VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Singles
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:39 am 

Cool and interesting response Stabbs. That's made me think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:23 am 

rendezvous wrote:
Cool and interesting response Stabbs. That's made me think.

Roxy were always criticized in the early days for being manufactured, style over substance, having not paid their dos slogging around the working men's clubs and Uni circuit.

For me, 'If It Takes All Night' says "You wanna a bit o' raunch eh? Come and geddit!"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:09 am 

My first Roxy gig was 1974 Glasgow Apollo and IF it Takes All Night went down a storm, as it did on the Newcastle 74 bootleg.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:32 am 

Jerry Nunn wrote:
My first Roxy gig was 1974 Glasgow Apollo and IF it Takes All Night went down a storm, as it did on the Newcastle 74 bootleg.

Agh, but audiences in Glasgow, Newcastle, etc were different then; more Crombie and Dr. Martens than feather boas and French phrases! First gig I saw was the Finsbury Park Rainbow on the Stranded tour, there was a full scale fracas outside!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 am 

Ha ha. Very true Stabbs. Saw Roxy at Wembley Arena in 1980. Audience never got up off their collective asses until the last half hour.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:15 pm 

Jerry Nunn wrote:
Ha ha. Very true Stabbs. Saw Roxy at Wembley Arena in 1980. Audience never got up off their collective asses until the last half hour.

Which was the beauty of Pete Leah's Roxy Music Club; run by Pete from Wallasey, Merseyside, the first six to ten rows of every venue were bought by the club and then sold on at no mark up to club members. So you knew you'd be in the very front rows with like minded people and you didn't give a monkeys about the chair-bound Joe Public behind you!

Similarly with 'spin-off' tickets like PM's 801 at Victoria Palace, all front row stuff.

Whatever happened to Pete Leah, anyone know?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:33 pm 

Jerry Nunn wrote:

I might have been at that concert. I recall the audience being rather sedate the night I went. It wasn't until the opening bars of the recent single 'Over You' that the fans stormed to the front.

I was up to the side about half way back with my brother. We managed to persuade a steward to let us into the main arena where we somehow squeezed through the pack and got right to the front.

It must have been quite loud as my brother had temporary hearing loss for a while on the way home after. Memories eh?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:45 pm 

From memory:

David O'List recalled that the early version of Re-Make/Re-Model didn't have the closing solos at the end. Management were pushing for the band to produce a single and I think O'List may have claimed credit for the idea of the band adding the solos in later versions, including the one that appeared on the debut album after he left. So it's possible the track was mooted as a single at one time.

'Beauty Queen' - Bryan talks in an interview about tracks the band are working on for upcoming FYP album. He suggests in its early form it might be suitable single and had a 'Walker Brothers' feel to it.

'Serenade' - Bryan again I think mentions that an early version of the song showed promise as being single material.

I'm sure there are several other Roxy songs that would have made good singles, but would the 'Great British Public' have bought them?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:16 am 

Whatever happened to Pete Leah, anyone know?

Pete Leay is still alive and well and living in retirement in Wallasey, according to his Facebook profile. Some of our VRM friends are also his FB friends. :)