VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Where are the deluxe editions?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:41 pm 

UKRichard wrote:
"Oh ye of little faith"
- don't blame fans for their impatience when you've given rise to the frustration to begin with. Simple.

Cher UKRichard,
There is wisdom in your words mais, entre nous, what would we discuss if they took your advice too literally?
a bien tot,
salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:48 pm 
Site Owner

If I can just explain a few things here. I suppose I am damned if I say something and damned if I say nothing.

I am as frustrated as anyone that the deluxe edition of the RM album didn't meet the 40th anniversary when it was first mentioned to be out and that other hints of its release don't come to fruition.

I was in Studio One a few weeks ago on the very subject and I can't say anymore than what is up for consideration for the deluxe edition will certainly satisfy the die hard following if it is all used.

I don't want to say much more than that as I cant anyway and the 'damned if I do' bit I mentioned earlier comes into play when things get changed and 'the messenger gets shot'

I am sure our patience will be rewarded though.

J.O'B.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:37 am 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I am sure our patience will be rewarded though.
J.O'B.

"Patience" is putting it mildly with Roxy... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:45 pm 

Ian S wrote:
You can't blame anyone for making wild assumptions. The history of this band is strange to say the least.. So little information comes out officially. They break up and make up more times than Ive had hot dinners. Ok, That may be an exaggeration, I admit. They missed the boat so many times. The Wembley 1975 video should have been released years ago. Same with the Radio 1 recordings in 1972 and 1973, and the DVD from 2011. By the time anything comes out, its stale and only the diehards buy it. Is this release due to coincide with the 43rd anniversary ? Of course it is, everyone celebrates the 43rd anniversary !!!

Roxy/Ferry always had a certain potential to disappoint their/his fans. When Eno had to leave Roxy (long ago, I know), the hiatus in 1976 (when their career in the States could have started), the split in 1984 (at the heyday of their career), Bryan's overlong breaks between Bête Noire + Taxi and Mamouna + ATGB, the never released 9th Roxy album, cancelled shows (in 2005 Roxy had preferred to play in Berlin instead of Stuttgart), changing drummers (I never managed to see TGPT!), no FYP tour DVD so far and no deluxe edition(s) so far too (sorry, J.O'B) and, BTW, does my favorite band still exist in 2015?

Don't get me wrong, their music was/is the soundtrack of my life, a probably never ending story of fandom since my boyhood. But sometimes it's hard, you know :roll: .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:15 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Ian S wrote:
You can't blame anyone for making wild assumptions. The history of this band is strange to say the least.. So little information comes out officially. They break up and make up more times than Ive had hot dinners. Ok, That may be an exaggeration, I admit. They missed the boat so many times. The Wembley 1975 video should have been released years ago. Same with the Radio 1 recordings in 1972 and 1973, and the DVD from 2011. By the time anything comes out, its stale and only the diehards buy it. Is this release due to coincide with the 43rd anniversary ? Of course it is, everyone celebrates the 43rd anniversary !!!

Roxy/Ferry always had a certain potential to disappoint their/his fans. When Eno had to leave Roxy (long ago, I know), the hiatus in 1976 (when their career in the States could have started), the split in 1984 (at the heyday of their career), Bryan's overlong breaks between Bête Noire + Taxi and Mamouna + ATGB, the never released 9th Roxy album, cancelled shows (in 2005 Roxy had preferred to play in Berlin instead of Stuttgart), changing drummers (I never managed to see TGPT!), no FYP tour DVD so far and no deluxe edition(s) so far too (sorry, J.O'B) and, BTW, does my favorite band still exist in 2015?

Don't get me wrong, their music was/is the soundtrack of my life, a probably never ending story of fandom since my boyhood. But sometimes it's hard, you know :roll: .

Your view of this part of their history is excellent. I can only feel with you. I once said that no-one has disappointed their fans as much as Roxy/Ferry. Then I was met by a denial that took advantage of the openess of my statement, and therefore was way off the topic. A way of cavil, you could say. It really put my objection stone dead. At another occation when it was obvious that also the next album was going to be a solo album (Olympia), a fellow poster had to put a damper on my frustration.

Strange as it may seem, there is something unreasonable about it all that only adds to their mystique. However, if you`re a casual fan, this ain`t a problem at all. The casual fans are only skimming the surface, anyway. Where would they be without them? At the start of their comeback in the studio for the ninth album, all three members were smiling knowingly to each other during a break. -And so it goes...

Roxy is said to have the most patient fans in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:38 pm 

VivaRoxyMusic.com wrote:
I was in Studio One a few weeks ago on the very subject and I can't say anymore than what is up for consideration for the deluxe edition will certainly satisfy the die hard following if it is all used.

J.O'B.

Thanks for your comments John. I'm sure we all appreciate that you yourself are in the difficult position of being aware of more than you are able to divulge, yet still trying to keep the Roxy faithful from mutinying on here. Sadly if things are still being "considered" for inclusion it doesn't sound as though the manufacturing presses will be bursting into life anytime just yet on this. If it takes this long to put together a deluxe edition of album 1 how long will it take to do all 8? We could assume that Bryan has main veto on timing and contents of this - hopefully Andy, Phil and TGPT also have some say too - but my concern is that Bryan may lose interest, with more live shows and seemingly another new (old?) solo album to produce, and that this may join the long list of projects never to come to fruition. Let's hope not. The band deserves a better legacy than that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:20 pm 

Perhaps with Ferry's involvement now in the Graham Simpson documentary the 1st album deluxe release will be tied in with this.