VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Roxy Music Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:33 am 
Site Owner

I thought I would start a new thread on this particular release with the positive news that the planned released date aimed for is around April/May 2016.

I thought I would ask what sort of things fans would like to see in this deluxe edition.

J.O'B.

Post subject: Re: Roxy Music Deluxe Edition
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:52 pm 

The John Peel sessions, especially the extended version of Virginia Plain.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:05 pm 

There should be a Blueray/DVD included with all known early videofootage, 5.1-mix of the album
+ 1 or more cds with all the first John Peel sessions, the BBC concert from summer 1972 and other high quality concert recordings that might exist pre-FYP.

Ole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:51 pm 

No small CD case please. :D I would like to see the packaging the size of the original 12" LP. Rare early photographs of the band and special mention for Graham Simpson. Not fussed about demos but would love all the BBC sessions. Most early film of the band is already out there on various compilations so anything still unseen would be great, even if the quality is of the 1970's.

Anything they might find in the back of the cupboards would be great!! :)

8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:02 pm 

Difficult to say without knowing what's hidden in the archives 8-)

Generally I'd love a lot of previously unreleased material, both live recordings and studio outtakes. I can imagine there are lots of studio outtakes that didn't make it onto the albums because they were not commercial or mainstream enough for the general audience.

And of course lots and lots of live recordings like the already mentioned BBC sessions, Mother of Pearl from Newcastle City Hall 28.10.1974, and other recordings from that area, (like many here have so often said, Viva! should have been a double album). And of course Hammersmith Odeon 18.05.1979.

And of course it would be great if these deluxe editions could actually be affordable for everybody. Can it please not be nine deluxe editions at 100£ each...?!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:10 am 

Assuming we're talking only about the debut one for now, I'd hope for:

*the original demo;
*the relevant BBC sessions;
*any studio out-takes;
*a DVD of any film footage;
*book or booklet of rare or unseen photographs.

If there are any cleaned up live tapes (most 1972 concert bootlegs are of very poor quality), these could be released separately (much like Neil Young's Archive Series), rather than as part of the deluxe boxed set.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:31 am 

Virginia Plain - alternate take
Demo Tape - maybe save Grey Lagoons for FYP edition tho
Peel Sessions
Some live audio
Some live film - there is a clip of 'Would You Believe' from an American concert on 'Total Recall' Video - would like to see complete version if available and licensing issues/cost/space etc allow.
Photos from the period, especially if unseen, and from the recording studio.
Some studio 'chatter', especially if it gives any insight into the evolution of a song - as in 'why don't you try this?'

What I don't want to see:
Anything post 1972 - no concert, or TV performances of material from the album after its year of release.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:56 pm 

x Outtakes (if there are some) 8-)
x Extended versions (like 'Ladytron' on Record Store Day) :D
x Alternate versions :P
x Demo versions ;)
x Some live material (but that's not the most important issue for me) :)
x Photographs (within a book or a booklet) ;)
x What I don't want: Another postponing of April/May 2016 :evil:
x What I hope for the future: A Deluxe Edition of FYP 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:05 pm 

I too assume this is for a deluxe edition of the first LP. Will be great to see it given a long overdue push into today's market.

Packaging was very important and influential. Would like original LP reproduced with high quality photographs and a gatefold sleeve. Signed by all concerned and a pair of bug eye glasses.

A book on the making of the LP, influences, public reaction and live performances etc All with quality photo's.

The music, equally important, should be left as it was on one disc and extras on another disc eg Virginia Plain, outtakes.

A Directors cut would whet my appetite. It would also give the release a purpose especially given that all the music is probably already available and live shows unlikely. Mr Ferry I understand was never to keen on the original production. Can feel a bit murky.

The individual Roxy members have achieved success at production since then and I would love to hear a revisit in their own style.

The release needs a context.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:51 pm 

Topiary wrote:

Mr Ferry I understand was never to keen on the original production. Can feel a bit murky.

The individual Roxy members have achieved success at production since then and I would love to hear a revisit in their own style.

The release needs a context.

I know it won't happen, but I would have liked Chris Thomas to have been given the chance to produce/re-mix at least one track from the master tapes, a la FYP production, to get some idea how it might have sounded. There is a limit to what he could achieve as Bryan's voice seems to have changed somewhat post-tonsilectomy, but it could be interesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next