VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pink Floyd`s The Endless River after one listen
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 pm 

Forget all you thought you knew about Pink Floyd. This is something else. Even the comparision with the post Syd, pre "Dark Side" era, won`t fit. As soon as you get accustomed to this, you can start to apreciate it. It`s very abstract, like jazz is abstract. Besides, to say it`s "From the Division Bell`s cutting floor" is very to the point. The album`s total time considered, there`s almost not a hook or a riff. Even a "difficult" album like "Animals" contains a lot of sweets to suck on compared to this album. That said, it`s not boring. I find it quite intriguing. It has it`s sound from The Division Bell. There is a lot of sounds to dive into. The album requires repeated listening.

Post subject: Re: Pink Floyd`s The Endless River after one listen
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:28 am 

Well, some afterthoughts, really. The references soon came creeping in. Obviously, the song "It`s What We Do" leans heavily on "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from the "Wish You Were Here" album. "Unsung" reminds me of the really early stuff. It could have been the live songs from Ummagumma, or even the unissued and brilliant 15? minutes piece called "Embryo". I wished they had developed "Anisina" into a real song with lyrics. It could have been a great, great anthem. "On Noodle Street", -ah, it`s so welcome! It could have been a backing track for a song by Steely Dan. Real 70s stuff. "Allons y (1)" and "(2)", -ah, why couldn`t this just be a long and lovely blues jam just like they did in the "long hair, denim and T-shirt" era? Gilmour could have rode this riff endlessly with his blues variations. This makes me think that this album is a bit too edited.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:06 pm 

I really like 'Louder Than Words', the track where David Gilmour sings. The rest is very interesting but more for die-hard Floyd fans. But today I did not only buy 'Avonmore' (now available in Germany) but also PF's 'The Division Bell'. A good album for fans who rather like Gilmour's part within the band than Waters'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:23 am 

I bought "Avonmore" meself today. Hmm. There`s something `bout my PC speakers that makes all music sound so delicate. When I play the vinyl in my living room stereo, it sounds a bit muddled in comparision. "The Endless River" vinyl has been great, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:16 am 

Have played the album 3 or 4 times and it's growing on me; seems to suit late night listening best.

Feels more like a Gilmour solo album than a Floyd one to me, but I guess the same customers tend to buy both and won't be unduly disappointed by that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:16 pm 

-Just wanted to say that by "delicate", I mean nice sounding, not "fragile".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:38 pm 

An edgy, psych sounding bonus track from the blue-ray edition;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-vW1-CNXXU