VivaRoxyMusic.com Forum
A Forum for all Roxy Music fans

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: A Need To Know
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:22 am 

Thank You Michael..

Please keep Em Educated...
They Just don't Know What They're Missin!

It scares me as well that my sons' generation
(age 27)
Does Not Know
Who Cary Grant or Katharine Hepburn are...

Last edited by teresa on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:01 pm 

I was a Progressive Rock fan in the 70's as a teen. I loved Yes, ELP, the Italian bands PFM and Banco del Muttuo Soccorso and especially, King Crimson and their brilliant bass player John Wetton. The local college radio station, WBUR at Brown played an eclectic mix of music and often played the version of Out Of The Blue from Viva. I thought it was pretty cool, but I had preconceived notions of what the band would be like. A large poster of the Stranded cover hung below the cash register counter at Providence's best record store, The Beacon Shops. In my then prudish and sanctimonious way, I thought that was no way that any band who would put a half-naked woman on their record cover could make music of any value.
The summer before I left for college, I had a job at a hotel, cleaning the public rooms. I would be in the bar at 6:00 AM, slopping up the spilled beer beneath the duckboards. Any change I found went into my pocket or into the jukebox-whose one song that possibly interested was Love Is The Drug. So there I was, 17, tired in the early humid summer morning, immersed in the miasma of stale beer, sleepy, sweaty and dancing to Roxy as i mopped the spills away.

At college, I met another King Crimson fan, (Now an avant garde guitarist) who suggested I pick up For Your Pleasure. The die was cast. Though Roxy were in the midst of their first break up, I soon followed with Let's Stick Together, Roxy Music, Viva, In Your Mind-bought both Bride Stripped Bare and Manifesto when they came out and finally saw the band in '79 at the Palladium in New York on the Manifesto tour. I was hooked at that point. The Summer of '79. I followed up with Stranded and its scandalous cover and the even more outrageous Country Life.

Last edited by EERO on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:33 pm 

Thanks EERO,

I didn't know you were another fellow Yank :lol:
A common feeling here it seems is that once
You get a taste of Roxy, you Want More :lol:

I have never heard of the Italian bands you mention, but did hear King Crimson, and I don't know but I would say Frank Zappa and Jethro Tull might be considered pretty innovative for that era as well.. 8-)
Still, Nothing Like Roxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:43 pm 

Hey Teresa,

I still adore King Crimson, though the musical paths of Roxy and Crimson are very different.

KC went through many different line ups, though stabilized briefly in '73-'74 as founder Robert Fripp, John Wetton on Bass and vocals, Bill Bruford on drums David Cross on violin and keyboards.

The connections between the two bands are numerous.

Pete Sinfield, lyricist for KC's first four albums, (and later for Emerson Lake and Palmer and PFM) produced the first Roxy album.

Bryan Ferry once auditioned for the role of lead singer for Crimson but was turned down.

John Wetton, formerly of Mogul Thrash and Family toured on bass with Roxy and played on several Ferry solo records.

Eddie Jobson re-recorded the violin on King Crimson's live album USA.

Robert Fripp and Brian Eno have made several albums together, beginning with No Pussyfooting in 1973.

Fripp played on As The World Turns, the B-side of Ferry's This is Tomorrow.

Former and current Crimson Saxophonist Mel Collins has played on several Ferry and Manzanera solo projects.

I may have missed a few connections, but an interesting place to hear an overlap between the two bands is with Eno's first four solo records.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:11 pm 

EERO,

I loved your post, very descriptive and Steinbeckian

I can imagine, but what are duckboards?

WS2 should get involved in this conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:41 pm 

Rendevous, duckboards are like slightly raise slatted wooden mats that allow beer, or any other liquid for that matter, to fall through, while helping prevent the surface from getting too slippery underfoot.

Now, whatever happened to Windswept and is he coming back? I know there was a bit of a go around and words were exchanged but I hoped he would come back after a week or two. He was a colorful character, that's for sure. If anyone knows him personally, tell him to "allez, vite" back to the forum...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:51 pm 

Rendezvous,

Please share your First Roxy Exposure with Us....
And What Exactly it Was About Them...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:58 am 

Bill and Rendezvous,

We all Really miss WS2, he brought so much Elegant Insight, Fun and Interesting Posts to these Hallowed Halls :D

I have messaged him and I will tell him
Again
How Very Much we Miss His Cybercompany... 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:20 am 

Was taken to Finsbury Park Rainbow to see the STRANDED tour, must have been about 12!

And rest, as they say..........................................................

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:44 am 

December 1973, I was 14. Heard 'Street Life' on the radio and although old enough, wasn't familiar with 'Virginia Plain', or 'Pyjamarama' [it's a long story, so won't bore you with the details here].

So, I knew nothing about the band - I hadn't even seen their TOTP performances of the song on TV. I didn't buy the single, but was in my local record store and had decided to look for an album with Street Life on, or 'Roll Away the Stone' (another single I liked at the time), by Mott The Hoople. I found 'Stranded', and decided to buy that. - I could so easily have bought a Mott LP and who knows may never have become a Roxy fan.

The track that sticks in my memory most from Stranded, (aside from Street Life), is 'Just Like You', as it was the second track I had ever heard by the band.