VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Phil Manzanera Interview On Roxy Music
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:46 pm 

On Facebook I discovered this one from BryanFerry@networld:

Phil Manzanera Interview (Spanish audio) / "Phil Manzanera: “David Gilmour en esta etapa tiene más energía y está súper motivado” (Phil Manzanera: "David Gilmour at this stage has more energy and is super motivated"), Dec. 07, 2015

(translated by Google)
" --- You are also part of the history of music with Roxy Music. The group dropped the curtain in 2011, right out there likely to return?
There is always a possibility. The good thing about being in a band is that there are no rules. Having the freedom to say "we want to work" or "not want to work". If tomorrow I want to get together, we call us and say "let's get together in the studio at 10 and see if we get something." It happens that at the moment everyone is very happy doing other things. But there is always the possibility.
Do they remained a loose end out there who want to return?
Eight years ago, we entered the studio all original, including Brian Eno and the original producer Chris Thomas. We recorded fifteen songs. They have not left. One day, who knows, we may go back to the studio and finish them. But right now it has pleased me is the trip to South America (laughs), so it seems best to finish an album of Roxy Music, right?
Most immediately, it is best for everyone. And in your opinion, what is the importance of Roxy Music in history?
I am very proud of what we did and we were a big influence on many groups. 10, 20, 30 years since we stopped for the first time, we can still say we did something very original and different. And we had and bring to two characters who are still very important in the world of music, Brian Eno and Bryan Ferry. All of us are still working, thank God. It was a special thing that happened all these characters are put together in a group. When I think about it now, it is a rare destination. ---------- "

http://www.futuro.cl/…/phil-manzanera-david-gilmour-en-est…/

15 songs?? Why didn't they release this album?? I'll never understand it ...

Regards, -p-

Post subject: Re: Phil Manzanera Interview On Roxy Music
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:32 am 

Very interesting article. Thank you pianoman.

Last year Phil said : " I think our job is done ".

I`d never believe that, for me it was a sign to Bryan, to show a reaction. And Bryan answered as he said " There are many interesting things lying around and should be actually brought to an end. Who knows... "

The chapter Roxy Music has not yet ended.
But we will - as often happens - still need to have some patience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:18 am 

Uwe wrote:
The chapter Roxy Music has not yet ended.
But we will - as often happens - still need to have some patience.

Some patience, yes, we had and we will have again perhap's. But Bryan is now 70...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:39 am 

jeanjean wrote:
But Bryan is now 70...

It wouldn't be a problem if they'd use Bryan's vocal tracks from 2005/6. His voice was stronger then. Of course they'd have to get back into the studio to finish the album but thank God all original Roxy members are still alive. Wouldn't that be a musical sensation in 2016, 45 years after the foundation of the band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:13 am 

In an interview earlier this year Phil referred to the tracks they recorded as being not good enough and "sub standard" :?

8-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:10 pm 

I think it was an article in 2010 (maybe June ? )

" Rhett Davis has long time ago said there is 10 songs which they all are pleased with " .

I think the album will see the daylight. But before we get another Bryan Ferry Album ( maybe for the tour in autumn 2016 ).

And then we get the long awaited Roxy album combinded with a world tour.

The final end of Bryan and Roxy Music.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:27 pm 

Roxy wrote:
In an interview earlier this year Phil referred to the tracks they recorded as being not good enough and "sub standard" :?

8-)

I know, Roxy, but I simply cannot imagine that Ferry, Mackay, Manzanera, Eno & Thompson can record anything 'sub standard' 8-) .

In the Naughties a lot of famous rock bands of the Seventies came back - against all odds (to cite Phil Collins). Genesis, The Police, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles - and our heroes Roxy Music. They all went on concert tours or gave at least one concert.

Only US country rock band The Eagles published a new double cd set ('Long Road Out Of Eden') - but it was definitely not one of their worst (IPMNSHO, of course ;) ). Many die hard fans would always prefer 'Hotel California' or one of their earlier works but this late album does exist and that's great!

Maybe in a historical context some Roxy fans would prefer 'RM', 'FYP' or 'Stranded' to No. 9, too, but what a gift that would be for us :P !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:34 pm 

Uwe wrote:
And then we get the long awaited Roxy album combinded with a world tour.

Remember the German saying 'Dein Wort in Gottes Ohr', Uwe? Let's hope so, by goodness ;) !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:28 pm 

Elegantly Ageing Hipsters,

If there was a special award for dedication to the ancient art of 'Roxology' the haunters of this hallowed cyber hall who live in hope of a ninth RM album would deservedly win it.

Windswept lui-mêne would love nothing more but is firmly of the opinion that it will never happen.

W2 last saw Roxy in Sydney in 2011 and although the set list was amazing and they were note perfect it was clear that the enthusiasm and bon ami that had been so evident when they first re-united in '01 had well and truly left the stage. The whole thing probably hadn't been helped by the debacle associated with ticket sales but it certainly looked like 'More Than This' and really felt like the end of the project.

As always, Windswept left the show elated (all Roxy is good Roxy - they never had an IYLSE moment) but part of him wished they'd called it a day after the triumph of 2001 and they should only get back together again if they all have a massive passion for it and personally he sadly doubts this.

That said, hope rests eternal for all feather boa lovers.

Salutations,
W2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:42 pm 

Clearly there is something darn near close to a completed Roxy album relating to the recording work that was undertaken in 2005-06.

The only real issue that remains is whether or not BF wants to "click send" and allow it to be released to the public. If he chooses to say Yes it will be released. If he continues to balk and withhold his assent, it will remain unreleased.

Years ago I assumed that BF would eventually get around to saying Yes, if only because this would offer the opportunity for a one last lucrative Roxy tour. But my optimism has faded in recent years as BF has appeared more than satisfied to tour with his Millennial Band (aka "Roxy Lite") and plumb the depths of the Roxy catalog for his own purposes.

Oh well. Nothing I might say will have any impact on this situation and I have been gradually losing interest in the affairs of BF as discussed on the great VRM forum. Lately I''ve been enjoying Disc 3 of the Thrill of it All boxset (the original version of Angel Eyes is a great track!!!). But the notion of a deluxe version of Avonmore is a big yawn for me...