VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Vinyl box set
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm 

If anyone is still thinking about purchasing the box set this is the lowest price I have found so far:-

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/64895.htm

£124.99 plus £8.00 next day delivery.

8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:31 am 

plus £8.00 next day delivery

& plus how much to have it hand delivered by the Great Man himself,
what a thought! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:46 am 

Analogplanet.com editor Michael Fremer checks out UMe's new Roxy Music 8 LP box set and talks about the band.

https://youtu.be/p1XHqoP-fvk

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:01 am 

Thanks for this post, Roxy!
I also disovered this today by visiting the site he works for: analogplanet.com
Seems to me he received a copy without any damaging on the package and records! Probably not produced on a Monday morning....???
May I state then there is hope for a real mint copy... ;)
Also Fremer promises to place more text reviews on every album soon on the site.....
Plus: a nice review on superdeluxeedition.com, in the comment section of the article relating to the box set, dated april 21, written by a guy named Tim....
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:17 pm 

Attention....!
On may 7th recently, Michael Fremer of analog planet posted a new article on reviewing the box set in depth......
At least he has been listening now to the first three albums.....
Very informative and it will ease some minds, who, like myself, were worried about the sound quality.....
Seems engineer Miles Showell did a pretty good job on "Stranded"...
Check it out....
Headline title of the post is "There is a new sensation"...

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 11:15 pm 

I got my set here in Arizona about 3 weeks ago and can report that the sound quality is excellent. Everything that I was expecting. I noted that the covers although very good don't seem quite as sharp as the originals. The 180 gram records themselves are excellent but are a tight fit in the covers. Some of the sleeves did bear some wrinkling. But I'm very happy with the final product. I've been listening from Avalon backwards so I still have the first 3 to hear yet. At least now I take better care of my lp's than I did 30 years a ago.
I'm so jealous of the Avonmore tour. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:00 am 

The thing about Black Friday & Cyber Monday is they put temptations in the path of the weak willed... ;)

I was convinced that I would avoid this 8LP box, especially at £180, also at £125 (a price discovered by our personal archivist here, Roxy) and even at the £90 offered by Amazon over the past week or two...

However, those prices only served to make Universal's £60 price tag seem reasonable by comparison; if I told you that the courier delivery charge adds £6.95, you'd probably think that I'd bought it. :o

I don't know how long the offer price will be valid, but it still seems to be current in this link (the 10CD box is also offered for £45):

https://store.udiscovermusic.com/*/Blac ... ogue271115

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:17 pm 

Having bought the 2012 CD Remastered studio sets on ebay this year , just before the release of the vinyl box set was announced, I have now also bought that very same set of what I like to call the historical documents in that heavy 180 gms vinyl. ( £59.99 plus £6.95 postage from The Sound of Vinyl)

Will they ever be played on a turntable?

I don't know.

But I do have a set of downloads to compare against the 1999 remasters, and of course the 2012 remasters.

Confused? Yes. Happy? Yes. My ears and eyes tell me so.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:22 pm 

avalon_eyes wrote:

Confused? Yes. Happy? Yes. My ears and eyes tell me so.

Cher avalon_eyes,
Your dedication to the ancient art of Roxology is to be saluted.
This definitely earns you a third dan Black Belt !
Oh how I wish I hadn't gone digital - at least for the maison.
Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:19 pm 

Just a few belated comments on this set...

Very effective outer packaging by the supplier; dents in the outer cardboard did not impact on the near inch thick polystyrene inner protection, much less on the boxed set itself. :D

I slit the shrinkwrap carefully at the opening and have currently left it in place to stop the outer box from getting dusty or marked. The 8 LP sleeves are, needless to say, beautiful; works of art in every sense.

It's particularly nice to see some of them (notably Siren) with a glossier finish than hitherto. The inner sleeves were, as others have commented, very tight fits in the outer covers, but only one (Country Life's lyric sleeve) was very slightly creased.

For a deluxe set, however, I do think the inner sleeves should have been lined with something anti-static, both to avoid surface marks and to prevent noise interference.

The centre labels of the discs are mini artworks in themselves, each differently coloured and bearing the band's name in a variety of familiar typefaces.

7 of the discs had a faint white line across the edge of the opening track of one side only; it was almost like a residue from the cutting of the card inner sleeves. A soft cleaning cloth removed these marks almost completely, however, and the heavy vinyl played beautifully, save for the occasional static noises.

Well worth the £60 cost; up to £80 maybe, but anything above that would have probably have seen common sense win the day (i.e. given how many vinyl and CD versions of the same music many of us already possess). The price was still £180 in BF.com when I last looked... :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7