VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: A fruity baritone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:04 pm 

Years ago - I once read Ferry's voice described as a "fruity baritone". And in listening to old concert tapes (e.g.; the 1974 Country Life tour....) - I could distinctly hear how DEEP his voice was. What the heck happened to his voice? I know this has been talked about repeatedly but when you listen now...he sounds like a breathy whisper - what happened to that deep resonating voice we all came to adore?

I understand why he can't hit the high notes - his distinctive falsetto, etc. - but why has the baritone gone away so TOTALLY???

I guess I have never heard someone's baritone go away so dramatically....Just old age or???

Post subject: Re: A fruity baritone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:19 pm 

FerryFanatic;

His Voice has Matured....
Like a Fine Wine!

And He as Well..

You Cannot Expect a voice like that
To Remain the Same.....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:19 am 

As it was something `bout Bryan`s voice that can`t be expected to last as long as Mick Jagger`s?

Well, I wouldn`t have thought that. Sure there has been stages. He sounds much better in songs originally recorded 10 years ago. 10 further years before that, in the mid-90s, he sounded even better. However, the deterioriation as such I think began as early as sometime between the Bete Noir and the Mamouna album. On the Avonmore album, the best songs are those where the voice is recorded some time ago, that is, the songs where you see that guitarist David Williams is still on board.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:31 am 

We would need a singing coach to explain the reasons for the loss of depth or power, but his speaking voice has similarly got much softer and wistfully whisperish.

It's primarily simply getting older that's to blame imo.....for the first time in my life I didn't perform my new years eve karaoke rendition of Love is the Drug - it's been in demand at the pub for years - cos I just can't do it justice anymore . Previously, if you closed your eyes you'd swear you were listening to the real thing.....so I'm told.....The fact people were 3 sheets to the wind is neither here nor there.

But then if you did close them, you would miss the shoulder swivelling and thumbs in pockets stance.

The Army and Navy store must be wondering I where I was at xmas 2015.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:43 am 

Chere Teresa, tu as raison!
BF is like a good wine - getting better with age. Perhaps it's time to drink less? Go for quality rather than quantity. Anyway, BF;s music has never been for screaming, beer drinking football fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:16 pm 

Dear Oberon;

Touche!

Perfectly Worded
And So Agree!! :lol:

Screamin
Beer Drinkin
Football Fans..
Ummmm=Americans!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bryan is Elegance Personified
In All His Editions....

Last edited by teresa on Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:25 pm 

Dear Rendezvous

Elegantly Worded...
As Usual 8-)

I Would Have Loved
To Hear You Sing LITD....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:40 pm 

The Voice is a complex instrument and vulnerable to the effects of aging. Why some singers' voices hold up better than others as the years pass by is certainly affected by things like cigarette smoking, but there is also a lot of serendipity involved...

Back at the end of the Frantic tour in 2003 BF lost his voice and he was forced to cancel some concerts as a result. Since then it as been a slow but steady descent into the realm of the evocative whisper.

When I see him in July I'll be interested to hear how he sounds. I have no illusions that he 's still 50. I know I'm not!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:57 am 

DCJ..

My Fellow American :lol:
I know I'm Not Either! :lol:

Bryan Is
And Always Will Be
Fabulous.....

I Love His Current Edition.....
The Noir Johnny and Mary
Suits Him Beautifully

Attachments:
Bryan_Ferry_Todd_Terje_video_news_under_the_radar.jpg
Bryan_Ferry_Todd_Terje_video_news_under_the_radar.jpg [ 46.32 KiB | Viewed 15834 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:48 pm 

In the last few recent live shows i've seen - the songs are almost spoken rather than sung and all of the emotion has gone - It leaves you with an emptiness. Yes , Johny and Mary kind of works - it's probably the best thing on the album - Other songs like 'A special kind of guy ' or his dreadful version of "Back to black" leave you hoping that there was a ventilator handy...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next