VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Boston Gig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:21 am 

The Boston show was a terrific performance by all assembled. It was a little slow to gain momentum, partly I think, because of the venue, an outdoor tent structure. A large portion of the audience was not yet in their seats as the band started. Mrs EERO and I were in aisle seats, which meant that every aging hipster who had a cocktail beforehand stumbled past us as the demands imposed by their enlarged prostates compelled them to make several trips to the loo.

The restless audience made the first two songs a toss off; I rather like Avonmore, but Ferry's vox were low in the mix and band seemed distracted by the milling crowd-who generally not knowing the song, were in no mood to shut up and sit down. The show however, became great. The radio warhorses got the greatest response, Oh Yeah, More Than This, Avalon, Slave to Love-not my favorite songs but I was entranced by the unexpected Beauty Queen and the very powerful If there is Something.

Bete Noir and Zamba, songs which had never really grabbed me, were wonderful live. Dreamhome was a surprise, a large portion of the audience, casual fans took this as an opportunity to attend to the call of nature during the slow build of the first part and seemed surprised by the power of the release, those smart enough to stay in their seats jumping up feeling the moment.
The crowd loved Virginia Plain, though only a few of us hit the call and response of "What's Her Name?" "Virginia Plain". Ferry was dancing away and had to scramble to reach the mike for the final verse-though I don't think many noticed.
Let's Stick Together, which can seem like a tired chestnut was joyous, the crowd dancing and singing along. Ferry was clearly enjoying himself and it was infectious.

Jealous Guy, another chestnut I usually would be happy not to hear again was terrific, so I stand chastened.

On Editions of You, Ferry came in too soon mid-measure on the final verse and the band exchanged nervous glances as they tried to synch with Ferry, professionally done before the verse was through.

I realize I am a little harsh in my critique, and I understand that in a large venue, he has to cater to the casual fan, AND though I not a big fan of his output from Avalon through Bete Noir, the show was terrific. i appreciated the few obscure choices, and the real joy the band exhibited throughout the show.
Ferry's voice was stronger than I expected and I was grateful for that. I do find the note perfect recreation of Roxy Music songs by younger musicians a little odd. I feel that a solo is like a signature and to see Quist play Phil's parts seems like a fraud. Many bands transform their songs over time-Ferry and Roxy have there own tradition of alternate versions of songs. I would rather see a new musician create their own interpretation within the context of the solo than try to play another's part.

Tara, which for me is Mackay's song, seems to be placed just to give Ferry a break. The extended version with the classical guitar part was more successful in 2001 when Spedding played the part. Also the audience ruined each transition cheering loudly throughout this delicate piece. I feel it's a Roxy piece, and lacking a Ferry vocal, doesn't belong in a Ferry setlist.

Also, I was a little surprised that they charged through the setlist, there was no encore. They finished and the house lights came up. I rather appreciated it. I find the ritual of the audience begging for an encore tedious- when we all know they'll be back.

Having missed out on the 2014 show which Ferry cancelled for health reasons, I was delighted to have finally seen him, this for the 7th time, and a little sad because I fear this may be the last.

Set list:
Avonmore
Driving Me Wild
Slave To Love
Don't Stop the Dance
Beauty Queen
Ladytron
Oh Yeah!
Don't Think Twice It's All Right
Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
BĂȘte Noire
Zamba
Stronger Through The Years
Tara
Take A Chance With Me
Remake/Remodel
In Every Dreamhome a Heartache
If There Is Something
More Than This
Avalon
Love Is The Drug
Virginia Plain
Let's Stick Together
Jealous Guy
Editions of You

Last edited by EERO on Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Boston Gig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm 

Thanks, EERO, for this detailed review 8-). It's often more interesting to read the opinion of a Roxy/Ferry expert than the article of a journalist who doesn't have any interest in their/his work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:06 pm 

I agree with previous post comments re: Boston show.
Like the Beacon-NYC show, the first half of the show with BQ/Ladytron were so much stronger than the usual suspects at the end(Love Drug/Jealous Guy, etc.)
The only other comments I would add is in both shows he cut many of the songs off before the end. While rushing through Avonmore(not even 2 minutes in length) I did not mind that much, but both BQ and Remake/Remodel the entire final stanza was not done. Instead, when the solo's end, so does the song and BF does not come back to sing remainder. Very odd. Also since recently adding back Remake into the set list, why not use that as a opener or a encore. The placement of it, following Take a Chance, was odd and caused/appeared like a very "rushed" pace. Still 2 great shows, but not the perfection that used to always be there. As in NYC, his voice remained strong and he seemed to really enjoy himself which the crowd clearly fed off of.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:49 pm 

cpl5938 wrote:
The only other comments I would add is in both shows he cut many of the songs off before the end. While rushing through Avonmore(not even 2 minutes in length) I did not mind that much, but both BQ and Remake/Remodel the entire final stanza was not done. Instead, when the solo's end, so does the song and BF does not come back to sing remainder. Very odd.

Yeah, I forgot to comment on that. The pace of the whole set was blistering... and it seemed like they'd start and fininish a song in a very short time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:02 pm 

EERO:
Your comments re the Boston show losly reflect my thoughts about the recent Philly show. The setlists were a bit different, but not dramatically so.

I agree that the the "hits" featured near the the of the show were actually quite enjoyable. VP, LST. JG, EOY all very good. And ITIS was the highlight. with BF's vocals really hitting the mark.

I enjoyed Tara but the Philly version suffered from the absence of Lucy W on violin.

Also, I encourage everyone to get a copy of the Live 2015 cd. It is VERY listenable, especially cd #1. I wasn't sure what to expect with the cameo of Waddy Wachtel, but he was great, especially on Can't Let Go. And Loop De Li is much better than the studio version on Avonmore...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:18 am 

A few days late by me, but many thanks EERO for the concert review. It made great reading!

Also agree, the Live CD is good, especially CD1.