VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Covering Roxy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:35 pm 

Btw, sorry for being off-topic again, but what do you guys think about the "Take refuge in pleasure" album? I didn't even find any snippets from the songs online, and last time I looked it was quite expensive so I didn't want to buy a pig in a poke. Now it seems the used CDs are sold very cheaply, which is possibly also a bad sign, so I'm still quite reluctant to buy it...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:55 pm 

Alan wrote:
The Stranglers - Editions of You
Can - The Bogus Man

Eno (or was it Manzo) once said, didn't he, something like "the bogus man was a bit like something Can could have done".

Alan, I hand it to you...Stranglers doing Editions: fantastic. They are Roxy fans too. I recall hearing a radio interview when Cornwell was praising Roxy. The interviewer made some comment like "the early stuff, right?" Cornwell, said something like "the late stuff too, it is really bold...takes balls to change direction" my paraphrasing is ultra loose. :) I also think Cornwell would have really understood the references and darkness of late Roxy lyrics, which many people don't see. Just like many people don't see what Golden Brown is really about.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:31 pm 

Windswept2 wrote:
Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

Some excellent recommendations from dedicated members of the fraternity.

The album should be titled 'ROXOLOGY' and here are W2's recommendations:

1. Serenade - Brett Anderson
2. In Every Dream Home A Heartache - Cat Power
3. Mother Of Pearl - Nick Cave
4. Running Wild - Lana Del Ray
5. A Song For Europe - Leonard Cohen
6. More Than This - Kristina Train
7. 2HB - Scott Walker
8. Casanova - Paolo Nutini
9. The Only Face - Ray LaMontagne
10.Another Time Another Place - David Bowie

Musical Director: Colin Good
Producer: Bryan Ferry

As a footnote, Zappa's idea of having Scott Walker interpret an entire Roxy album is genius but unfortunately he picked the wrong LP.
It should be 'Stranded' not 'FYP'!

Salutations,
W2

Hipsters,

W2 is pleased to announce that the 'Roxology' cover art will pay homage to 'Country Life' by featuring the original band members posing naked in front of Studio One. Modesty being preserved by strategically placing fig leafs.

Rumours that the shoot was difficult to organise can be confirmed. The principle problem centred around Brian's objection that Bryan's fig leaf was bigger than his. The conflict was resolved by Bryan having Anderson & Sheppard create a larger bespoke leaf for Brian.

The album will be released on April 1st exclusively on vinyl and will feature sleeve notes by a notorious member of this forum.

The initial US edition will feature a blank cover to protect American sensitivities.

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:04 pm 

Pyjamarama - George Formby
Casanova - Serge Gainsbourg
Trash - Tom Waits
Mother of Pearl - Frank Sinatra
Virginia Plain - Liberace
Editions of You - Johnny Kidd and The Pirates
Lover - Marianne Faithfull
Sunset - John Betjeman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:47 pm 

I like your thoughts Rendezvous. Technology should enable the recorded voice of deceased artists to sing any song. Cant be any worse than the recent Barry Manilow "duets" disaster.

Rather than a hotchpotch effect of different artists I would prefer the cohesion of a single artist - Elvis sings Ferry.

Alternatively, Ferryesque by Dylan?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:00 am 

Topiary wrote:
Alternatively, Ferryesque by Dylan?

Cheers Topiary, I was tempted to say the same thing, and wouldn't Bryan die happy if that happened?!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:27 pm 

Scott Walker has a great voice. He is one of a few singers that could do justice to a Ferry song. especially the slower ones. Apparently, Bob Dylan's latest output is an album of Frank Sinatra songs,another of Bryan's influences.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:03 pm 

Ian S wrote:
Scott Walker has a great voice. He is one of a few singers that could do justice to a Ferry song. Especially the slower ones. Apparently, Bob Dylan's latest output is an album of Frank Sinatra songs,another of Bryan's influences.

Fellow Fantasists,
Ian S is not wrong. The great Scott Walker is indeed one of the very few male singers who could do justice to our hero's slower more intense numbers.
Walker's distinct baritone is just one of the greatest voices ever to grace modern music and Zappa's idea that he could do an interpretation of a full album is genius.
Scott was very inspired back in the day by the music of the Belgium singer Jacque Brel (RIP) so maybe he could be hypnotised by some Roxy or maybe he already is.
Brian Eno is, amongst many thinking musicians, a great fan so doubtless he has his number.
One things for sure, if the idea of a ROXY tribute album ever came to pass, Scotts involvement would be the coup of coups.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:19 am 

How about a Killers version of Serenade? Ronnie V's drumming could be great on this one...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:42 am 

DCJ wrote:
How about a Killers version of Serenade? Ronnie V's drumming could be great on this one...

Hipsters,
Another fabulous idea from a Ferry stalwart.
Brandon Flowers or Brett Anderson - that is the question?
Salutations,
W2