VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Musically influenced by Roxy Music
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:27 pm 

Now playing Siouxsie and the Banshees.
Their song Slowdive seems to have been heavily influenced by The Bogus Man and Trash 2. It also indicates how good Trash could have been.
Does anyone have any further examples, where it is clear that Roxy Music musically influenced others?

StephenPep

Post subject: Re: Musically influenced by Roxy Music
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:08 pm 

Got to be material from Japan, Duran Duran (-ish), the Australian band, Men Without Hats, Split Enz, Human League, XTC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:59 am 

StephenPep wrote:
Their song Slowdive seems to have been heavily influenced by The Bogus Man and Trash 2. It also indicates how good Trash could have been.
Does anyone have any further examples, where it is clear that Roxy Music musically influenced others?

StephenPep

Siouxsie and bassist Steve Severin met at a gig on the Stranded tour and decided there and then to form a band.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:59 pm 

Zarathustra wrote:
StephenPep wrote:

StephenPep

Siouxsie and bassist Steve Severin met at a gig on the Stranded tour and decided there and then to form a band.

The wonderful Siouxsie and the Banshees. Ms Ballion also contributed to that Roxy documentary a few years back didn't she? Slowdive does have echoes of Roxy...but surely it's all about Can? Check out earlier Can again to hear what I mean.
Severin and Siouxsie met at Siren tour I thought...
Also, Shadowtime was a quasi tribute to Ferry.

Anyway, may I add another influencee: the Great Will Sergeant. Huge Roxy fan. Great, great guitarist and song writer.
And why not throw in Steve Jones? A real Roxy aficionado since for ever. Also a seminal musician.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:37 pm 

Hi RoxySiren, Can (I assume you mean the brilliant German band) were formed in 1968. And yes, I would advocate Can to everyone.

Cheers
Zappa.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:58 pm 

Precisely. One of the greatest bands ever. Slowdive sounds quite like early Can....as does the guitar work on Hong Kong Garden even! Siouxsie and severin acknowledged the influence too.
Btw, I believe [their guitarist] Karoli's sister was one of the girls on the country life cover!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:01 pm 

I would say Icehouse ('Hey Little Girl') and Talk Talk ('It's A Shame') because never had any band's vocals sounded more Roxy/Ferry. Don't forget ABC and even Texas (they often stated their admiration for Roxy Music in interviews). Steve Harley's Cockney Rebel debut album 'The Human Menagerie' (1974) wouldn't have been possible without Roxy's influence. Split Enz from NZ has been already mentioned ('Dizrythmia' co-produced by Phil Manzanera). And for those who know her: Italian singer/songwriter Alice is/was heavily influenced by Roxy Music (Phil Manzanera produced her album 'Park Hotel' and played guitar on 'Nomadi'). By the way - wasn't David Bowie somehow influenced by Roxy Music, too (and vice versa)?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:50 am 

Many, many thanks!
Seems I will be busy on You Tube Today!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:34 pm 

Have we forgotten Japan?

Their albums Quiet life and Gentlemen Take Polaroids were both produced by John Punter who produced Roxy's Country Life.

Steve Nye produced Tin Drum and Ann Odell orchestrations enhance both Ferry's In Your Mind and Japan's Quiet Life.

Given statements that David Sylvian was in his early career, a Ferry imitator, the number of collaborators shared is no surprise, if only to craft Japan's sound into a facsimile of Roxy Music.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:31 am 

Hi EERO; agree on all your comments.

I am presently reading Anthony Reynolds' biography of Japan, whilst listening to Japan's first five studio albums.. in the book there is basically speaking, a comment or cross reference to Roxy Music and/or Bryan on nearly every page... nothing new to the Roxy experts here perhaps, but obviously Japan were very aware of comments and comparisons, and even made a point of David Sylvian not copying Bryan's dancing (?!) on the stage.
As you indicated, their two albums produced by John Punter were similar in some parts to Roxys output. Coincidentally, both Bryan and Japan recorded a version of "All Tomorrow's Parties"...
Roxy Music were simply sensational with their first first track from the 1st album, and stayed at that level. Japan needed three studio albums to gain any sign of positive recognition in the UK at all, before disbanding at their peak with Tin Drum.
Back to the book.... now waiting for Bryan's biography.

Best