VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl box set
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:40 am 

Here's a link to Austrian online magazine 'sempre-audio.at' - for German speaking members of the forum:

http://www.sempre-audio.at/Roxy_Music_- ... d.4350.htm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:01 pm 

7/10 from Uncut Magazine.

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:08 pm 

Hmm, thanks for posting. Nice work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:32 pm 

I notice the vinyl box set has now sold out in the BF.com shop.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:05 am 

Elegantly Ageing & Forever Young Hipsters,
Although I enjoyed Andy Gill's summation of the Roxy albums I can't agree with his assessment of 'Siren' as "sluggish and weak" — oh to be so weak again!
Nor do I understand the tendency for today's critics to be so dismissive of 'Flesh & Blood' and slightly disparaging about 'Avalon'. With the passing of time, it's easy to forget their great merits.
I listened to 'F&B' recently during a car journey and although I would agree 'Eight Miles High' is not their best interpretation, 'Midnight Hour' is fabulous and the rest of the album is just amazing. Furthermore, it was a huge commercial success.
As for 'Avalon', although it is "vaporous" in the positive sense — you can virtually see the mist when you listen to it, it is an album of enormous substance and although the whole is bigger than the parts, the parts themselves are monsters. Simply one of the best albums of all time.
'More Than This', I'm just envious of everybody with a turn table!
Salutations,
Windswept

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:09 pm 

In my opinion, Avalon is one of the best albums ever made in popular music. I also listened to F+B the other day and I really found it fab. Running wild is in a way the best RM song ever with great solos of both AM as well as of PM, very suitable live. Well, all 8 albums contains at least some very good, interesting songs. In my ears acts like Stones, Elton and may more have been doing, so to speak, the same album over and over again. And that´s not the case with our hero!
Salutations de Naxos,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:58 pm 

I think the "sluggish" reference to Siren likely concerns Both Ends Burning which, compared to how it has been played live (as on Viva! albeit with the dreadful Sirens' shrieking), is indeed played at a rather slow tempo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:08 pm 

Re the Flesh + Blood album - I would have loved to have heard "Running Wild" live but having made its surprise appearance at the 2010 festival shows I'm doubtful whether it will appear again. And the wonderful "No Strange Delight" really does need to be played live at some stage.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:09 pm 

yes, but what's it like? We know the music. What does the box set feel like? To hold, to view?

I don't have £180 to spend on it and I bought the 2012 Complete Studio recordings a couple of months back. So I'm not in the market?

Shall I continue to covet vinyl that I would probably never play?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:00 am 

I gave in and ordered my set which arrived today. It looks very nice indeed but I need to make a full inspection of the vinyl inside the sleeves :) The outer box has a "linen finish" like the 7 album set from 1981.

8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next