially the age that BF was back in '74. It's a Family Affair.

Hmmm. Family Affair. Perhaps that would be a good tune for BF to cover...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:14 am 

Quote:
So this got me thinking as to what the 1974 photo on the cover is meant to represent. It is a stand-in for Tara and Isaac, who are now essentially the age that BF was back in '74. It's a Family Affair.

I tried but I could not find a way.................to understand your statement DCJ :?

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:52 am 

The 1974 photo doesn't represent the BF that is performing on the album Avonmore. It presents BF at a time when he was the same age that his two sons-the erstwhile "executive producers" of Avonmore-are now. The hoped=for connection between his sons and his legacy is what the photo brings to the fore. Past, present, and future intertwine as a father seeks to pass the torch to his sons.

What you are, I once was...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:18 pm 

Looking at these credits.. It's shocking to see the depth of the scraping of this barrel's bottom ..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:01 pm 

David Williams on three tracks. That`s were BF`s voice sounds best. This is how he does these days. Whenever there`s still any tracks left on the shelf, you bet sure we are in for a new solo album.