VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Roxy Madness
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:07 pm 

pianoman wrote:
Thanks for this post! I envy you, Smudge, for having seen this rare concert and for having spoken to some Roxy members. It warms my heart to see the pics of my heroes. To me Roxy Music was always more than Bryan Ferry ;) .

Don't get me wrong, fellow members, I am glad that BF is still publishing songs and still touring the world. But to listen to Andy's oboe, to his unique style of playing the saxophone, to listen to Phil's guitar sound and to Paul's powerful drumming is more than this 8-) .

I suppose it is Bryan who isn't interested in any kind of Roxy reunion and that is something I 'll never understand. Why doesn't he conserve the Roxy heritage? This unique band is where he comes from and he still uses Roxy songs for his shows :? .

By the way, wasn't the Roxy Deluxe album due to release in July ???

I too think it's BF who is against any RM reunion. He said of his last band that this is my Roxy Music from now; so who knows his reasons. If it were to be financial reasons; Andy, Phil & Paul commanding more than BF's touring band thus BF getting less of the cut?
For me they could tour every couple of years without it taking up too much time, record sales would slightly increase and we'd all be much happier.
BF is RM but without "the others" (as he calls them) he isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:10 pm 

Richard to answer your earlier question - Andy, Phil and Paul played live together without Bryan (again with Suggs) back in August 2011 for another charity event in aid of Kilve Cricket Club in Somerset.

There is another post about this and the set list does have some similarities - maybe we could get a new release from this new supergroup and a tour to promote it? Would they be called Roxy Madness or even Mad Roxy?

Either way I'd be in line to buy a ticket especially having missed both these shows - hearing about them after the event.

I don't think there's anything malicious against BF for this recent gig, it was for charity after all and Suggs and Andy are often seen at the same venue. i've seen Suggs at shows by the Metaphors and the Clang Group so expect more of the same. Must keep on top of social media so I don't miss another opportunity.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:56 pm 

-But why has Andy stopped updating his homepage?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:07 pm 

le freak, you are right. BF is inherently Roxy Lite (although some versions of his band are Heavier than others). I'll be seeing him in another week or so and am looking forward to it. But c'mon, Stronger Through the Years without PM (or TGPT) just doesn't seem right...

Regarding the deluxe Roxy first album, I think it was scheduled for release in July 2014!!! Gosh time flies...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:26 am 

@Gary :
" He said of his last band that this is my Roxy Music from now; so who knows his reasons " => absolutely correct !!!

But how he sees the whole thing tomorrow? Byan is like a chameleon - it can change very quickly, everything ...
If the chapter Roxy Music would complete, they would have to communicate it well. But they have not done it, instead the back doors have still left open a crack.

Bryan is a gentleman. He knows how to behave and whom he owes what. It all began with Roxy and it will end with Roxy.

Only the timing is in his view has not yet come to say goodbye.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:11 pm 

He obviously is a gentleman, and expect the same behaviour from journalists, so there you sit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 am 

Thank you Smudge for your report of the event and the photographs which are great to see. It is nice to see Suggs along with Andy, Phil and Paul get together with the other musicians and be so generous with their time in order to help raise funds for a worthwhile cause and I congratulate them on their efforts. I believe that Andy is the connection to the church where the event was held and he may have got the others on board.

http://www.sohofoodfeast.co.uk/cause/

At least........I think that is what the event was and not a meeting of the Three Witches of Avalon plotting to overthrow The King. ;)

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 am 

le freak wrote:
-But why has Andy stopped updating his homepage?

I get the impression from talking to people that The Emperor is notoriously slow about such things! Which is probably why his good friend Jonny Armstrong runs an Andy MacKay - Roxy Music Facebook page?

As for another reunion, because we all want it so badly, we're all assuming/hoping that AM, PM & TGPT are all gagging for it and just waiting for that phone call!

I'm not so sure?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:03 pm 

I doubt PM AM & TGPT are obsessively waiting for word from BF that he wants to do something to revive Roxy Music. But if BF made a serious proposal to revive Roxy I see no reason why they wouldn't respond positively.

Will BF ever make such a proposal? I don't know. I used to think that economic interest would lead BF down that road. But he seems to enjoy the complete control he has touring and recording as a solo performer. Roxy requires him to share the reins with PM and AM and this is something he appears to dislike or even resent. But he could change his mind and go a different direction if he wants to...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:32 pm 

If, either due to declining voice or simply Anno Domini catching up with him, BF decided to go out one last time and announced it as a farewell tour it would surely make greater commercial sense for him to go out as Roxy with the others and play larger venues. Once upon a time it was thought that the Roxy name added several 000s to the attendances compared with a BF show. Would that still be the case after the sporadic live Roxy outings in the last 15 years and without any new band material? Maybe not.

If the deluxe 1st album does finally get released this autumn it will be competing for his audience's wallets with the RAH 74 recording. With BF on tour I would have thought it unlikely that there would be significant promotional activity for the RM reissue - maybe some interviews at best.